Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-05-2003, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Oldsmobile Aurora - Anyone have/had one?

I'm looking at replacing the family truckster Olds 88 with either a 99 or 01 Aurora 4.0. Anybody here ever own one of these?

Any chaos or mayhem I should expect? It doesn't look like a ton of fun to work on with that big ole V8 shoehorned in there, but oh well...it'll be a good ride for the Mrs. All the reviews I've read so far say that they are pretty good, and for the price that these can be nearly stolen for, they are very hard to refuse

Related...anyone have an open carfax account currently? I may need to run a few VINs and would appreciate the help.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 06-05-2003, 08:14 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
I've not owned one... but I have had the pleasure of driving one for about a month at one point. First, my impressions of the car; (this is for the '99... I haven't had the opportunity to drive a 2001)

1. Very comfortable ride, though not as fast as it looks. Definitely less acceleration than similar V8 competitors but more than acceptable on the highway. I think my Acura TL accelerates better.

2. An interior that's quiet and very easy to spend time in, but some cheap and chintzy parts. Hey, it's GM!

3. Engine seems relatively easy to work on, though space is tight under that hood.

4. Got about 19-20mpg on average. Not bad... but burns premium.

Okay, now some caveats from the mechanic whose Aurora I was driving;

1. This car also has a weak transmission. Figure about 85,000 to 100,000 miles and the tranny will need rebuilt. Heat buildup also seems to be the problem, and a cooler does seem to do the trick (the one I drove was at 130,000... cooler was installed with rebuild at 90,000)

2. Water pump will detonate with zero warning, but runs for a while.

Could be a good car if you take care of it.

As I said, this is all '99 model year, never driven a 2000.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-05-2003, 08:24 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Not to mention that the crankcase is split at the crank, like a girdle. When it leaks (and they usually do) it's pull the engine and flip it over time. $$$$ Just about anything to do with the engine is expensive. BTW - 'pulling the engine' is a colloquialism, it drops out from the bottom, on the cradle, with the tranny, etc.

I think they're kinda cool cars, in a Toronado (original) sort of way. I'd just be leery about buying one.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Well, I have one as my daily driver. It is a '95 and got it for a steal (or though it seemed) a little less than two years ago for 7 grand with 75,000 miles. I had to put in some work right off the bat due to neglect and a shady dealership. They are a little tough to work on and if you can't do the work yourself (like me, dernit) it will cost a pretty penny do get just about anything fixed. I've had a buch of problems with mine, from what I've heard they are uncommon ones. My transmission is messed up again, after getting it pulled and fixed shortly after purchase. I also got a crack in the block by the exhaust manifold... leaked coolan like mad... stopleak has kept her alive pretty well. Control arms are shot again after replacing them a month ago.

I like the car. Pretty comfy and easy to use dash controls since they are aimed at the driver. I think it is actully pretty quick. I often lose of a stop (due to 4000 lb curb weight) but once she gets rolling... reels most in with no problem. I have taken down a new BMW 330i (I believe), lincoln mark VIII, STS's, A4s, Celica GTSs, eclipses (turbo), a really nice Acura TL or RL (was a little tough... he had a big jump on me). She ain't too shabby.

I like the battery placement... under the rear seat. I average around 18-20 mpg. Sounds real nice with intake silencer removed. I like them for the most part... I'd go for it if you can get one in good shape for cheap. Just remember that it basically a Cadillac (many shared parts) and small problems can cost you.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 06-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I think they're cool. I remember hot rod put in a nitrous kit on a rental Aurora.... it HAULED ASS....

- Rob

PS: I like the S/Cd Buick Rivs better, but they're 2 door.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Superbeast

Don't get one!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!