Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-04-2003, 04:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to IwantaSVX Send a message via AIM to IwantaSVX
Calling Beav.....AWD Question.

Beav,
I recently bought a '94 LSI. The AWD is delayed. I have to get the front wheels to slip quite a bit before the back will engage with a "thud". I put the car up in the air with all the tires off of the ground and my results were less than pleasing. The front wheels spin and the ONLY way I get the rear wheels to engage is to floor it very quick but as soon as I let up so do they. I bought this off a dealer and brought this to their attention. Considering this dealer is 300 miles away we agreed I would take it to the local Subaru Dealer. I'm not very pleased with their results either. They charged me $184 to tell me that they would have to disassemble the extension housing to be sure of the cause.

The car is showing a TCU code #32 Speed Sensor #1. I realize the TCU uses both speed sensors to determine the split required for the AWD, however, I have gone through my Alldata manual and it does not show Speed Sensor 1 as a cause for front wheel slippage only Speed Sensor #2. My theory is the TCU is giving me this code because there is another problem causing the AWD to engage slow (Solenoid, Clutches, etc...) and this sensor is not reading correctly (indicating the AWD not working properly). I have cleared the codes and the #32 is coming back but only showing up under Previous problems not current. I am NOT getting a flashing power light.

I tried a variety of things while I had the car in the air. I tried to stop both front wheels seperately then together to see if I could get the rear wheels to engage and I was not sucessful.

The dealer wrote they performed a flow chart diagram and found NO AC voltage at the TCU for Speed Sensor 1. They called me to inform me they thought it may have been the problem but they needed to take pressure checks to cover all bases. I gave the OK and a few hours later they reported back that: they were getting odd pressure readings and they called SOA to try and figure out what would cause the pressure readings to be off. The Subaru tech line stated that the most likely cause is the tailshaft housing is grooved from the sealing rings and it is letting fluid pass by.

My car has 3 matching Dayton tires and a mismatch on the front right. I can't be certain how long it has been like this. I have the receipt for the tires (put on near 60K miles) and the car now has 115K miles. I asked the Subaru dealer if this could have worn the clutches but the Service guy stated that since they were the same size it should be OK. Said something about they have to be same circumference. I talked with the doctor who was the original and only owner. He traded the car in on a new Subaru in early December '02. He stated the AWD worked fine and he was telling me that with this car "Its always "4WD". So, by my conversation with him if the AWD had been slow to react on him, I think he would have noticed it.

I'm just looking to get a few other opinions. The dealer I bought the car off of did not like the local Subaru Dealer's $1200 estimate (inlcuding a flush) so it appears I will be taking it back to NY so his Subaru mechanic can look at it. Although I'm going to stand side by side with his mechanic and watch his every move....he will not be doing no mickey mouse fixing for his friend, the Dealer.

P.S. My transmission number is 695144. According to the information I have read on SubaruSVX.com this is the latest transmission with all the updates including the new seals in the tailshaft housing that are not supposed to wear the housing. So, if SOA is correct about the cause maybe I should go after them for the repair bill?!?!
Old 06-04-2003, 05:12 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Just curious... under what conditions do you break loose the front wheels? Do the front tires chirp when you gas it from a stop sign?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:13 PM

I agree the speed sensor signal maybe an induced problem - if you run your car with the wheels of the ground, and the rear wheels do not spin, TCU will think it is a sensor, because it assumes that rear wheels always rotate with the front ones...

Re odd pressure readings, one of the possible reasons is a duty solenoid on transfer clutch fluid pressure line. This solenoids are always in operation and as a consequence they wear out (more a matter of running hours, rather than miles). Opening up extension housing and looking might be the only possible step to do before starting to replace parts. If it was my car I'd start with the duty solenoid and if it did not help - continued with the extension valve body and/or clutch pack.

The good news it should not be terribly expensive - does not require transmission to come out.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:36 PM

The car breaks loose easily in dirt/gravel/wet pavement. I've been driving it easy enough that it won't break loose on dry pavement but the torque steer is nasty if you pour on the coal. Although, my '92 LS-L AWD did not work and I drove it for 5K miles before the high clutch in the transmission went. It was very hard to get the tires to break loose on dry pavement. Torque steer is nasty......especially in an SVX!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:15 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
that's what my AWD is doing
i ahve no rwd, it's just fwd, wheels break free very very easily
and the torque steer is horrible
it's been suggested to me that it's a solenoid not the clutches
Old 06-05-2003, 05:49 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree with gl1674. If you have a lot of miles you might also consider having the clutch pack rebuilt while somebody else is paying for the rest of the job.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:26 PM

The car has been acting oddly since the Dealer did their diagnostic tests. It begins with the AWD engaging radomly while driving (you can feel it) and when the car is cold it will hold 1st gear until ~3500rpm when it shifts firmly. Finally the AWD quit completely. I put in up in the garage and confirmed this. Next I reset the computer and it seemed the AWD was working again (still slow) and the 1st gear problem went away, but, these problems reoccured today. I think these problems are all related to the AWD as I drove with the FWD fuse in yesterday and I experienced none of the mentioned problems. The car even seemed to shift better when I had driven it for a while with the fuse in.