How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-21-2003, 08:55 PM
FifthElement

Sunroof troubles?

Ever since I purchased my vehicle, I would always have to help out the sunroof to open up by giving it a little push upwards while pressing the open button. I attempted to oil up the track, but no help. Research showed me this was a common problem with the SVX.

Well last week I tried again. This time I oiled up every concievable part near the track I could find with some 3 in 1 oil. I then worked the roof open and shut repeatedly, making sure to everything was lubed. I am happy to say that the sunroof does now indeed open up on its own without any help.....3/4 of the time!
Old 05-22-2003, 05:48 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have found that the the felt sealing strip around the sun roof will stick to the inside section of the car roof. Cleaning the sun roof strip and cleaning the metal car roof at the rear of the sun roof helps alot. Waxing the car roof with the sun roof open helps too. Gets that last 25% of the time, depending on the temperature, wet or dry and humidty level. You see the roof moves back before it goes up. When it moves back the strip is pushed into the car roof. When this area is not waxed it is sticky and the sun roof can not move up. I still push mine up because I don't clean and wax it often enough.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:33 AM

Had the same problem for a couple of years, until I found this and I now have no more need to "give it a helping push", regards dave
1992 Subaru SVX 6-3300cc 3.3L DOHC
Sticking Sun Roof

9215subaru01

NUMBER: 12-53-9
DATE: 12-16-91

APPLICABILITY SVX
SUBJECT: SVX STICKING SUN ROOF

The SVX sun roof weatherstrip should be lubricated with a silicone spray at PDI. This will prevent a sticking complaint when operating the sun roof of a new vehicle. The sticking is caused by a high sliding resistance between the new weatherstrip and the roof panel.

With use and age, the weatherstrip will conform to the roof panel and no future problems will be encountered.

A production change has been incorporated to modify the weatherstrip and to eliminate the necessity for PDI lubrication:

Starting Vin: N*106751
Starting Date: November 4, 1991

Sunroofs on all vehicles produced prior to this change should be lubricated at PDI. This will help ensure customer satisfaction by eliminating a potential complaint.