SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

The third cat can not act as a resonator, there has to be a large volume for the gas to expand into and the cat is full of a ceramic honeycomb. The resonator is full of nothing, this is where the gas pressure is disapated.

Its effectiveness is related to the speed of the engine, not much at low rpms 2k to 3k, most important 4k up, overtaking power will suffer.

Harvey.
The third cat in the US models has cat material in the center and then fairly open volume area forward and rear of the cat material.

I understand what you're saying with regard to overtaking power, but it hasn't been my experience with my own car that that is the case. Obviously it's hard to know without dyno plots but the car doesn't seem any slower.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Porter

The third cat in the US models has cat material in the center and then fairly open volume area forward and rear of the cat material.

I understand what you're saying with regard to overtaking power, but it hasn't been my experience with my own car that that is the case. Obviously it's hard to know without dyno plots but the car doesn't seem any slower.
You were probably removing your cats or fixing other problems at the same time. I went from no resonator to the magnaflow high flow resnonator and the difference was noticeable. Genuine noticeable difference is a big difference. I know what you did was free and all but If I were you I'd consider the magnaflow high flow resonator as one of my next performance upgrades. If you do I think you'll be coming back saying..."wo, what a difference. I never would have guessed." It's not that much money. It's worth it.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Jimsbaby

what if

what if instead of a resonator u put a small muffler there?? would this do anything? then just run pipe from there out the rear? bear with me as i dont really know much about this stuff at all just an idea....

Jim
Old 02-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
where can you get the high flow resonators, and does it make the car sound fartcan-ish... cause that would REALLY piss me off

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 02-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
where can you get the high flow resonators, and does it make the car sound fartcan-ish... cause that would REALLY piss me off
Dayle carries the high flow resonators. I don't recall him mentioning any "fartcan-ish" sound to this mod.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
i was thinking more any type of store that might be local... dayle is awesome with stuff like that, but shipping tends to push the price up

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 02-24-2004, 03:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ding N' Prayer
I had this done on my car last summer. New pipe from center cat back to a 4" dia. 14" muffler to stock muffler. Total cost with labor ...$60. No more rattle, buzz, or weezing. This was a independant shop specializing in custom systems. I anm very pleased with this set up. The resonator is NOT a cat. It is a sound suppression device. Good luck!

'92 Teal LS-L Sold to North Carolinaians!
1972+'73 BMW 2002 tii('72) someday I'll finish restoring them,...someday (for sale)
Old 02-24-2004, 03:36 PM
rcraven32

Resonator

I got Dayles resonator for under $50 and had it put in at a local shop for $25.

Sounds almost like the original exhaust. Maybe a little throatier.

The shop said they could have sold me a glass pacl that would do the same. I have no Isea if this is true, but I like it as it is now.

I would do it all over exactly the same today.

Ryan
Old 02-26-2004, 04:23 PM

I don't think that the EURO system is similar to the US system, but I have "sliced" up my resonator and modified it a little.

This surgey was called by a ratteling noise at 2200 rpm, and was diagnosed (by listening under the car) to be the resonator.

I just opened the bottom of the whole thing, and welded the loose "middle" wall in place, wich was emitting the noises.

I then made some more holes in that middle wall to improve flow, and welded the the bottom piece back.

If I can remember the layout inside the resonator I'll maybe make a drawing of it's principials

The operation resulted in a noticeably increase of power in the high rpm area, and no sound increase.

After this, I "slipstreamed" or maybe "slipjointed" with a Porsche 911 to a amazing 267km/h ! , but then again, I DO HAVE A EURO version, and added to that, A -92 , wich are claimed to be the fastest

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-26-2004, 05:02 PM
JLittell

That sure is a lot of work! You can get an aftermarket for 30-50 bucks! Then again you saved some money!

Last edited by JLittell; 02-26-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Jimsbaby

hmmmm

no one said anything about my idea for the small muffler in its place that mean no one tryed it or its just too stupid to work??

Jim
Old 02-26-2004, 05:10 PM

Sure, but I cannot imagine that there is a "bolt on" replacement that matches lenght flanges and so on, so if you buy a replacement, you have to cut and weld anyways

/Sonny

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-26-2004, 05:21 PM

And sure, why not a muffler, but the resonator is not a regulary muffler, it is sort of more tuned in it's function.

But then again, why a muffler? , weld in a pipe instead!

I have built MANY exhaust systems of aftermarket , standard parts, and they work just fine.

On my turbo engines, I have just two mufflers of the "straight thru" model, and they are very nice.

This is possible because the turbo itself is a very good muffler!

On my XT, I had a 3½" downpipe , then a 3" small muffler, then a 3 to 2½" adapter and last a little bigger muffler (nice tones)

But if you add a muffler in the SVX's resonators place, make it a 2 - 2½" straight-thru type.

/Sonny

Old 02-27-2004, 12:52 AM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
i don't have a straight pipe through my resonator i have a rattly one
however i have heard svx's with a straight pipe through there and it sounds raspy to me
i think a couple people have had success at replacing it with a cherry bomb glass pack and not have any noticable change

on my impreza, i have a full cat back custom exhaust system with no resonator, it's 2.25" pipe the entire way back, and the car is much faster than with the stock 1.75" pipe and resonator through the entire powerband, it also has an aftermarket muffler on it as well... and the car is loud, very loud, it sets of car alarms...
what does this have to do with the svx resonator you ask?
my suggestion would be if your going to have it into the exhaust shop have them replace the entire pipe from the cat to the muffler while they're under there, shouldn't cost much more, mine came to 60 dollars total and that was including mounting and hanging and welding in the SS muffler. i went to a minekee however where i was recomended because of one of the guys working there

i have been back since and found that pennsylvania has passed laws disallowing the change of exhaust by a shop from what was on there at all, if it has a muffler here and here it needs one when they're through if it has a cat here and here it needs one here and here when they're done.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:37 AM

I brought my svx to the local muffler shop and I told the guy that my car was making an annoying rattling noice during certain rpm's. I then told him to just replace the resonator with a straight pipe. He put it up on the rack, banged a few spots to see where the rattling was coming from. Then he found that the heatshield was loose. He wielded a few spots, and 5 mins and 10 bucks later, no more rattling heatshield.