Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-28-2018, 06:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
HVAC code 14 & 15

Hello all,

I'm experiencing the following two codes in the HVAC system, code 14, 15.

14 - evap sensor
15 - refrigerant temp sensor

Even though they check out fine using the manual and a DVM, I might just drop the Evaporator under the dash and replace these two sensors. I also might have a dead mouse in there some where and it's smells. The blower is clean so I'm guessing there's a nest in the evap somewhere, I hope.

I found this diagram and I see two sensors, items #4, #5 but not sure if these are the correct sensors for code 14, 15.

https://www.subaruparts.com/auto-par...omponents-scat

Item 4 is called Overload sensor
Item 5 is called Cooling sensor (discontinued).

Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 08-29-2018, 04:32 AM

Re: HVAC code 14 & 15

Both still available from Subaru warehouse in Japan - just flick the numbers in top RH corner inquiry -

https://www.amayama.com/en

this is where I get my parts from.........

plus they do other Japanese parts, just select a manufacturer from the list at bottom LHS
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Both still available from Subaru warehouse in Japan - just flick the numbers in top RH corner inquiry -

https://www.amayama.com/en

this is where I get my parts from.........

plus they do other Japanese parts, just select a manufacturer from the list at bottom LHS
Thanks for the info. I tried punching in my VIN and my vehicle didn't come up. Furthermore, I see Alcyone SVX as the only option on that site. How do you navigate this site?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 08-30-2018, 05:50 PM

I would just punch in the numbers at top RHS, then scrool down to see availability near bottom of page.

Before you can buy anything you need to join - let them know your address and card details (it is safe - I've been using this company for over 15 years).
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
I would just punch in the numbers at top RHS, then scrool down to see availability near bottom of page.

Before you can buy anything you need to join - let them know your address and card details (it is safe - I've been using this company for over 15 years).
Ok, I got it now. My parts are available and for not much money, HOLY COW!! let me pull the evap out and do a quick resistance test on these two sensor and see if I find anything else that needs to be replaced.

Thank you.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 08-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Yes the cost is fairly cheap, postage may sting you on smaller items (bit like sending stuff out of the USA).
Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 PM

I took the evap out of the car and it's full of mice crap. There's a dead mouse in the air path somewhere that I need to find because it stinks in the cab. But, in the meantime I tested out the two sensors and they checked out fine according to the FSM. The resistance values are what they should be given the ambient air temps. I'll clean up the mice crap, put everything back then find where the disconnect is. The HVAC ECU must not be picking up the two sensors so I need to find the wiring disconnect.

One of the picture shows the two connectors for the two sensors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HVAC1.jpg (960.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC2.jpg (986.9 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg HVAC3.jpg (604.6 KB, 221 views)

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM

Found mouse!!!!

Finally found the dead mouse that's been stinking up the car. It was found in the passenger side of the windshield cowl area. This is one of the areas of the car where fresh air is sucked into the cab. This is also the area where the water naturally drains out of the cowl (base of the windshield) after it rains or after a car wash. This is also an area where years of pine needles and the usual debris collect and pile up on both sides of the car. Unfortunately, this tends to pile up under the windshield wiper motor, which happens to be on the pass side of the cowl. After this pile builds up and doesn't empty itself out, moisture tends to accumulate and you may have rust issues. Thankfully I live in NM so I only saw dampness from the last rain as we're in a monsoon season right now.

Just so everyone knows, the ENTIRE cowl area that's under the windshield and behind the dash is open from left to right. So, if you were to shove water through a garden hose on the left side, water will come out of the right side and also fall into the fresh air vent So, don't do this but just letting you know how the air flows.

Removal of the cowl is a minor PITA but well worth it to clean this area out. I followed the FSM instructions and they were pretty spot on.

Additional debris was found INSIDE the cowl where the lever to rotate the driver side wiper arm resides. Mouse has been building a nest using home insulation in this area for a long time. Anyway, lots of vacuuming later, everything is clean. Now, I'm going to find stainless steel wool to stuff everywhere and to put window screening under the plastic cowl grating (that you see normally).

I wish it was easy to block this entire passageway out with using window screen or chicken wire. However, due to the driver side wiper arm linkage going in/out of the air passageway, I figured SS wool might be a viable option but I'm open to ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180911_194740.jpg (364.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 20180911_194748.jpg (353.3 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg 20180911_194319.jpg (436.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 20180911_194017.jpg (446.6 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 20180911_192224.jpg (356.1 KB, 226 views)

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

That mouse looks like it's in a prime stage of decomposition for major stinko-rama! The rainfall must have made it even worse.
Good job on the clean out.