How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2024, 03:58 PM

Water pump replacements?

What do you folks use as a replacement water pump for the SVX?

There are two Subaru part codes that seem relevant:
21111AA033 - this pump is with two outlets
21111AA070 - this pump is with three outlets, with one line going to the oil cooler. There's only one picture of this pump in the internet, and the code is not recognized by Subaru but should be a valid FHI code.

So far the two pumps that we've tried are Aisin WPF002 and WPF006.
WPF002 does not fit, and has only one outlet, despite marketed as a replacement pump.
WPF006 roller would leave about half an inch of the timing belt unsupported, looks like it's too short to be used.

I'm aware of GMB160-2050, which seems to be a bit better on how far up the roller reaches. I haven't seen if they have a three outlet version available for the pump.

Any tips and ideas what pump would fit from which vendor? We can probably make do with two outlets. Wouldn't want to reuse the old pump, unless I absolutely have to.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:55 PM

Re: Water pump replacements?

Hello,

Is 21111AA033 no longer available now?

According to part list, compatible parts of X211AA000 (water pump kit) are

21111AA033 water pump complete
21114AA051 gasket water pump
21116AA020 sealing water pump
21234AA010 gasket thermostat

Also yahoo says

https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/i...0bjnmlnsc.html

21111AA033 21111-AA060 21111-AA061 21111-AA062

Genuine 21111-AA062 seems still available. JPY17,900
https://www.monotaro.com/g/04520363/

Also, GWSU-12A of GMB JPY6,390 seems okey.

https://www.monotaro.com/p/0992/5772/?t.q=21111AA033

Pls check it.
Old 03-26-2024, 07:13 AM

Thank you Noriyasu for taking your time to reply.

Apologies for not posting pictures earlier, this should make it a bit easier to see the issue. The SVX in question is MY1992 - as far as I know.

Here's the pump from the vehicle, with three outlets, one of them towards the oil cooler.

I've added a couple of markers to this photo to show a couple of features of the original pump.

Here's WPF006 from Aisin (it has three outlets too), with added markers. The roller in the Aisin pump is not high enough for the timing belt to fully latch on.

I'd need to see photos of the water pumps from this angle to check if they actually fit. I don't know if there's something odd in my SVX, or if the oil cooler has been retrofitted into it at some point.

Yahoo Japan does not ship goods to European Economic Area, so the link does not open for me.

GWSU-12B has one water outlet, we'd prefer a pump with at least two outlets. We can circumvent the need for the third outlet as long as the pump fits.

I'd need to get Monotaro's page translated somehow to order something from them. A genuine 21111AA033 does not seem to be available here, but I'll go check from the local Subaru dealer.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:21 AM

Oh, Finland...

Can you see this ?

https://store-shopping-yahoo-co-jp.t..._x_tr_pto=wapp

I wrote this just to see compatibility. In the photo, there are only two outlet.

I found the photo when I replace the water pump and attach these. mine is '92. Pls refer. outlet seems two except thermostat in this photo too.

Also, important distance is from is from the engine block to the top(or bottom) of the pulley. Also, from block to base of idler. Pls try to measure it.
It may just be the mounting height of the thermostat cover that is different. It doesn't seem to interfere with the timing belt cover.

For the monotaro, it will ship only Japan domestic. I sometimes refer to this shopping site to check if the part has been discontinued or not. Discontinued parts usually appear as such. For reference, it's a little more expensive than buying from a dealer because of the shipping charges.

21111-AA061 seems discontinued.
21111-AA062 seems still available. I'm not sure it shape quite same as AA033

You may able to get from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225212446610
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91394539_70.jpg (39.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 91394539_157.jpg (37.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1548659952_28.jpg (46.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 1548659952_196.jpg (52.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-26-2024, 10:50 AM

Hi

WPF-008,21111-AA060/061 and GWSU-16A seems does not fit to SVX. See review of amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Aisin-WPF-008.../dp/B008EEYXZW

umm.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:37 PM

Thank you for these checks!

I can see the translated page, but the pictures are not loading.

Yes, I'm actually Finnish. Here, Mika is a male name, which has caused a couple of confusions on my travels to Taiwan. Can't imagine what it would be in Japan.

We measured the distance from the engine block to the pulley top, WPF006 is about 10 mm shorter. It does look like the pulley height in 21111-061/62 is not high enough as stated in the review.

There is an Ebay option of the GMB water pump which seems to be of correct height. In the manufacturer's pictures, it does seem to have similar height.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika View Post
Thank you for these checks!

I can see the translated page, but the pictures are not loading.

Yes, I'm actually Finnish. Here, Mika is a male name, which has caused a couple of confusions on my travels to Taiwan. Can't imagine what it would be in Japan.

We measured the distance from the engine block to the pulley top, WPF006 is about 10 mm shorter. It does look like the pulley height in 21111-061/62 is not high enough as stated in the review.

There is an Ebay option of the GMB water pump which seems to be of correct height. In the manufacturer's pictures, it does seem to have similar height.
Hi, Mika is female name in Japan. Although Japanese names are written in kanji(Chinese character), Mika means fragrant beautifully or beautiful summer. There are many Japanese people going to Taiwan, so that may have caused confusion.

So, I sent the question message about compatibility to Yahoo shop with URL of amazon review. In many cases, web shop photos are unreliable. The photos may have been selected by non-experts who do not understand the product well.

On the other hand, the Legacy 2.2L model is listed in the product compatibility information on eBay. EG33 has a history of adding two cylinders based on EJ22. Similar parts may have been used on that. What about confirming your eBay shop about compatibility? eBay has a 30-day money back guarantee, so if it doesn't work, you can return it.

My SVX's engine was overhauled 4 and a half years ago, so I don't think I'll ever replace the water pump again in the future, but since many parts are discontinued, I think your information would be helpful to everyone.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:30 AM

Regarding the availability of the genuine 21111AA033 water pump, Subaru Finland says the part is no longer available. Amayama does not list it either.

I have ordered GMB 160-2050 from Ebay, the general prescription is available from the vendor's site here. Fingers crossed that this will fit. I'll let you know how this goes.

We're overhauling this EG33 as the head gasket was leaking and pushed the coolant to the expansion tank. The former gaskets were not MLS, and allowed coolant to enter cylinders 5 and 4. Luckily no significant damage to the cylinder walls.

It's a thing of its own to repair a 30 year old car with limited production numbers!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:20 PM

The total production volume was 24,379. Of these, only 5,951 units are registered in Japan.

The authenticity is uncertain, but it seems that the number of registered cars in Japan a few years ago was 865.

Due to the discontinuation of many parts, the number seems to be rapidly decreasing as they are unable to pass vehicle inspection.

The SVX has a defect where when the electromagnetic clutch of the air conditioner compressor is damaged, the fuse of radiator fan will blow and the radiator fan will not work. In my case, this caused overheating and damage to the head gasket. At that time, the genuine head gasket was already discontinued, so I used Cometic-066-MLS. FYI