SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2003, 07:53 AM
StaceyVX

Cool I Need Advice...Again

I'm sorry I keep asking for opinions, but I don't want to get myself into anything that will be a problem...Okay, I'm now looking at a 92 touring SVX near me and here's the lowdown.

Here's all the info I obtained from the guy:
"I took the car on a road trip in October (Springfield, MA), and it was perfect. Since then, I've driven it for the day maybe once or twice a month. Other than what's described in the listing (the window switch), there's nothing I'm aware of that needs to be fixed. There are a couple non-issues that someone might decide they would rather have taken care of - one is the 'check engine' light on the dash comes on intermiitantly: it's been that way for years; I had the dealer evaluate it and was told that when they hooked up the computer to it, since it was triggering error codes randomly and with no pattern, then they decided it must be a fault in the wiring harness and it was up to me if I wanted them to perform electrical diagnostics to see if they could pinpoint ithe source of the false errors. Since such work could take hours, I decided it wasn't worth it, and that I'd live with the light. The other one is in one of the exhaust pipes - when the tach is exactly on 2k, and only 2k, you sometimes hear a buzzing sound. This comes from the fact that inside a sealed area in one of the exhaust pipes is a section containing baffling, and one of the baffles has come loose, and as the air passes through it, at a certain speed, it causes it to vibrate at a certain harmonic. When I had this looked at, they told me it was again my choice whether to replace it for a few hundred bucks (dealer cost; I'm sure it's a lot less with used parts), or to just live with the harmless but sometimes annoying sound. So since I wasn't going to drive it terribly often, I chose not to spend on the replacement. This also was several years ago. And the tires are in good shape, some tread wear, but a good deal of life left. You'll check that out when you see it.

I've had a chance to go through the service records; I'll brief you on a few highlights. The car currently has 125,700 miles. The timing belt was done in '99, at 93,000 miles. Power steering rack was done at 45,000 miles. Left side CV boot was replaced at 78,000 miles (and I'm pretty sure the other side was done at some point, but didn't find the invoice). A 4-wheel alignment was done at 82,000 miles. Both front lower ball joints at 87,000. Both steering rack ends and both front mcpherson struts and tie rods at 87,000. New windshield at about 95,000. Mass airflow meter, drive belts and a/c belt at 102,000. New alternator at 103,000. New oil pump and engine seals (to repair oil leak) at 115,000. Front brakes & rotors last done at 116,000, rears last done at 98,000." All of these were dealer serviced.

It also had a new trans installed in Oct. 2000. When he talked about the condition of the car he said, "PA State Safety Inspection is current, and the car's condition is very good overall: exterior has a small number of minor marks, commensurate with a car of this age. Nothing really bad, just if you look very closely you can spot them. A few teeny chips in the paint near the lip of the hood, highway stones probably. Interior looks almost new, with a couple small areas on each front seat leather showing its age, maybe from rubbing, or long term sun exposure. The only part known not to function is the driver-side switch for the passenger-side front window. Goes down, but to go up, needs to use passenger-side switch. "

Here are the pictures of the car; let me know what you guys think and how much you would offer him. Thanks for reading all of this.

http://mysite.verizon.net/pcss/svxpics/index.htm