SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 10:34 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Crazy Ideas

I've had some ideas and was wondering what you people thought.

1. Ignition kill switch that must be turned on in order to start the car (going to do this once i figure out which wire is the ignition)
2. Hard-wire my neon lights under the dash to be turned on with a switch rather than by plugging in the lighter plug
3. Put LEDs of some sort inside the vents
4. Change instrument lights to white/blue, all others(clim control, buttons, etc.) to red
5. 9005->9006 conversion (doing this too, just gotta get the bulbs)

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 12-10-2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:05 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Some of those would be cool... My friend has the neon lighte under the seats in his WRX and it looks kinda cool...Not sure how that would look on an SVX but can't critisize it till I see it... Don't know about the LED's in the vents though... Never seen that one before... Good luck with the mods though...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-11-2003, 09:49 AM

I used to do the add-on light thing when I was a younger man...now I'm an old fart and just don't care anymore. (couldn't decide which face to use).

However, regarding the kill switch. Locate the starter interupt relay (part of the security system) under the dash and tie in the switch for the ignition there - or replace it with the switch?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:52 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Crazy Ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast

2. Hard-wire my neon lights under the dash to be turned on with a switch rather than by plugging in the lighter plug

4. Change instrument lights to white/blue, all others(clim control, buttons, etc.) to red
2: That one should be easy to wire up.

4: Check my site for how to remove the instrument lights. First thing you want to do is remove the current faces (2 screws each) and sand it on the back. They have a green tint on the back and even if you put a set of lights underneath, it will not fly. After sanding, go and put new lights. You are set.

As for the climate control, and others, you are stuck with green unless someone else find a way out. From my past experiences, the green layer is done right underneath the wood trim layer. So you are stuck.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 12-11-2003, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Neon hard wiring

I hard wired my neons. I have the under car and the interior on separate switches. See pictures in my personal folder.

I replaced my stereo with an aftermarket CD player. It left a large empty spot under the stereo. I got some supplys from HomeDepot and Radio Shack. The switches are mounted on a brass plate below the radio now.

Inside I've got 2 6in Redline lights and 4 4in in the rear. The front ones are under the seat. In the rear I've got 2 in the seam were the rear leather meets the carpet and to in the hand holds in the rear.

Unser the car I have 2 4ft Optix, a 2ft Optix and 2 16in Optixs. The 4fts run down the side. The 2ft is in the rear and the 2 16in ones are in the front corners (just forward of the wheels).

It took me about a week to do, but than again I did it at work on my lunch breaks.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:42 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I don't understand this 9005-9006 'conversion.' Isn't it just a matter of plugging in a different bulb? That doesn't seem like much of a 'conversion' to me...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-12-2003, 01:55 PM

i hard wired all my neons....to my X and my X

if you need help, pm me, i want to rewire my neons into my X now, we can have a wire party, just has to be a little warmer...

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i hard wired all my neons....to my X and my X

if you need help, pm me, i want to rewire my neons into my X now, we can have a wire party, just has to be a little warmer...

Kelli
Shame you guys live so far away. I good get you into the garage on base. I get to use it for free and it has 2 lifts.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:13 PM

hey man.....how long did it take you to get to us at the last meet? i wouldn't mind a drive...i haven't really done a "road trip" since i went to Wildwood and AC this summer!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:57 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I don't understand this 9005-9006 'conversion.' Isn't it just a matter of plugging in a different bulb? That doesn't seem like much of a 'conversion' to me...
Yeah it basically is just plugging in a different bulb, you just need to make some slight modifications to the new bulb. I figured conversion was a better word than 9005->9006 changing thingy. Kelli, I just might take you up on that

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-13-2003, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
hey man.....how long did it take you to get to us at the last meet? i wouldn't mind a drive...i haven't really done a "road trip" since i went to Wildwood and AC this summer!

Kelli
\

(assuming you mean me)
Well Im right by Wildwood. I think it took about 2 hours (plus on speeding ticket).
Old 12-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Jimsbaby

hmm some good sounding stuff

I like your list of stuff but I did try the leds in the vents had 4 on each corner in blue but it just wasnt my cup of tea....as for the neons blue in my car everywhere even got the floor pedels eventhough im not too fond of them either but they look decent with all the neons working around them...good luck with all the wires...

Jim

Ps. i put a small switch under the dash right by the windsheild wiper one looks stock cause its the same as the windsheild switch
Old 12-14-2003, 08:04 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
If I'm bored one of these days i'll take a picture of my light output and compare between the bulbs. But it lights up the road so evenly that I dont need to use highbeams. At first its tricky to level them but once you do so its well worth it.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 12-15-2003, 05:09 PM
No longer blue member

Picked up a pair of 9005 P.I.A.A. platinum super whites on clearance at Tweeter Audio today for $20. Need to break out the dremel to get rid of the tabs on the inside, used my pocket knife for the tab on the outside.

01' MSM Lexus IS300