p.s pump or power steering rack 16 22.86%
engine motor mounts 2 2.86%
suspension work i.e shocks// springs ///bushings 17 24.29%
other 15 21.43%
Brake Rotors 27 38.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Should I include everything the previous owner replaced (tranny, rebuilt power steering, wheel bearings)? Or how about pending replacements (rear struts)?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Ticallion

You forgot the god forsaken visors, may they rot in hell $180USD a peice?!?!?! JESUS! I just took em off!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:17 PM

i got my visor's from work for 155$ still pricey rho
Old 02-03-2003, 11:53 AM

Wink rear wheel bearings...

@ 43,507 under warranty "We're sorry, Mr. Olt..."

@ 52,283 under warranty "This happens, occasionally... Maybe they were too tight?"

@ 64,015 under "EXTENDED" warranty "Well, Norm, the Regional Service Advisor approved this under an extension: we are sorry for the inconvenience..."

@ 86,??? under severe pressure from me, and ONLY after about 4 e-mails & 6 always polite telephone calls, under "100% EXTENDED" warranty "Well, we really don't have an answer for you why the replacement bearings we previously installed only lasted for 9K+, almost 12K and, then 22K... Maybe the techs didn't READ the instructions and clean out the packing grease and properly lube the bearings... Or, maybe they did install them too tight? Or whether they damaged the hubs taking them on and off, time after time... We don't have an answer for your question as to how long rear bearings SHOULD last, nor to whether these were defective to begin with in either design or manufacture... But the one question we really don't want to answer is...

JUST HOW MANY MORE TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE TO FIX THIS RECURRING WARRANTY PROBLEM BEFORE YOU FINALLY FIX IT CORRECTLY, JUST ONCE ?"

Oh, yeah: did I mention how the price & time for the labor seemed to have risen dramatically once the mileage had exceeded 60K? Like about doubled!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:13 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

If you want to vote more than once, can't you just remove the cookie that was deposited in your computer, or is there something else that would need to be done?
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 02-03-2003, 03:00 PM
ww111

Front wheel bearings?

I just replaced the front wheel bearings. and yes, the drivers side was MMmmmmmbad. Is it the rears that typically go?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Front wheel bearings?

Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
I just replaced the front wheel bearings. and yes, the drivers side was MMmmmmmbad. Is it the rears that typically go?
The right rear, generally, but bearings are no respecter of persons. I've had to change a right rear on one, and a left rear on the other. But, my past four years of listening to people bit . . . uhm . . . gripe and complain about them, pretty much says it's the RR that usually goes.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-04-2003, 09:47 AM

Question Fronts?

Never heard much complaining about the front wheel bearings going out repeatedly... I'm sure it can happen.

I had my front CV joints repacked, boots replaced and the front bearings cleaned and repacked the same time they replaced the rear bearings (4th time!) @ 86K. Did the same on my '86 Legend at approximately the same mileage. Am of the opinion that it is cheaper to go with the new boots and repacking (at a pretty high labor charge) vs. new CV joints, which are really expensive!

Old 02-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
If you want to vote more than once, can't you just remove the cookie that was deposited in your computer, or is there something else that would need to be done?
The vote results are not stored in a cookie. They are stored server side.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:14 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
The vote results are not stored in a cookie. They are stored server side.
Than my suggestion should be the second most ridiculous thing Mr. Pockets has ever heard.

You can thank me later, Nick!
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 02-07-2003, 04:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: rear wheel bearings...

Quote:
Originally posted by STORMINORMAN
@ 43,507 under warranty "We're sorry, Mr. Olt..."

@ 52,283 under warranty "This happens, occasionally... Maybe they were too tight?"

@ 64,015 under "EXTENDED" warranty "Well, Norm, the Regional Service Advisor approved this under an extension: we are sorry for the inconvenience..."

@ 86,??? under severe pressure from me, and ONLY after about 4 e-mails & 6 always polite telephone calls, under "100% EXTENDED" warranty "Well, we really don't have an answer for you why the replacement bearings we previously installed only lasted for 9K+, almost 12K and, then 22K... Maybe the techs didn't READ the instructions and clean out the packing grease and properly lube the bearings... Or, maybe they did install them too tight? Or whether they damaged the hubs taking them on and off, time after time... We don't have an answer for your question as to how long rear bearings SHOULD last, nor to whether these were defective to begin with in either design or manufacture... But the one question we really don't want to answer is...

JUST HOW MANY MORE TIMES ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE TO FIX THIS RECURRING WARRANTY PROBLEM BEFORE YOU FINALLY FIX IT CORRECTLY, JUST ONCE ?"

Oh, yeah: did I mention how the price & time for the labor seemed to have risen dramatically once the mileage had exceeded 60K? Like about doubled!
Norm

If they keep going like this, then it is possible, indeed probable, that at one of the previous fixes the bearing was pressured in out of line, and your hub is no longer true. This will cause fluctuating pressure loads and premature failure like you are getting.

Next time [hope it never happens] grab the bull by the horns and replace the hub as well. Would be cheaper than paying all that labour. Those guys are keeping themselves safe from redundancy at your expense!

Joe

{Plus the service manager should know that this is probably the cause. It is mentioned in one of the Technical Bulletins}
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2003, 05:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The biggest problem with the SVX is new owners asking the same "How to" questions again and again.

I suggest that we set up a new forum called "Typical Problems & Solutions" . We make it open to all, not just members; maybe on a 'Read-Only' basis. We make categories, eg: Transmission, Replacing Spark Plugs, Cleaning the fake Suede, etc.
We put good write-ups, such as Randy's PS O-Ring fix, into each area. We can have volunteers search the files read the posts and put together a definitive write-up on a subject. The write-up is then turned over to a review commitee of senior tech heads. The commitee could make any corrections & polish up the English, then issue the write-up.

This is a large effort. It needs everyone's help and cooperation. The official club officers could coordinate the work.

I woruld say thay 95% of the info already exists in the posts from here, the Yahoo SVX Club and the old Kinetic Concepts SVX sites.
The job entails finding all the old technical posts on a subject , reading thru them, & combining them in a succinct, easy to follow procedure. Each procedure should also list the tools required, and the approx. time it takes.

Many of the old timers have seem my Technical Post Book. It is a loose leaf binder compiling hard copies of alot of tech. posts from the 3 sites above. It is sorted under vararious categories. This can be a begining basis for this project.

I'd appreciate any ideas on this subject , both pro & con.

Thanks all.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
The difficult part of this suggestion is that, if we send everyone to where they can find all the answers, we won't have anything to talk about except . . . well, we wouldn't have ANYTHING (with any socially redeeming value, mind you) to talk about.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-07-2003, 09:35 AM

Exclamation We don't need to pay for no STEENKIN' LABOR...

SVXISTENTIALIST:

My posting must not have been very clear: all four rear bearing replacements were, in fact, done 100% under Warranty (but, rather reluctantly, I might add!). I would bet that most replacement problems come from not properly cleaning & repacking the new bearings with silicone grease, oe improper instalation, i.e. overtourqed.

I certainly agree that the repair was not accomplished properly, and threads here on this board were instrumental in many of my arguements that this was, (again) IN FACT, the case. Common causes include the one you mentioned: they even suggested to me that perhaps one of the previous repairs had, "somehow" damaged the hub.

My answer was simple: since it was ONLY Subaru Techs at Subaru Dealerships that were performing REPEATED Warranty repairs on my car they should not hesitate to correct ANY & ALL problems they might have created, i.e. "Go ahead and replace them if you damaged them-just don't ask me to pay for your mistakes. As a matter of fact, it is your duty & legal responsibility to do so.

The "Proof is in the Pudding" was my basic tenant. I kept asking Subaru to define for me the concept of a properly completed Warranty Repair: I suggested that a repair that ACTUALLY FIXED THE PROBLEM was the only sane criteria. This was not a case of wearing out brake pads, or a front end out of alignment caused by driving over rough terrain. The rear wheels HAVE TO ROTATE to drive the car, don't they?.

What if this was the U-joint & coupling in the steering wheel shaft assembly? If it failed (repeatedly) causing accidents there would have been a huge SAFETY CAMPAIGN, Recall, redesign, whatever... You do have to be able to steer, don't you?

Frankly, this kind of reasoned approach can often work wonders once you get to the right level of management & supervision. It can take a while to get there, though.

Regards!

Norm
Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 PM
JLittell

I think that this include...Changing the PCV!!