Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Just ordered my new AMR Engineering Coilovers

I just ordered mine.
8-Way Rebound Adjustable Coilovers
About $1500.
Should be ready in 5-6 weeks.
LIFETIME WARRANTY MADE IN THE USA!!!

He also has a svx suspension to model his coilovers from... so no issues with fitment.

He said to me "now is the time for you guys to get in on this"
so lets make this worth his time.
grab the credit cards.

The svx is not on their online catalog YET so you need to contact them to order.
The guys name is Andy.
Great guy to talk with.

Last edited by steveherman; 07-15-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Re: Just ordered my new AMR Engineering Coilovers

Great work on getting this to fruition. I am very interested, however hesitant to throw down $1,500 without more info (specifics, real world driving impressions, spring rates). I currently have the koni/gc setup with 450/375 and that is way too stiff. Are AMR'S spring rates in that ballpark?

I am looking for something that is very close to a new stock suspension. If this is more of a track type of suspension i may just suck it up and buy dayle's springs, use my old koni's and call it a day.

The video outlining their machining process is nice, but what about the rest of the coilover?? I may have to give Andy a call...
Old 07-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I am looking for something that is very close to a new stock suspension. If this is more of a track type of suspension i may just suck it up and buy dayle's springs, use my old koni's and call it a day.
I am looking for same.
Very close too stock... maybe a tad stiffer.
I told Andy that also and told him to use whatever spring he thinks will fit my needs.
And if too stiff for me... he said 58bucks each for a different spring load.
He said with his valving that a heavier spring can be still relatively soft with proper valving and adjustment to his coilover.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 PM

what are the specs on the stock springs?

Last edited by kjoyes; 04-18-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Great work on getting this to fruition. I am very interested, however hesitant to throw down $1,500 without more info (specifics, real world driving impressions, spring rates). I currently have the koni/gc setup with 450/375 and that is way too stiff. Are AMR'S spring rates in that ballpark?

The video outlining their machining process is nice, but what about the rest of the coilover?? I may have to give Andy a call...
Why not just get new springs for the ground control setup? Replacement springs should be pretty cheap. Call ground control, their number is on their website. That would be waaaaay easier/cheaper than doing a new setup. And anyway if you got rid of the stock spring perches like should have been done when the ground control setup was put together, you can't use Dayle's springs.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjoyes View Post
what are the specs on the stock coilovers?
The stock springs are around 160 lb/inch front and 100 rear. Actually, after ~20 years, now they are even softer.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 07-15-2012, 09:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Actually, after ~20 years, now they are even softer.
Ice, how's this? The modulus of elasticity changes ? Or do they just sag (static) ?

Tapani
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Ice, how's this? The modulus of elasticity changes ? Or do they just sag (static) ?

Tapani
Because they are springs, and springs spend their life trying to be in a state of being unsprung?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post

Tapani
I dunno man. I'm a chemist, not a metallurgist.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
"now is the time for you guys to get in on this"
so lets make this worth his time.
grab the credit cards.
I am very interested in this, my struts are shot...
I was going to do the koni thing.. but then I heard that koni is no longer is making the svx inserts.
Then I heard svxfiles say he had problems with the last few sets of konis...

So here I sit with $2,000 in an envelope marked SVX suspension... and there is no bolt on, lifetime warranty, struts option to spend it on..

With the vaporware of the cold air intake..and the not so bolt on, bolt on coilovers from Taiwan...
I am not willing to jump on this until there is a set bolted to an svx without any modification needed.

I am a bit nervous when it comes to shelling out cash for a product that no one has running on their car...

I love my SVX, but if this turns out to be more fail, I will likely just sell my svx.
There is no point in owning a subaru that you cant buy a suspension for...

EDIT:
I just need something that is slightly stiffer than stock, for hard street driving..

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 07-18-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
The set of Dayle's springs that I had on my Pearly were different from the 1992 worn original equipment mostly in that the back end was low enough for 225 width tires in proper offset to rub the rear fenders. With the car parked, I couldn't put a finger between the tire and the top of the fender. They were on my car for a very short period of time, replaced by a set of Koni/GCs. I recommend them if your goal is solely an inch plus drop.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
I am very interested in this, my struts are shot...

So here I sit with $2,000 in an envelope marked SVX suspension... and there is no bolt on, lifetime warranty, struts option to spend it on..

I am not willing to jump on this until there is a set bolted to an svx without any modification needed.

EDIT:
I just need something that is slightly stiffer than stock, for hard street driving..
these will be lifetime.
and these will not leave his shop until they are positively gonna be bolt on.
just do it.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 AM

Registered SVX

Wow! Sounds like a good deal . I hate to see another SVX leave the shores of Conn. lost 3 or 4 already this year.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveherman View Post
These will be lifetime.
And these will not leave his shop until they are positively gonna be bolt on.
Just do it.
(360) 727-8026

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Registered SVX

I Smell Group Buy?