Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Odd (or maybe not) transmission condition

Good morning mates,

Pardon me my ignorance, but the 3-4 OWC seems to be operating in a number of situations which appear to be ok in Nates tranny.

For example if the 3-4 OWC would slip, wouldn't the tranny slip in third while in "D", eh? The torque should go thru the high clutch, forward clutch and the OWC to the rear planetary inside gear.

There would be a third gear only while in "3" - the over running clutch would transmit the torque.

Also would'n there be a second gear while in "2" (torque would be transmitted by the over running clutch)?

Further, if the 3-4 OWC would be slipping there would be a first only in "1".

I'm just looking at the torque flow charts and as you know, I've never seen a 4EAT fully apart.

There's also a good written description of each gear in each selector position in the manual in chapter 20A Power Train, oparation. Nate, bite the bullet and dig out the manual !

Tightnening the band adjustment by one turn is an easy try and should do no harm - hard to imagine how that could be thrown off suddenly and cause your problem, though.

Kind regards,

Tapani
Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Good morning mates,

Pardon me my ignorance, but the 3-4 OWC seems to be operating in a number of situations which appear to be ok in Nates tranny.

For example if the 3-4 OWC would slip, wouldn't the tranny slip in third while in "D", eh? The torque should go thru the high clutch, forward clutch and the OWC to the rear planetary inside gear.

There would be a third gear only while in "3" - the over running clutch would transmit the torque.

Also would'n there be a second gear while in "2" (torque would be transmitted by the over running clutch)?

Further, if the 3-4 OWC would be slipping there would be a first only in "1".

I'm just looking at the torque flow charts and as you know, I've never seen a 4EAT fully apart.

There's also a good written description of each gear in each selector position in the manual in chapter 20A Power Train, oparation. Nate, bite the bullet and dig out the manual !

Tightnening the band adjustment by one turn is an easy try and should do no harm - hard to imagine how that could be thrown off suddenly and cause your problem, though.

Kind regards,

Tapani
My thoughts precisely related to the 3-4 owc as I read through and re-read through some technical info related to operation of the 4eat

As far as digging out the manual, it's a bit tricky as I'm in the middle of a move (quite literally) so while it is packed in the car, I believe I need to dig a few other things out of the way. I'll try checking out the online versions though.

As for it "being thrown off suddenly" as you mention. That, I have no way of knowing. I purchased this car as having a "bad transmission". Upon purchase, there was no battery juice as the car had been sitting well over 2 years. I towed it to where it sat for a few months with starting it to move it off the dolly and park it. Then I posted this, that was when I moved it from the house where it was, to the shop space that I have (about 25 miles) and was able to get these symptoms as described. So my point is, I have no idea if it was slipping for awhile, or if it was an "all of a sudden" type thing. Upon pickup of the car, I had just assumed a high clutch failure as is so common so I was shocked when I drove it and it had proper operation of the high clutch.

Last edited by 1986nate; 01-07-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Registered SVX

Ok, sorry - I thought this was something which just happened to your car .

Why not try to adjust the band?

Improper brake band clearances and their symptoms
Clearance Problem
1 . Too wide: Upshift from 1 st directly to 3rd gear occurs.

Kind regards,

Tapani
Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I must apologise, it won’t be the 3/4 OWC. I wasn’t thinking about it.

Reading it all again, it does seem that it is just the band not engaging in 2nd.
This could be either the 2nd apply pressure not getting to the band’s servo 2nd apply, or the valve body is not sending it there.

Guess it depends on if the box looks like it has been worked on or not.
If it hasn’t it may just be the B shift spool valve, that is not responding.
If it has been 'worked on', and they rebuilt the servo it may have a cut O ring, not assembled properly, or it could be anything.

If you have a known good, valve body and servo, it would be worth changing them over, as the fault has to be contained in one of them.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 AM

Registered SVX

I don't want to derail this thread, but all this talk about no second gear has me wondering.

My SVX has an issue with only 2nd gear...
Sometimes, only when going really slow, it will flair in second gear.
I will gain 1000 or so rpm then catch second.
It is intermittent, I cant get it to do it when the mechanic drives it...
Could this be something stupid like needing a brake band adjustment?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM

Registered SVX

So since I forgot to update this way back when, I was tearing down this transmission and remembered. Adjusting the brake band worked for about a week, then it lost 2nd and 4th out of nowhere.
Here's the reason why....

I imagine it started cracking and that it wasn't getting tight enough to engage 2nd but somehow tight enough to have 4th work. Tightening it down probably stressed it a bit more and hence it completely failing. The friction material was worn very "funny" on the band brake as you can imagine.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin4SVX View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, but all this talk about no second gear has me wondering.

My SVX has an issue with only 2nd gear...
Sometimes, only when going really slow, it will flair in second gear.
I will gain 1000 or so rpm then catch second.
It is intermittent, I cant get it to do it when the mechanic drives it...
Could this be something stupid like needing a brake band adjustment?
Possibly, or TPS. Typically a brake band adjustment is needed when it starts flaring in the 2-3 shift. This is possible for a few reasons as the transmission ages.