Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Continental ExtremeContact DWS tire balancing issue at Discount Tires

This just my experience, but I've never had an issue balancing a tire with a standard balancing machine. No shakes, wobbles, nothing. Both used and new tires. Maybe just lucky. I can definitely understand the load balancing being of more certainty for a proper balance. If anything, I have learned some new stuff from this thread.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
+1 for Road Force balancing. Really big difference from traditional way. Checks for run-out of wheels and much more.

Provides up to 1,400 pounds against the tire. The loaded roller detects non-balance, radial-force-related vibrations caused by eccentricity and constructional variation of the tire and wheel. Unlike non-contact measurement, the roller samples the entire footprint of the tire including the sidewall’s contribution to ride quality.

This (at least our engineer's variation of it) is what we use to test tires before shipping out but with the addition of laser false round measurement. I think this type of machine at installation locations will really promote awareness of just how many crappy tires there are out there vs. the usual "blame it on the suspension or alignment"
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
This (at least our engineer's variation of it) is what we use to test tires before shipping out but with the addition of laser false round measurement. I think this type of machine at installation locations will really promote awareness of just how many crappy tires there are out there vs. the usual "blame it on the suspension or alignment"
I don't think the traditional balances are going away as they're improving at the same rate as the tires are it seems. However, road force balance does provide a "clearer" picture into the relationship between your tire and rim. As you stand there, you can clearly see what the cartoon graphics is telling you and it's very easy to understand.

As you said it, it's utterly critical that a tire store customer lays the blame properly on the tires AFTER he/she is certain that the suspension is up to snuff. I spent a few chunk of $$$ getting the suspension ironed out before placing the blame on the tires. As you might've guessed it, the "well you know, you're driving an older car with tired suspension....." talk started from the tire guy and I nipped that at the bud by showing the receipts from all of the suspension parts purchases over couple of months. It's hard to argue against that kind of proof!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 AM

update 10/26/11

well, I finally got a chance to drive the car to work this week and got a feel for the tires and vibes. One of the biggest clue that my tire was out of balance was the shaking of the passenger seatback. That and my steering shimmy were my only two objective means of vibration detection.

Now, the passenger seatback is not shaking nearly as much or probably not at all. However, I do feel a light shimmy on the steering wheel, especially on long swooping turns. This weekend, I'll move one of the front tire to the rear and see what happens next week. After couple of days of that, I'll swap the other front tire to the rear and make a note of the vibes.

I have to say, that after the road force balance on all four tires, the vibes have been reduced quite a bit but not gone. I don't *feel* anything from the rear of the vehicle but until I sit back there while my wife drives the car, I won't know for sure.

What I'm curious about is what else can possibly be loose in my front end to cause or transmit tire vibration? I didn't change the control arm bushings but everything else was replaced. The steering does feel a little loose, for lack of a better term. The tie rod ends are new so I wonder if I have play inside the rack and pinion unit?

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Re: update 10/26/11

I've had some DWS contis mounted a couple weeks ago, I am not noticing a lot of shaking, really.

But I do notice that they seem pretty soft. tend to follow the grooves in some pavement.

They also seem to have a loud harmonic at about 60mph.

I've tried upping the pressure a couple of pounds, to see if it makes a difference, but they seem to be grippy. I hope they live up to their reputation.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM

***** update 5/29/12 ****

I figure it's time I update this thread. I was able to swap tires with a 2011 Camry and found out that the vibes did not follow the tires. I still have the vibes with the Camry tires. So, I'm pointing the fingers at something else - wheel bearings, front half shaft, etc.?

Anyway, just wanted to follow up. These tires have been excellent in snow and rain. Discount tires have been very good through all the re-balancing sessions, no complaints from me.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E