How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 12:19 AM
Jedi Member

Angry One step foreward, Two steps back...

Grrrr! Everytime I get something fixed on this car, two more things brake! I'd just gotten the driveshaft back in and before I could get to doing my CV boots, my brakes go out. Apparently the previous owner was wrong when he said he had just gotten them done. So after turning the rotors and some cheap-o pads, (going to get the RaceConcepts soon, great deal!) a little piece of the "gear" that fits snugly inside of the rotor (is it the ABS speed sensor?) breaks off while I'm tightening the lugs. Does anyone know what the part number is on this thing? I perused through the 1stSubaruParts.com website and couldn't find anything. I don't know about you guys but it seems to me like this kind of thing would be cheap to buy new or from a junkyard. Any suggestions? I'll check Car-Part.com in the meantime.

P.S. Has anyone ever had their driveshaft balanced? I put in a used one but the Driveline shop couldn't figure out a way to get the thing on their lathe because of the carrier bearing. As always, thanks a bunch guys.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 08-03-2002, 08:19 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Are you talking about the round wheel that kinda looks like an open gear? If so, that's the tone wheel.

The ABS sensor is a little magnetic tip that sticks out to close to the tone wheel.

VK
Old 08-04-2002, 10:34 PM
Jedi Member

Yeah, it's definately the open toothed circle thingy that's broken. The ABS sensor tip thingy is still there.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:13 AM
The Road Less Traveled

According to this diagram, I think it's item 17.

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=280-A

Can someone more familiar with it confirm this?

VK
Old 08-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Jedi Member

Okay, I took a look at the Subaruparts.com diagram and #17 isn't the "thingy" that's broken. My "thingy" has much more teeth, I'd say at least 30, and they're about .5cm x .5cm x .5cm. The piece that broke off was about two inches long and had 5 or so teeth on it. It's diameter is about 2cm less than the inside of the rotor.

P.S. Sorry about the metric imperial inconsistencies, it's too early in the morning for me.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:16 AM
Jedi Member

Chris (of Admin fame) has said it is an ABS sensor wheel. Tried it as a search string in the Subyparts.com website but alas, no results found. I think it's time for me to order a shop manual.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The gear teeth are NOT visible in the Subaruparts picture beacuse they would be on the opposite of were the four supports are that bolt ot the hub.

A salvage yard is an excellant idea for that part for around $30 I would hope.

The part looks as though it is made of aluminum. Did it require just a small amount of contact to break it? I mean how easily did it break?
Old 08-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Boone

Sounds like a B****!

Hmm.. this dosen't sound like a do-it-yerselfer. To me, at least.

Tone Wheel Removal & Installation (Front)
1) Raise and support vehicle. Remove front wheel. Unbolt disc
brake caliper, and wire it aside. Unplug wheel speed sensor connector and remove speed sensor from hub assembly. Mark rotor-to-hub and remove brake rotor. Remove axle shaft nut. Remove stabilizer link.
2) Loosen transverse link ball joint nut and separate ball
joint from wheel hub assembly. Drive out spring pin retaining inner CV joint to transaxle spline. Remove axle shaft from vehicle. Disconnect tie rod and ball joints from wheel hub assembly. Mark camber adjusting bolt head for reassembly reference. Remove bolts retaining strut assembly to wheel hub assembly.
3) Remove wheel hub assembly from vehicle. Remove hub from
wheel hub assembly using press. Remove bolts retaining tone wheel to hub flange. Remove tone wheel. To install, reverse
removal procedure. Use new inner axle joint spring pin and new outer axle shaft nut.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:27 AM
Jedi Member

Oh my God Boone, that sounds insane! And why the heck do they call it a Tone Wheel? As to how it broke, I had both wheels off the ground and was tightening the lugs on the other side when all of a sudden the wheel stopped spinning. Because my brain wasn't working right I assumed it had locked into park and kept tightening. To my suprise, it broke free and started spinning again. There was a slight clunking sound and that was it. Then I went to the side that was broken to put it's wheel back on and as I was tightening those lugs I heard something small and metal land on the inside of my rim. About two inches of my Tone Wheel broke off in two pieces, one in the rim and the other wedged in the rotor and the rotor guard. Oh well, at least my dash illumination lights came from 1stSubaruparts.com so now my dashboard is back together.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:08 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
another one step, two step story

I had this squeaking sound coming from what I THOUGHT was my front passenger side wheel. So I take it off to check out the brakes and everything is normal so I'm happy. Then I figured I better check the others. The boot on the front driverside is shot, axel grease is everywhere (ouch #1). The back driverside has a screw in it (no biggy, only like $15). Then I check the back passenger and notice the grease on the struts (ouch #2). The struts can wait a little while but until my axel is fixed it looks like I'll be driving an 89 Camry with 180+k miles YAY!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-06-2002, 11:01 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The ring is a PITA to change, especially for the inexperienced. The procedure is the same for replacing a wheel bearing minus the actual pressing of the bearing into the knuckle.

For my 12 cents worth I'd do as the pioneers did it and live without the ABS until I had the money to pay someone to change it or until the wheel bearing went bad also. The brakes will work as normal, you just won't have the ABS taking over when you do something stupid. (That is the only thing ABS is good for...)

BTW - You need to find a better/real driveshaft shop if they can't balance a shaft with a carrier bearing. But first - does the shaft actually vibrate? Just because it came from another car doesn't mean it has to be balanced.

Last edited by Beav; 10-06-2002 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:35 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: another one step, two step story

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
The struts can wait a little while but until my axel is fixed it looks like I'll be driving an 89 Camry with 180+k miles YAY!
Beast,
If you need advice from someone who can make your Camry suffice until you get your SVX back on the road, get in touch with jamsvx -- he did it for years. Best of luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-07-2002, 03:41 PM
No longer blue member

Unhappy Ouch #3

Turns out the passenger side is gonna need to be replaced too, grand total of $566 for both reman. Couldn't get the tire patched cuz they're too worn, any ideas for new ones? I was gonna go for the Yokohama AVS dB but I heard they weren't very good in the snow. On the plus side, the car should be done by late tomorrow.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 10-07-2002, 07:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Re: Re: another one step, two step story

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Beast,
If you need advice from someone who can make your Camry suffice until you get your SVX back on the road, get in touch with jamsvx -- he did it for years. Best of luck.

Would you believe that I put new pads on the front 2 weeks ago and now there is a screeching (on occasion) from the front left wheel assembly - I am not sure what it is and it only sounds intermittent but I am goign to have to save up and also get the rubber surrounds of the pistons done since they have deterioated.

Swimming with the rest of the SVX clan in the money pit!!

Come in, the waters warmed by 4EATS!!

Oh, and Camry's are a very very good runaround when SVX gets hungry for money!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:22 PM
No longer blue member

Re: Re: Re: another one step, two step story

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

Oh, and Camry's are a very very good runaround when SVX gets hungry for money!!
Yeah, I'm happy I get the SVX back in a day or two though. Kinda depressing-the Camry (188k) still has the original struts and rotors (no idea how they've lasted that long) although it does leak just about every fluid.

01' MSM Lexus IS300