Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-23-2009, 06:12 PM

General question about wheels and tires

To make the story short I have 235/45/17 tires on 7" wide wheels. I went to relace a cracked tire at a used tire place. He shows me a used one that size and I agreed to buy it and have it installed. Well they show me my tires were badly unevenly worn and real low on one side. They then bring out two other identical tires. Continental sport contact 2 ZR17 with about 70% tread left and we made a deal and these were put in the front. The car drives great. I didn't realize it but they sold me a slightly wider tire than I went to replace. This is how it reads on the tire. 245/240/45/17ZR 91Y The tire does bulge out a little from the rim. Will this be OK and safe? I have 235/45/17 on the rears. I know the 245 is the tire width. Why are there two numbers 245/240? Which one is it? Thanks in advance for the input. From what I have read the tires will cup and not wear that well but I will replace all four later on.

Thanks
Mike
Old 08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: General question about wheels and tires

I have never come across a 240 sized tire. Automotive tires always go in 10 mm width increments, ending in 5.

In any event, go back and talk to the shop. Is your car all wheel drive? If so you should always replace the tires in sets of four.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx

Cant help with the tire question, however i do have a question and possible advice for you. Is your car awd? If it is, you really should replace all 4 tires at once. With awd you need to have equal tires and equal wear rates otherwise you will be causing stress to the transmission. Just a thought. Hopefully you are a fwd and it wont matter. Just wanted to make sure you knew that if you were awd
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Just to finish this thread up I read the two used tires I got wrong. They were 245/40/17. I needed 235/45/17. I went back today and got two others that correctly match the other two. I had to explain to the guy who barely spoke or understood english the circumstances with AWD and that in the neighborhood wasn't good enough. Sorry for the confusion. One more question. My right front boot next to inside of my wheel is torn and has a hole in it. I think this is the CV joint boot. Do you know the correct jargon for it so I can order it. I went to subaruparts.com and wasn't positive what to order. If not thanks anyway.

Mike
Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue thunder View Post
I went back today and got two others that correctly match the other two.
My right front boot next to inside of my wheel is torn and has a hole in it. I think this is the CV joint boot. Mike
good!!

correct!

I suggest you have it rebuilt by a local shop
'tis what I do