Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Somebody help me save this car!

There's a pearlie in Valencia that has been there since it was involved in an accident months ago. Its owner is nearly broke and just needs to get rid of it. He's offered me the whole car for $400, but as I'm a part time employed college student who lives at home, and was just in an accident myself, my ability to buy the car is severely limited. It's headed for the junkyard in a matter of days, but I know this car can easily be made drivable again... all it would take is a drivers side front strut and a wheel. It's not the prettiest thing, but I believe the damage to the car is mostly cosmetic. I REALLY want the car for myself, but I'd rather it go to a good home than be stripped and crushed, so I'm posting here to give it one last chance at life. Maybe someone can hold it for me until I'm less broke? Hahahaha. Or maybe you just want a good running SVX for 400 bucks.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM

Re: Somebody help me save this car!

Wasn't there a guy in Cali that had a black SVX with rear subframe damage? (maybe it was even you, I don't recall at the instant...)

Maybe those two cars, albeit painted differently, could be combined, and the black car supply a front suspension and driver's side fender, and door to this pearly.

It would look mis-matched... but a paint-job is not essential for a car to be driveable, and can be seen to later.

If I hadn't just bought one, I'd send you a couple bucks toward buying it... but I am tapped out for the moment. Maybe a SVX forum fund drive could be organized...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 07-23-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Someone posted the same thing about that same car here before... doing a search...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 PM

I'm the guy with the black one who is parting it out... yeah my car is the one with subframe damage. I'd planned to combine the cars exactly how you were describing, except that my Legacy SS daily driver was involved in an accident and now I'm completely broke (still living at home, parents not too excited about the amount of money I'm dumping into cars, and borrowing from them to get my car repaired).

I'm doing what I can to see that this car isn't junked, but its owner is nearly broke as well, and is basically at the point where it's either sold this week or goes to a yard.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:39 PM

How far away is this car from you?

If he is going to send it to a salvage yard anyway, why not let you have first crack at salvage? Does the pearlie owner have a quote from the scrap yard?

Is he willing to wait a little while, to allow you to swap the parts on a saturday, or something?

If you could get both cars in the same location, with a few tools... If I were in the neighborhood, I'd come down and help, but I am nowhere near... Any other SVX'ers in the neighborhood?

A day's worth of wrenching would possibly get the white car driveable. Even quicker if you pull the black parts beforehand, and have them ready to go onto the white car. A strut swap on the front, and a wheel/tire from the black car on the rear left of the pearlie, might even get the pearlie mobile enough to drive it to the location where the black car is, for body-part swap time.

You could combine the cars, get the pearly stabilized with ebony parts, and get it driveable every day for you, and pull any other parts you need or want...

Then send the black car's empty shell, and the crushed white parts to the salvage yard, and give whatever scrap value $$$ to the current owner of the pearlie. You basically trade your black car's scrap value for getting the pearlie with black parts on.

I would pull the tail lights, interior, wheels, and anything of any e-bay or SVX-network sale value from the black car that can be dis-assembled with a screw driver or a wrench. Selling that stuff to the network guys here, or completing the pearlie's condition back to running would probably be worth the wrench time, and help with the monetary situation. You might as well make the money, rather than a salvage yard making the money... or crushing the value of those parts into oblivion.

If you have access to a shop, maybe even pull the black car's engine/drivetrain, and glass for spares... but that might not be a shade-tree mech job.

-The unrecoverable parts, go with the black damaged shell to scrap metal for whatever value that is.

-the recoverable car goes to you for a driver while you figure out your Legacy issue,

-the pearlie owner gets the money from the scrap yard that he would be getting by sending the recoverable pearlie anyway.

Maybe in this case some sweat equity could help both you and the pearlie owner out.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 07-23-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:53 PM

The Ebony's engine has already been pulled, and its entire drivetrain is coming out this weekend. It's possible that this car can go on to save two others, the Pearlie I'm describing in this thread as well as s'ko's car. I'm trying to keep as many of these on the road as possible, it's just tough because of my lack of money. I presented a rough outline of your idea to the Pearlie's owner in a voicemail. We'll see what he says. Thanks for the advice. It's a beautiful ride and I can't stand to see it crushed.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Ouchie. Man, I hate seein that kind of damage.

It may not be that bad to some of you body folks out there, but it hurts to look at it.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Well, someone went and got it today from him. Apparently another SVX enthusiast, so I know it went to a good home. Yay!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 PM

Good news, good news!

I hope for some similarly good news on your part, too. Good luck with your Legacy, and your SVX salvage project. I hope you can get toward a stable situation in your livelyhood, and eventually get yourself a running version of the SVX.

------------

Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 PM
One teal and One yellow

It didn't look that bad at all.

It's great that it goes to a good home.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05