Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Gov't program to threaten SVX's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
If I could I'd buy every SVX that came along running or not and park them in my yard, artfully of course, like 5 nose to nose, or 3 back to back, just to make people wonder!!!
my 2cents................G

Yep. Good plan.

Ya mean like this? :

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

I understand about the taxes and stealing from our future, I also understand that there is a guy somewhere that thinks we should bailout crappy car companies and we need to buy american even though most of those "american cars" are made in MX or Canada. I don't agree with that guy nor did I vote for him either. (but that is for another forum)

Here is what I do know: why should I try to sell a car that I can only get half of what someone else is willing to give me. Do I love the SVX? sure do but if it came down to getting to work in a reliable car or losing my job b/c my SVX is less then reliable well i guess you know which would win in my book.

Do i think that trashing a perfectly good SVX is a good idea? well no, but what if you had one that you have been bandaiding together for a few years: you know the one with rust, a knocking engine, slippy trans, and that great looking ripped up leather? Would you save that one? Usually these cars have dents, dings, broken plastics, bad hood struts, etc. You know the type...are you really going to save that one? Do you really think there is $4500 worth of good stuff in that car? yeah right not even on a good day.

This is just my opinion. I understand the love for the car..I have been in love with Subaru for more then half my life but if it came down to a "need" issue the car would lose every time.

Do I think we are "robbing Peter to pay Paul"...yep, but that is for another forum.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Yep. Good plan.

Ya mean like this? :

Joe
Oh jeeze Joe, id give half my pancreas to have the finish you have on your ebony. I have to wash and wax mine just to bring it up to bad looking. Stupid california sun.....

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

I appreciate the devil's advocacy, I'm always one to see both sides of any story and experiment with different defenses for them.

I'd thought of writing some similar comments, again out of devil's advocacy (most people by now should know I'll never get rid of my SVX, even if it has to be reclassified as lawn art). I'd LOVE to see someone preaching how no SVX should die (while they own 1 or more pristine ones) step up and hand me $4500 for my 215K beat up SVX!

BTW - BoxerFanatic I applaud all the **** you went through to save that SVX at the 11th hour - you truly are someone that puts their money (and serious effort) where their mouth is. I've been sharing your story with several people I know in the "real world" as all this stuff is going on and our family has a move to CA planned in the future.

But no matter how hard I tried to think of a good defense for "take the money" side, I just couldn't. As pointed out, there are lots of reasons not to take it, but what it really comes down to is the fact that this is just an "instant rebate" of sorts, on a NEW car.

If this was $4500 for my $1000 car that I could turn around and pay a few months' mortgage with, I could see a lot bigger case for it.*

If I could feed my family for 6 months at the cost of losing a clunker car, I could see a case for it.*

Hell, if I could apply the $4500 to a nice, $8,000 3 year old Civic that would better fit the needs as a practical, reliable commuter car, I could maybe see a case for it.*

* By "see a case for it", I of course mean other people maybe less attached to their eligible "clunker", as I just won't let go of this car yet, even as she slowly kills me.

But as it is now, no way, no how. It just doesn't make financial sense from any point of view, even if you ignore all the politics and tax talk.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 07-20-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:39 PM

I see those points.

My budget is tight, too. I wish I had more than 4000$ to just spread around. Lots of things could get done.

It just keeps coming back to the fact that

A) you shouldn't be buying a new car if the government is the deal-maker that makes it possible to afford. There are other moves that make more financial sense, even if they aren't as shiny as a brand new car. This economy is not going to get better before it gets WORSE.

B) The money that this program saves you... it is taking from someone, somewhere else. That is not a net gain, and in fact, due to interest on debt, and government inefficiency, it actually very likely costs more than it pays out.

C) It is a rare car needlessly chewed up into confetti, for the sake of political correctness.
If one wouldn't do that to a Porsche, or a BMW, or a classic muscle-car, or other rare car, why would I do it to an SVX? It may not be as popular, or as well recognized... but a derelict SVX is still worth something for parts to keep other SVXs rolling.

Personally, I want my tax dollars back, and the value of those dollars to remain intact, so that I can spend my money where I wish, instead of the government doing this sort of thing.

The point of freedom isn't to figure out what the government will deign to let us do, or what money we are allowed to spend on what...

The point is, that we tell THEM what to do, they serve US, not the other way around.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Oh jeeze Joe, id give half my pancreas to have the finish you have on your ebony. I have to wash and wax mine just to bring it up to bad looking. Stupid california sun.....

It does not look so good up close Chris, but I have clay barred it and polished it and cared for it as much as possible.

The difference here is we never get the real burning sunshine that you do in SoCal, so there is less blistering and oxidation going on.

The two silvers are very good on paintwork, but the black roofs have some sun damage when you look close. They are still quite OK and acceptable though.

I'm convinced it's the quality and the UV opacity and the number of coats of top-coat [clearcoat] that keeps a car looking young.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 PM

Registered SVX

I used to have 3 of every thing lol
3 svxs, 3 1400s, 3 XT6s sadly only had 2 brumbys, and 3 leones, 2 omega coupes, 5 xt turbos etc
I say save them all
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 07-21-2009, 06:27 PM

wow thats a lot of money for an SVX. I bought my pair for $3000 CANADIAN and one of them had a 6speed swap. Would I give them up though? Not for the crusher thats for sure.

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Anyone who takes TAX money from the government, and thus from OTHER PEOPLE, to send a rare car, like SVX to the crusher, gains my ire and derision.
how about an old truck?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Found a lost SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
EVERYTHING HE SAID and especially:

The point is, that we tell THEM what to do, they serve US, not the other way around.
This is more like a bait and switch operation than emissions friendly, world saving, people helping stuff.

Look at it like this:

GOV'MNT PRGM~ 20k new car -3000 for your "clunker" 17k (15%)
-DEAD old car IE GONE FOREVER
-TAXED FUTURE AND MORE GOVERnMENT DEBT
-HIGH monthly payments and HIGHER insurance
-YOU ARE NOW "IN DEBT" 17k, gotta love debt

PRIVATE SALE + PURCHASE~ 10k used reliable car -2k for your less than reliable but still drivable car (20%)
-your car which got you around well enough for years is still going and now creating memories and helping some one who could not afford a higher priced car
-you get a more reliable and assuringly more efficient car
-You help another citizen/small business on the most basic of levels
-no future national debt created
-If you took a loan to cover the difference you are now only 8k in debt
-Cheaper insurance

PURE SALE 500 1k 2k 3k
-CASH IN YOUR POCKET
-Someone has a vehicle to get around in as apossed to debt on all sides, dead car, bah....

The government is just throwing this out there, there is no point for it. BS situation. There are some(lots) cars worth crushing for a new one but a new car is a terrible venture in general. An OK used car is better in this harsh economic time. The efficiency differences between a 2000 car and a 2009 car is not 3500 dollars worth. The price difference is incredible in most cases though.

This is a program that will be ignored by the intelligent but extorted by the ignorant and greedy. The way a fair amount of government programs are. In my opinion the gov'mnt has always been doing its job; sucking at doing its job.

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Joe, thanks! I now have a new background picture

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.