Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What boost can you run on a stock EG33 motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2daniel1981 View Post
Well I'm glad that there is some documentation then, and you stated that your documentation is within the general statement I made earlier. Of course also as a general statement there can be some variation between a s/c and a t/c

Sorry couldnt resist

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post

Sorry couldnt resist
Hehe. It's ok. Just saying that the numbers Tom quoted as being the limites he has achieved are about the same numbers I said were general limites for boosting internally stock engines.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
yes there will be variation. but is there a point to run higher boost in an RPM range it cannot be used? I have also documented that the engine cannot flow enough to use the CFMS that my supercharger puts out. I get a charge build up in the upper rpms which has exceeded 15psi. Why? Because it cannot move it through the engine fast enough due to restrictions in the head and camshaft profiles.

Tom
There will usually be a point where the engine cannot flow as much as the F/I mechanism puts out without extensive modifications to the head and exhaust systems, that was never the issue. Yes it is good to have the peak boost be higher in the RPM range, but if your F/I mechanism is flowing more then the engine can handle, maybe a change in size is in order to make the most use out of the boost at hand. But there will always be a point where no matter how much you do to an engine, you can use too large of a F/I mechanism. This is where A/R ratios come into effect, but you know that already. Plus the question was how much a stock EG33 can handle, not about where peak boost is made.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
There will usually be a point where the engine cannot flow as much as the F/I mechanism puts out without extensive modifications to the head and exhaust systems, that was never the issue. Yes it is good to have the peak boost be higher in the RPM range, but if your F/I mechanism is flowing more then the engine can handle, maybe a change in size is in order to make the most use out of the boost at hand. But there will always be a point where no matter how much you do to an engine, you can use too large of a F/I mechanism. This is where A/R ratios come into effect, but you know that already. Plus the question was how much a stock EG33 can handle, not about where peak boost is made.
Thats the point of boosting an engine. To make peak torque and HP in all the right places. What I have done thus far effectively has pushed the limit of the stock engine in all the right places and none in the wrong. I can use the 9psi throughout the entire rev range safely. So it still stands that the engine can safely handle 9psi w/o an intercooler and maybe a little more w/ one. This is something I should be toying with soon. But that still does not solve the flow issue. Up until about 6krpm you can run up to 9psi hot. That is a fact that I have been able to uncover thus far.

Tom
Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I can use the 9psi throughout the entire rev range safely. So it still stands that the engine can safely handle 9psi w/o an intercooler and maybe a little more w/ one.
Tom
With supporting mods.Thus not completly stock except for the long block. But I am not arguing that you have a badass machine there and know your particular cars engine

Last edited by y2daniel1981; 07-19-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM

I am just waiting on my Garrett 60-1 turbo to get here, then I will be installing everything. I will be running 6-7 psi on this turbo because as tom has said, there is too much restriction in the heads and you really cant push anymore. This is all generally what I have figured out by reading like crazy over the past while.

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Maniac modifier

Quote:
With supporting mods.Thus not completly stock except for the long block. But I do agree that you have a badass machine there.
So how exactly does anyone expect to add FI to an EG33 w/o supporting mods? You could half ass it and you will be able to run your general rule of thumb 5psi. OR you could do it right and get more out of it. BTW in my world, an engine is a long block. The rest are accessories

Tom
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
+1
blah blah blah blah
Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
EPIC win I gotta find where you guys get these

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
So how exactly does anyone expect to add FI to an EG33 w/o supporting mods? You could half ass it and you will be able to run your general rule of thumb 5psi. OR you could do it right and get more out of it. BTW in my world, an engine is a long block. The rest are accessories

Tom
The question was stock boost. I would always advice supporting mods, but by doing anything to the engine or how it operates, such as tuning, injectors, etc, it is no longer considered stock. I completely agree that to do it right you should have supporting mods and tuning.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
The question was stock boost. I would always advice supporting mods, but by doing anything to the engine or how it operates, such as tuning, injectors, etc, it is no longer considered stock. I completely agree that to do it right you should have supporting mods and tuning.
Again, injectors are not an engine. Tuning is not an engine. Exhaust systems are not engines... An engine is the long block and nothing more. A stock long block.... A stock long block.... a stock EG33 long block.... A stock EG33 long block... A stock EG33.... a stock EG33

Tom
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Again, injectors are not an engine. Tuning is not an engine. Exhaust systems are not engines... An engine is the long block and nothing more. A stock long block.... A stock long block.... a stock EG33 long block.... A stock EG33 long block... A stock EG33.... a stock EG33

Tom
To beat a dead horse like Tim does, anything that alters how the long block operates outside of it's factory status makes it not stock. Let's see the EG33 run without an ECU, oh wait, it can't, so it looks like some sort of tuning or engine control is needed, and since it is needed, it must be an essential part of the engine even though it's not "inside the long block."
Old 07-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Seriously, I don't know why you are being so stubborn. The engine can be used in different cars. Does that make it not a stock engine anymore? I am not beating a dead horse here. When I was in college learning about being a good teacher they told me a couple things. One was that some people learn by experience. Some people learn through description. Another was that some people learn from repetition. Sooooo I tried to do all of those and you still don't get it. A honda with an intake is still a stock engine. A subaru with a cat-back still has a stock engine. An SVX w/ a supercharger, custom manifolds on both ends of the engine, injectors, ( I hope you see where I am going here) all put on a stock engine STILL has a stock ENGINE. It has different things attached to it. Those attachments are accessories to the ENGINE. So if you say a stock engine cannot have anything attached to it that was not original equiptment, then there can be NO boosted stock engines in the world, by your definition of course.

Tom
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Engine: A machine for converting thermal energy into mechanical energy or power to produce force and motion.

This "machine" also includes the air/fuel management, intake, exhaust, control unit, etc to make it function.

"Powertrain" I think is what Tom was referring to as stock..... the internal mechanical parts of the engine that are directly involved in converting the A/F combustion into mechanical force.