How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
coolant fan switch

so my check engine light is on as it has been most of the time ive owned the car. it doesnt bother me but the coolant fans are constantly going. back in divide i didnt mind it, my car warmed up pretty quick, but here in gunnison it gets below zero nightly and stays below 10 during the day so it takes forever for my car to warm up. i figured i would just unplug one or both fans and kinda just experiment and see which works best and if i even need any fans going this time of the year.

so my question is can i rig up a switch inside the car to turn the fans on and off? that way i could control it if need be and it wouldnt require me to pull over and plug the fans in. i noticed there are a few wires coming from the fan connectors and im not sure which one i can tap into or what it would require. i was also thinking maybe i could go through the fuses for the fans if they are on their own seperate fuse but im still not sure how/if it would work. just wondering if this would work and if anyone maybe know how i could go about this. thanks for any help!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: coolant fan switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
so my check engine light is on as it has been most of the time ive owned the car. it doesnt bother me but the coolant fans are constantly going. back in divide i didnt mind it, my car warmed up pretty quick, but here in gunnison it gets below zero nightly and stays below 10 during the day so it takes forever for my car to warm up. i figured i would just unplug one or both fans and kinda just experiment and see which works best and if i even need any fans going this time of the year.

so my question is can i rig up a switch inside the car to turn the fans on and off? that way i could control it if need be and it wouldnt require me to pull over and plug the fans in. i noticed there are a few wires coming from the fan connectors and im not sure which one i can tap into or what it would require. i was also thinking maybe i could go through the fuses for the fans if they are on their own seperate fuse but im still not sure how/if it would work. just wondering if this would work and if anyone maybe know how i could go about this. thanks for any help!
Does your speedometer work? Is the car hard to start on warm days?? Why not fix the problem causing them to come on all the time??

Tom
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Even with the fans going it shouldnt take that long to warm up..... the thermostat is what controls the coolant circulation thru the radiator. Like Tom said.... why not just replace the switch and not have to worry about rigging something?

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13

speedo doesnt work, car starts fine always. living in the coldest place in colorado it doesnt help that the fans are blowing constantly. ive unplugged them both and the car warms up noticably quicker. the only way i can get the check engine light off is by fixing the speedo which would require replacing or taking apart the front differencial to get at where its broken. this would require time and money i dont have, which is why i was looking at a short term, cheap solution to the problem that wouldnt hurt the car. the car runs and drives fine, minus the speedo not working and thats an aspect of the car i dont mind leaving alone. ive had it this long without fixing it and it would be unnecessary time and money spent in taking the transmission out so it makes sense to wait until i can buy a 5 speed and that would fix the problem entirely and still involve removing the tranny.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

ktnxnm

Tom