Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM

Leaking brake line (hard line) on rear of my silver 92

I am leaking brake fluid near the rear-passenger siide wheel. It appears the line has rusted through. It is one of the two lines that run next to the gas tank on the passenger side. This is very strange since my car has virtually NO rust anywhere else. Either way it needs to be fixed. Any pointers? Whats the best place to get a replacement line? Are SS lines available? TIA.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:42 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Leaking brake line (hard line) on rear of my silver 92

Get some pre-flared line from an auto parts store and a $5 line bender and you're good to go.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallpowerful View Post
I am leaking brake fluid near the rear-passenger siide wheel. It appears the line has rusted through. It is one of the two lines that run next to the gas tank on the passenger side. This is very strange since my car has virtually NO rust anywhere else. Either way it needs to be fixed. Any pointers? Whats the best place to get a replacement line? Are SS lines available? TIA.

Why yes, yes they are. Check with either MS warehouse or click the "Svxfiles" link in black n orange on my SIG for a link to OT's site. They work great!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Why yes, yes they are. Check with either MS warehouse or click the "Svxfiles" link in black n orange on my SIG for a link to OT's site. They work great!
Those stainless brake lines are replacements for the rubber lines, not the hard lines.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Those stainless brake lines are replacements for the rubber lines, not the hard lines.

Right.. I read that a little late.. Thanks for the correction!

...Maybe I need new hard lines too?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Most hard lines will rot from the inside out when fluid isn't changed. They usually are a PITA to replace as the steel used on the bolts is as strong as rubber! As was already stated you can get preflared lines in various lengths at most parts stores. Be careful though as you need to know the thread count as there are a couple different ones out there. Measure what you have to replace, find one which is close, get it and a bender so you don't kink it, get yourself a bleeder set up, a brake line wrench (has a couple of extra tabs to get a better grip) and I've had very good luck with valvoline synthetic fluid. Get the large bottle and replace all your fluid when you do it.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Be thankful it's the pass side line. Those lines are a beotch to R&R if you attempt to tackle replacement rather than spot-repair. That line only runs to a join in front of the RR wheel.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-05-2009, 03:42 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Like benebob said they rot from the inside out. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water from the air and over time the lines rust from the inside. Brake fluid is one of those forgotten fluids that a lot of people never flush.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Having just done both rear lines in the last two months I'll suggest that you get the factory lines or you will spend about a week trying to get all the bends in the right place. I paid under $40 for each of mine. It is easier if you drop the rear subframe about six inches also.

Tuck
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 PM

I ended up ordering them from the dealer. They were about $40 a piece as stated before. I'll see how the replacement goes when they come in.