How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-17-2002, 09:44 PM
deligeds

New SCP 5-speed - Initial Review (long)

Well, if you've seen Brian Steel's recent post, you know that I'm the proud owner of a new Small Car Performance 5-speed. I'd been planning (dreaming of) the project for many months. Around the time that Brian began offering the conversion package, my gearset of choice became available, and I couldn't resist.

Here are a few specifics:

- MY 99 (or 00?) Impreza 5-speed case
- PAR Engineering heavy duty 1st - 4th synchro gearset rated at over 400ft-lbs
- Gear ratios: 3.18/1.94/1.35/0.97, plus a custom 0.70 fifth
- Stock Impreza flywheel
- Clutch Masters FX300 clutch and pressure plate w/ 110% holding capacity over stock
- Impreza 4.11 front and rear diff w/ limited slip
- STi tranny mounts
- and a slick looking shift knob w/ 4 relay-control buttons on top

Rather than ship the car to WA, I opted for the roadtrip (actually just got back). Seeing that it's no short trip from Tacoma to Kansas City, I've had plenty of time to get re-acquainted with the SVX, so here are my first impressions:

Overall, the feel of the car is amazingly different. After driving the 4EAT for over 6 years, the improvements in responsiveness and control are striking. The car can still be driven smoothly, but it begs to be pushed through the lower gears with gusto. The H-6 and its broad torque band really shine in 2nd and 3rd.

I think that the CM FX300 ended up being a good choice for the clutch. It feels solid, but engages smoothly and easily. I don't think I'd want any less clamping force, and Brian indicated that his ACT pressure plate/stock clutch combo was a bit more jerky. I haven't tried any hard launches since the disc is still in the break-in period, but I'll let you know.

The PAR gears were imported in a group-buy from Australia where they're more commonly used in high-perf Imprezas. In the past, PAR has sold mostly "dog boxes" (no synchros, double-clutching, etc.) for race applications. The synchro set is pretty new, so I'm kind of acting as a guinea pig even for the Impreza community. My initial impression is that the gears shift smoothly, and the ratios feel about right for the SVX. But the investment will only be worthwhile if they last for many years.

The car revs quite a bit higher in 5th than it did in lock-up 4th with the 4EAT, even with the custom 0.70 ratio. I was running 60 at about 2500 rpm, 70 at 2950, and 80 at 3450. Driving was very comfortable at 80 and above, but fuel economy suffered a bit. My best tank on the return trip was just under 25 mpg, averaging between 75 and 80 on the interstate. That's down 1 or 2 mpg for me, but I expect that it will be closer to normal in the 60-70 mph range.

Other minor downsides: 1.) Cruise control. It works fine, but the combination of higher rpms and the lack of a cushioning torque converter leaves a bit to be desired in the smooth ride category. You can really feel the throttle opening and closing as it maintains speed. 2.) Slow-engagement take-offs aren't quite as smooth as they could be. I wouldn't say there's a shudder, but its just not perfectly smooth. Brian thinks this may be due to the soft-ish engine mounts, but I'm hoping it will improve somewhat as the clutch breaks in.

Bottom line, the 5-speed SVX is truly an awe-inspiring automobile - I'm immensely pleased with the conversion. Brian and his staff were great to work with - knowledgable, friendly, accomodating, etc. They obviously appreciate and care about the nuances of the SVX, and, IMHO, their price for the conversion is more than fair.

Hopefully, I'll be able to borrow my friends digital camera soon, and get some pics posted. I've also got many "before" G-tech runs, so I'll be able to post meaningful before/after times once the clutch is good to go. BTW, if anyone in the area is interested in checking her out, I'll be glad to oblige.

P.S. As a side note, I had to filter this initial review out of possibly the most annoying drive of my life. Any guesses? How about 1500 miles of the roaring, howling, nerve-grating hell we all know as "rear wheel bearing". Went out at about the midway point . . . of WA! My g** d*** ears are still ringing!
Old 05-18-2002, 08:58 AM
alacrity024

I'm so F*$@ing JEALOUS!!!!!

-adam
Old 05-19-2002, 06:01 PM

As much as I would like a standard I'll have to wait for the next SVX so I can have my auto for my high speed long distant commuting. Normally run 90 mph in Mass. with rpm's at 3000 and 35000 miles later now problems as of yet other than one wheel bearing. Also no speeding tickets {knocking on wood as I type}. I have been blocked and slowed down to 85mph a couple of times when the statepolice act as pace cars for the early morning commute. I don't think I would want to run the high rpms contantly that a standard would cause at these speeds. If I could keep the final drive high geared it would make it more feasable to have a standard. I truely love the SVX experience!
Old 05-19-2002, 08:58 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Ive noticed that with the cruise too...but also have noticed it in other cars Ive owned so its not so bad.....
I have the same clutch Brian has in his car...and find it decent but will upgrade to a Centerforce Dual Friction next yr.....
Now.....next project...take apart my cluster and COVER UP THE DAMN AUTOMATIC Markings !!!!!!! Forgot to do it when I installed my indiglos damn it!

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 05-20-2002, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
deligeds

verry nice revew on it,, sounds like a good deal,, the svx i think should have always had a stick shift option,, and would be intresting seeing a svx do one hell of a AWD launch im tired of the dsm boys doing it, one guy at our meet layed down, 30 feet of AWD skid marks, bastered!!! LOL , how much did the total bill come out too, out of curousity,, as for ACT cluches,there verry verry strong, i had the ACT 2,600 lb in the dsm but it was soo strong i snaped the tranny u want a cluch that gives some, but also the svx are heavy cars, do uthink the cluch will put undue stress on motor mounts//driveshaft//axles and all doing launches, wheres its use to autmatic, ?

p.s yes the rear bearing is anoying mine went out, i had to put on ear plugs,, j/k just blast the radio
Old 05-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It doesn't matter if it's a stick or a slushbox, an SVX or a beetle, if you do 'launches' you're gonna break something. It's that simple.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:16 PM
alacrity024

Amen to that beav.. automobiles built for the street are exactly that.... built for the street. They're not built to do quarter-miles or powerslides, and if you choose to put your vehicle through that kind of torture, something is bound to break. Which is a damned shame

-Adam
Old 05-20-2002, 02:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
yea AWD launches repated use will evently break something, its bound to hapen,u can reinforce alot of the componets i.e axles, drive shafts, heavy duty difrentials, solid motor mounts to help ,,
Old 05-21-2002, 04:29 PM
deligeds

There were really bills for two different projects.

5-speed rebuild:

$1800 for PAR gears
$ 300 for rebuilding labor

Conversion:

$4000 for standard SCP conversion
$ 400 for CM clutch
$ 100 for shift boot and knob

minus

$ 700 for sale of 4EAT
$ ??? for sale of stock gearset

I haven't acutally sold either of these yet, but I think the 4EAT's a done deal. All in all, a hefty price tag, but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the product for many years to come.

BTW, I got the wheel bearing fixed under limited parts warranty today - what a relief! Much easier to relax and enjoy the 5-spd w/o having someone constantly screaming in your ear.

Last edited by deligeds; 05-21-2002 at 04:33 PM.