How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
svxlady

abs brake problem

I really would like some help on my 92 SVX problem. I just had a complete brakes job done and brought the car home and a few days later when I put on the brakes to stop the car the brake pedal started rocking and rolling and groaning and grunting. I took the car back and they bled the brake lines but that wasnt the problem. They have now had the car for 2 days and are now telling me that the problem is not the ABS brakes kicking in but that the problem is electrical and they are not sure where. Has anyone else had a problem with the ABS brakes coming onlike this? Do you think the dealer created this problem when the brakes were changed or is he correct and this is a new problem with the electrical? Sure hope someone has an idea for me.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
svxlady

Question brakes vs electrical problem

I just had a complete brake job done on my 92 SVX and after a few days of driving the ABS system started to act up. When I come to a stop the ABS starts to grab and the brake pedal jumps up and down and the whole system groans and makes terrible noises. I returned to the dealer and they bled the brake lines but that didnt help. Now they are telling me that this probably isnt an ABS problem at all but an electrical one. Has anyone else had this problem? I dont think the dealer really has any idea of what is really wrong and they are just racking up $$$'s at this time. I really need some help on this one. Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Do you know exactly what all they did?

Did they change the rotors? Does it feel like warped rotors?

Need more input.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I replied to your other thread but have you considered taking it to another location for a new diagnosis?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
svxlady

abs

Yup theydid a complete brake job, rotors and all. They really dont have a clue I think of what is the exact problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
svxlady

Boy would i love to but that is the closest dealer around and up to now have been really good with the SVX. Not only that but they have had it for 2 days now so I guess I am stuck. I was wondering tho if they could have damaged an arm or something when they were doing the brake job, not that they are going to tell me that. It seems to be a strange problem and they are not really sure of what the solution is. I just thought someone else might have had a similar problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
SVXtra

Quote:
Do you think the dealer created this problem

The dealer? Do you mean to say a Subaru dealer?

The problem could be as simple as a faulty ABS sensor. And if this is a Subaru dealer your referring to as " The Dealer" they should be able to repair this minor problem with little or no difficulty.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
More than likely a wheel speed sensor picked up some loose rust when they removed the old rotors or they inadvertently damaged a sensor. They need to either access the ABS computer with the SelectMontior (does it access the ABS?) or use an appropriate meter to check each sensor for proper output. It sounds like one sensor is dropping out or only reporting a fraction of a signal, making the ABS computer believe (falsely) that one wheel is turning slower than the others and activating as if that wheel was skidding.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
More than likely a wheel speed sensor picked up some loose rust when they removed the old rotors or they inadvertently damaged a sensor. They need to either access the ABS computer with the SelectMontior (does it access the ABS?) or use an appropriate meter to check each sensor for proper output. It sounds like one sensor is dropping out or only reporting a fraction of a signal, making the ABS computer believe (falsely) that one wheel is turning slower than the others and activating as if that wheel was skidding.
Yes that sounds like the situation, being magnetic pick-ups, they are prone to signal corruption.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM
Meow!

I suppose one way to verify would be to remove the ABS fuse.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:17 AM
svxlady

abs problem

Thanks for your input, i will contact the dealer today and ask if they have cked those things. Will give an update soon. Thankx