Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
Awsome news Jesse i can't wait to see your wheels. I would also like it if you might be able to take my 5mt for a spin i have a few queeries i would to get answered if you have the time. Anyway, I should get my car back on monday and the exhaust should be fitted up properly(I am not an exhaust kind of guy). Well i am super excited for Reading now.

Tom

I never turn down a chance to cruise another SVX.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
I never turn down a chance to cruise another SVX.
jesse,
i have 2 BKR7EIX plugs, if you just want to buy one pack i can send you those on friday. let me know.
phil
Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Superbeast

Thanks Phil, but I already ordered them, besides I need the 8's

Old 10-05-2005, 12:32 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
REVIVAL!!! Jesse, did the stock SVX driveshaft fit perfectly or does it need to be lengthened/shortened? Also, if I send you a set of wrx pedals... well you have a parts car and I don't... ya know...thinking about converting to hydro when I replace my 2nd trans I would also like to convert to 6mt in the future because I will probobly blow up this 5 speed in no time oushing 300+hp out of the eg33

Tom
Old 10-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Here was the one pic Jesse posted back on page 7 showing the driveshaft installed.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...achmentid=4729

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Maniac modifier

I looked at all the pics... that doesn't really show whether or not it is a stock svx shaft or not

Tom
Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 AM
wrx_driver_2002

Did the R180 Axles work in the factory hubs without swapping over to the STI stuff?

I've got a chance to get a SVX (1994 FWD) for a very very good price, that I would like to convert to a 6 speed. (I've got all of the parts needed, including brakes, if they'll work. I don't have a new xmember for the transmission though)

Has anyone tried swapping the rear hubs and using the Brembos from the 2005 STI? If the R180 is just a bolt in affair without changing hubs, that will make me very happy It's not like swapping an R180 into a BD/BG Legacy where you have to swap hubs, rear brakes, and axles to make the R180 fit.

Will the stock STI driveshaft (Transmission to rear diff) fit the SVX? Did you try swapping flanges on the differentials to avoid drilling holes in the flange? If I get this SVX, I am also going to make the DCCD work. Does anyone else with an SVX have working DCCD (In either Auto or Manual Mode?)

If anyone has a chance, and would like to talk about any of this, feel free to message me on AIM... Wrxdriver2002 (No, I am not a WRX Owner... but I drive a 1995 Legacy with an Ej205)

Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Maniac modifier

Listen, most of your questions are answered in this thread. Yes the axles fit no problem. No, No one has tried to swap over sti brakes as they are too damned expensive. The stock SVX driveshaft should fit I am wondering the same thing. Out of the 2 SVXi with 6mt's both have open center diff so no one is ussing dccd. Good luck

Tom
Old 10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
Superbeast

Yes you can use the stock SVX driveshaft but you will need to swap the flange if your using the R-180 rearend.

Technically they are not "open" center diffs, they are viscous coupling center diffs and they still work pretty good. In fact when I broke the front axle in my wagon I was still able to drive it to my shop becouse the center diff would lock up enough to get the car moving, I just had to take off real gentily like with a bad clutch.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:37 PM
wrx_driver_2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Listen, most of your questions are answered in this thread. Yes the axles fit no problem. No, No one has tried to swap over sti brakes as they are too damned expensive. The stock SVX driveshaft should fit I am wondering the same thing. Out of the 2 SVXi with 6mt's both have open center diff so no one is ussing dccd. Good luck

Tom

The question I was concerned about most was the rear R180 axles. I have little to no expierience with SVX's. No one really touched on if the axles fit in the stock hubs or not, which is why I asked again. I read the thread, and the questions I asked, I asked because they were either very vaugue, or they weren't touched on at all. Like when he talks about the rear diff. All that was said was that he got the R180 installed, and it fit pretty good. See Post 93. He never touched on which set of axles were used (Stock SVX or STI)

I know the stock SVX Driveshaft fits. I was wondering if the STI shaft fits because the SVX i have the chance to buy doesn't have a driveshaft (because it's a FWD).

The brakes I'll conquer on my own. The fronts will work, it's the rears I'm concerned about. Are the rear hubs / spindles compatible with impreza stuff? I think the SVX uses the same caliper bracket spacing (Between the mounting bolts) as the Legacy / Impreza / Forester.

For now, I'm just gathering information. About the extent of stuff I've done to an SVX is timing belt, seals, waterpump, Valve cover gaskets, tranny rebuilds, wheel bearings, knock sensors, radio installs, and Fuel Level Senders. Other than that, I have little to no expierience with them.

Anyways, please be patient with me... I just want a fun unique car
Old 10-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
The installed R-180 rear with alxes and modified bracket.

Everything fits pretty good, but one thing I didn't count on was the driveshaft flange having a bigger bolt pattern. I have to take it off and have it drilled to bolt to the SVX driveshaft flange.
He did use the axles... they are a perfect fit. From what I understand all subies from 91-99 used the same track so most axles are interchangable minus the splines. Not trying to burn you understand the question about the Sti driveshaft and I can tell you now, it will not fit. If it would, a 5mt wrx driveshaft would bolt in with a svx 5mt conversion and they do not fit. So.... just a basic deduction tells me no, but I could be wrong.

Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 AM
wrx_driver_2002

Sweet. I read this whole thread 3 times... Missed the part about the axles all 3 times... Oh Well. Thanks for the info. I'll be posting alot more pictures and information in the next few months if I get that SVX. I've already got a DCCD controller (1995 WRX RA... One of the only WRX's that had a dccd system that was added after the car was built... aka seperate harness, and controller). 2005 STI 6 Speed, R180, Axles, Brakes, Hubs. Now All I need is an SVX, and whatever rear components I need to convert to AWD (Subframe, Fuel Tank?, rear hubs?, struts?, other stuff I might be forgetting?) I don't know what it takes to convert to AWD on an SVX. I can't seem to find a post where someone has done it, or at least documented what was different between the 2wd and the AWD.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:26 AM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx_driver_2002
Sweet. I read this whole thread 3 times... Missed the part about the axles all 3 times... Oh Well. Thanks for the info. I'll be posting alot more pictures and information in the next few months if I get that SVX. I've already got a DCCD controller (1995 WRX RA... One of the only WRX's that had a dccd system that was added after the car was built... aka seperate harness, and controller). 2005 STI 6 Speed, R180, Axles, Brakes, Hubs. Now All I need is an SVX, and whatever rear components I need to convert to AWD (Subframe, Fuel Tank?, rear hubs?, struts?, other stuff I might be forgetting?) I don't know what it takes to convert to AWD on an SVX. I can't seem to find a post where someone has done it, or at least documented what was different between the 2wd and the AWD.

Acctually the rear hubs are already splined for the axles, all you have to do is take out the "dummy" stub thats in there and slide the axle in.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Maniac modifier

might want to find a parst car to donate the subfram pieces and all. There was one guy who converted from a fwd auto to awd auto but it was kinda a hack job if my memory serves me. at leas for the electrical portion. Good luck with your swap

Tom
Old 11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Sweet..reference pics...

Tom