Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks
Smile Oh My Gosh I Cant Believe It!!

I just got a 1992 SVX LS-L and i just love it!! I first learned about the svx when a Real Estate Office moved in next door to my house. The owner owns a 1994 LSi And a 1995 LSi so that is how I found out about the SVX. I found one that wasn't in too bad of shape, its got almost 200,000 miles on it but for my first car it runs just fine. Im looking for a rear spoiler for it but havn't found one yett but other than that I LOVE MY SVX!! ~ Dennis

P.S. If Anyone Knows Where To Get A Rear Spoiler On The Web Please Tell Me!!

Last edited by mysvxrocks; 04-30-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Awesome! Congrats on getting a terrific car and welcome to the site!!!!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-30-2004, 01:49 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the nuthouse!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 04-30-2004, 02:24 PM
ou2mame

200k miles huh... good luck with that.

i used to love the svx.. then i owned one. its like a jail sentance. once you get used to eating cup-o-soups for dinner every night because you've spent every last dime keeping your car on the road, there's not much more than a sigh of relief when you give it up to some other poor schmuck. don't get me wrong, driving it was great, i loved driving it. it has decent power, great handling... but when you're losing gears on a 200 mile trip back home, and you park your car in your driveway and have to pull it out with your bronco because the reverse, first, and second gear decided to stop working, then you move on to cars with transmissions that aren't made of glass.

anyway.. yeah.. good luck. i was in your shoes, with merely 89k miles on mine... it was definitely an experience. gotta love those ramon noodles.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sidewinder Send a message via MSN to Sidewinder
Quote:
Originally posted by ou2mame

i used to love the svx.. then i owned one. its like a jail sentance. once you get used to eating cup-o-soups for dinner every night because you've spent every last dime keeping your car on the road, there's not much more than a sigh of relief when you give it up to some other poor schmuck. don't get me wrong, driving it was great, i loved driving it. it has decent power, great handling... but when you're losing gears on a 200 mile trip back home, and you park your car in your driveway and have to pull it out with your bronco because the reverse, first, and second gear decided to stop working, then you move on to cars with transmissions that aren't made of glass.

anyway.. yeah.. good luck. i was in your shoes, with merely 89k miles on mine... it was definitely an experience. gotta love those ramon noodles.

Wow. With all that, welcome!

"The SVX — Where, they wondered, do you put the kayak?"
Old 04-30-2004, 03:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
..move on to cars with transmissions that aren't made of glass.
<sigh>

The transmission is not made of glass. It is terribly under-cooled in this particular application - the SVX - but other than that it's a fine transmission. It's used in plenty of other cars without problems.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had problems with your particular SVX. But that's hardly representative of every SVX built. Mine has been very reliable.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-30-2004, 03:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Dennis, I'm glad you're happy with your SVX. I hope it serves you well. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post them here or run a search - we have an incredible wealth of knoweldge about this car here.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks
Exclamation HMMMM.. Tranny

Yes Yes I know about the tranny but it has been rebuilt once at about 180,000 so its not too bad. The Wheel Bearings in the back might be shot it sounds kind of like a jet engine while going about 10 mpg but other than that i cant hear it going any faster. Its got its downs and ups there is a fan that looks and sounds like something got dropped down it and chewed it up so ill have to replace that. I HATE THE AUTO SEAT BELTS ! They like to choke you. LOL. Ill Post More Later ~ Dennis
Old 04-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Hey, it's another WA person! Check out the local forum, we have meets coming up (you aren't too long a drive away from the seafood meet), probably a bit late for you to come to this Saturday's meet.

I bought my spoiler from strictly subaru in Vancouver BC, he's a good guy to buy parts from. I'm gonna paint it one of these days, really.

Glad you like your car. If it's been cared for 200k isnt bad - there's someone here with over 300k! What color do you have? Hey, is your neighbor a member of this board?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:10 PM

Re: Oh My Gosh I Cant Believe It!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mysvxrocks
P.S. If Anyone Knows Where To Get A Rear Spoiler On The Web Please Tell Me!!
Hello, welcome aboard, I just got my 1995 SVX last tuesday and so far I love it. I read somewhere on this board that you can get a new OEM spoiler from Subaru for ~$70, which seems too unexpensive to be true, but you may want to give Satan a call and find out.

Good luck,

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 05-01-2004, 05:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

<sigh>

The transmission is not made of glass. It is terribly under-cooled in this particular application - the SVX - but other than that it's a fine transmission. It's used in plenty of other cars without problems.

Anyway, I'm sorry you had problems with your particular SVX. But that's hardly representative of every SVX built. Mine has been very reliable.
Exactly. 4EAT tranny isn't weak, persay... just undercooled for our application. Wish they would have put a little more research into their research and design process.

Either way, after driving Alex's 6-speed, wouldn't you rather have that, Nick (even if only for fun-factor)?

So, how was the drive home from Minnesota?

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 05-01-2004, 12:02 PM

introduce this newbie to the high mileage club!

good luck with her!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:52 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:

What are you talking about? I have a 94 with 204k miles. Running fine. A little leak here and there... Worth more as parts than as a whole (kbb trade in around 3k -- black book value around 500) but no big major issue if you take care of it. It all depends on the car. I also had a svx that took more than 10k in a year on repair alone. So...
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-01-2004, 10:26 PM
e'X-driver

hey i just wanted to know is an SVX a good first car i love SVX but my dad used to work for subaru and he sed that i need to get a civic first than work up to an SVX cus he sed parts are hella cash
and i wood work on it more than drive it and i dont think so what do you think????

thx halla back
Old 05-01-2004, 10:43 PM

My SVX was my second car so far, i had a MK3 supra turbo 5spd for first true car(sold it for the SVX after half a year), and i am only 17. I really dont think the SVX would a good first car unless you can fix them or knows some that can for free, parts are pretty expensive for this car, I just spent $180 bucks on a alternator. The only reason I bought one was becasue i can fix it myself, and i dont need a car always and if I do I can borrow one. I bought my SVX for $1000, becasue reverse went right after she did the rear wheel bearing, timing belt, tires and brakes, so she decided to get rid of it. So i swaped a 5spd in it for around $1000 doing all the work my self and know i should have a pretty nice car that went through the normal matince cycle right before i got it. When fixing cars parts are usally not even half of the cost to maintain, its the labor.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-01-2004 at 10:45 PM.