Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-18-2004, 10:04 AM

one thousand down, one hundred thousand to go

Okay, after a thousand-mile-plus shakedown I'm finally becoming comfortable with my SVX. That is, I'm not holding my breath and wincing every time I turn the key.

I found the car on AutoTrader.com at a Subaru dealership 300 miles distant. I'd made up my mind to get an SVX and based my decision to buy this one on a slew of e-mailed photos, the salesman's mention of a recent transmission overhaul by another Subaru dealership and assessment of general mechanical fitness, and the price: $3450. For $250 more they'd deliver in a covered trailer, which I thought wasn't bad for a 600 mile round trip; their guy on the clock, their equipment. But then, I'm lazy and foolishly trusting, and I'm telling anyone who might consider doing such a thing that this is no way to buy a used car.

Every indication thusfar is that I lucked upon a solid automobile with unremarkable middle-age issues: cranky wheel bearings, cracked radiator, some porous hoses. I complained to the dealer that these problems were abundantly obvious and should have been disclosed (especially since I'd specifically asked about the state of the bearings, transmission, and brakes), and with hardly a word of contention they shipped factory replacement parts right to my door. No charge. I still had to provide the labor, obviously, but nonetheless, a drop-dead surprise. There's other, minor stuff to be done, but the car seems to be in fine overall shape. Original, no collision repair, no rust, to-be-expected nicks in the paint, a bit of clearcoat haze here and there, and a couple of very minor door-dings. Immaculate interior, near spotless engine bay. Starts smartly, purrs contentedly at idle, accelerates effortlessly. There's typical Subaru seepage around the cam covers , but overall oil loss/consumption had yet to register on the dipstick. The tires and brake pads are virtually new, and the rotors are true. Fuel economy is running better than 18/25, with no particular effort to conserve.

The transmission is well-mannered (now that I'm familiar with the torque converter's habits). There's a Subaru external filter that's obviously been in place since way back (which brings to mind a question: How often should this "permanent" filter should be changed?), and an ATF cooler was installed with the new radiator. (That's the only aftermarket modification I intend to inflict on this great car.) If there was indeed -- as the salesguy pitched -- a Subaru reman in the transmission's past, the documentation went missing. Imagine that. All I know for sure is the box is clean, it doesn't leak, and it works, so I'm trying hard not to obsess over every shift.

The suspension complains a bit when traversing certain bumps at certain speeds, but my mechanic, who thinks I'm crazy, put her up on the rack, declared everything tight and clean, and told me to shut-up and drive. She tracks straight and true, and I'm just blown away by how the ride improves with speed.

The cruise control was ornery when I got the car but now sets consistently on the first try; I'm guessing oxidation got to some electrical contacts while the car sat baking in the south Georgia sun on the dealer's lot for 6 months and has since worn-away with use. (It sat so long, furry creatures had nested atop the muffler.) Trying to get a CD to play was at first hardly worth the effort, but one of those cleaner-disk things seems to have actually done the trick. The front passenger's switch won't raise the window, but mine will, so it's no pressing concern. I'm saving headlight lens cleaning, replacement of the antenna mast and diagnosis of the rear washer plumbing leak for some warm spring day when I'm uncharacteristically motivated. (I'm guessing re-installing those trunk-liner panels will be loads of fun.) Oh, and the trunk struts are dead. That's about it.

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase, and cautiously optimistic that my SVX will be reliable and enjoyable for years to come. And I consider this forum a great resource. My thanks to all who contribute.

dcb
Old 01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sounds like a keeper. That sounds like it is a good clean car, and with those repairs that you mention, it will be in great shape. Good luck with her in the future.

As far as the back pannel, it isn't as bad as it looks. It was harder to get it off thatn back on. The hose could have come off, or the fitting could have broke off of the sprayer piece. That is what happend to mine.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-18-2004, 02:37 PM
mark10t

Sounds like you got a 'keeper'; a pretty decent deal for the shape and miles of the car. You've got a few not-so-intensive things to do to keep you busy for a while, but what used car doesn't have any maintenance issues.

I would strongly recommend some synthetic ATF as soon as you get a chance as final trans 'insurance'; you've already lucked into having the AT cooler in place. The Georgia heat will make you appreciate the high-temp capability of the syn-ATF.

If you have the inclination, treat your SVX to a regular diet of synthetic oil, too. I've been running Mobil 1 5W-30 (and ATF where applicable) in all my Subaru's since 1985 ('85, '87 turbo-RX's, '91 turbo-Legacy) and they seem to run flawless on the stuff. As I said, I think it's cheap 'insurance'.

I enjoyed your comment about "how the ride improves with speed". I am still amazed at how nice the SVX cruises at high speeds. I'm on the north end of the Twin Cities and regularly get to cruise on I-35 which is posted at 70. Much of the traffic flows at speed beyond that, so I routinely get to truck along at 80-85. It's even sweeter at 100+, but I'm reluctant to push that hard except in the really deserted sections. Oh, what a treat when you can, though.

Good Luck and welcome to the 'club'.

-Mark

Last edited by mark10t; 01-21-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the input.

Regarding synthetic fluids, I've already gone with a synth-blend ATF and good, old reliable Havoline in the crankcase (the only brand I've ever used), but I'm definitely considering the switch to pure synthetic next time around.

Yeah, it's truly amazing how a car that can seem downright cantankerous around town drives like a dream at 70+. The old gal just prefers to fly.

I might have spoken too soon about the effectiveness of the CD lens cleaner. Next day, the player was back to being curiously picky about what disks it would track. And yesterday, the cassette player refuesd to eject a tape...

dcb
Old 01-21-2004, 10:07 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'm glad you're happy with your SVX and that its proven to be the gem you expected.

My CD player is very picky - it just flat out won't read some CDs and others skip a lot.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM
mark10t

<<Yeah, it's truly amazing how a car that can seem downright cantankerous around town drives like a dream at 70+. The old gal just prefers to fly.>>

Define- 'cantankerous'. My SVX is sweet as can be from 0 to 100+. I do get some kind of 'graunchy' noise from the right front suspension under just the right kind of bumps. I thought it might be from the strut, but new struts have failed to alleviate the noise. I've considered it might be some kind of looseness in a bushing or something. That's about as close to a 'complaint' as you'll get from me.

-Mark
Old 01-21-2004, 12:05 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
If you don't mind me asking... where did you get the car? Was it a Subaru dealer in FL?

Jeff
Old 01-21-2004, 01:27 PM

Define- 'cantankerous'. My SVX is sweet as can be from 0 to 100+. I do get some kind of 'graunchy' noise from the right front suspension under just the right kind of bumps. I thought it might be from the strut, but new struts have failed to alleviate the noise. I've considered it might be some kind of looseness in a bushing or something. That's about as close to a 'complaint' as you'll get from me.

-Mark [/B][/QUOTE]

Cantankerous might have been too strong a word. Let's say grumpy: An assortment of minor squonks and thuds from the suspension when going over, as you put it, just the right kind of bumps. But everything feels taut, and handling is fine. Also, a mild feeling of discontent when at idle (especially when holding the brake with the transmission in drive at a traffic light); an occasional, low frequency buzz or rumble with minor vibration through the gas pedal; a sensation more felt than heard. Torque converter complaining, I'd guess, but then, I know next to nothing about automatics. Cause for concern? Y'all tell me.

dcb
Old 01-21-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryShadeofBlue
If you don't mind me asking... where did you get the car? Was it a Subaru dealer in FL?

Jeff

Close. The car came from a Subaru dealership in Valdosta, Georgia. The dealership at the which the transmission was said to have been serviced is in Gainesville, Florida (if indeed there is a Subaru dealership in Gainesville, Florida).

If you have some awful story to relate about my SVX, I don't want to hear it.

Yes, I do.

dcb
Old 01-21-2004, 02:02 PM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
No awful story...just thought it might have been Mastro Subaru here in Tampa. They would have been the type to send you those parts at no cost. However, they probably wouldn't have sold you the car with obvious flaws either.

There is a Subaru dealer in Gainesville, I know someone with an SVX up there and I don't think he's had a problem with them really.

Jeff