SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2003, 05:05 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Parking Ticket Rant

So my buddy, a guy from jewelery, and myself were parked diagnally at Wal-Mart at the FAR end of the parking lot, literally as far away from the store as you can get. There were approximately 35 spots completely empty around us. Between the three cars we took up exactly 4 spots. The right corner of my bumper was literally 2 inches into the space next to me (which had half of the jewelery guy's car in it) and my tire was on the line. Keep in mind we all work at Wal-Mart, have never been told anything about the way we park, and do it EVERYDAY we work. Some ***hole rookie cop decides he just got himself three tickets for "failure to park between marked lines". At the same time another car (the closest car to us) had crossed over the line and HIT another car, two cars were parked in the fire lane, and one non handicapped car was in a handicapped space! I hate cops, we're fighting this one, even if it is only like a $25 ticket.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
fight the good fight, friend.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

1. Isn't it a private lot? If so the cop has no jurisdiction right?
2. Had I saw ya there I would've parked 2 inches from your drivers door (completely in my space of course) as what makes you better then everyone else who parks with in the line. No offense but I'd do the same to any car I saw that did that even if they did park way at the end of the lot.
3. I'd fight it as well, in fact my guess is that Walmart gets a ton of complaints about dings and stuff. If you can get the records you can at least present a case for why you parked that way and at the very least ask the cop in court to explain why he hasn't gone undercover to stake out the parking lot. Think of the doughnuts he could consume while there!
Old 11-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
i have no problem with those that park awkwardly at the far end of the lot, its those that park all retarded near the front and middle. cops definitely are out of that jurisdiction though. im not sure if you guys have a lot of RVs but up here they allow them to congregate and take up all kinds of space at the south west end of our lot. lets see mr rookie tackle that one eh?

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:18 AM

this was in clinton right?

ask him about how is GPS system works

Kelli
(no, don't really do that, that is a sore subject down there)
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:33 AM
Superbeast

Yeah why was a cop giving out tickets in a Walmart parking lot? If you get into an accident in a privite lot the cops don't like to get involved. Personally I don't see a problem with parking stupid way in the back of the lot, altho doing so will tell peolpe that you don't want your car dinged and may just tempt some A-hole to go key your car for fun. Sometimes your better off parking normal way at the back of the lot, as anyone else who parks there will probly do so for the same reason. But giving out a ticket for it is retarted, I would ticket the Jack-ass in the handicap spot (even thoe they take up every spot within 100yards of the store)but If I were you I'd just go to your boss or who evers in charge. If it's Wallmarts parking lot and they don't want to pursue the fines against theire own employes then the cop has no case so F him.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:41 PM
No longer blue member

Exactly, the cop had no reason to be giving out tickets. My bud's dad called and talked to the cop, explaining that we were all employees. The cop said that he was harassing him and threated him, before hanging up on him. His dad is going in to talk directly to the chief tomorrow. Benebob, people do not know how to open their doors. I used to park like everyone else, before witnessing three people smash their doors into mine, without even so much as a "Sorry." Until people learn how to park, I will park the way that I will get the least amount of damage to my car, I am merely protecting my property. If you were to park right next to my door, I would have stolen your wipers.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-01-2003, 08:12 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

if i'm not mistaken, the cop can ticket you in a private parking lot as long as it's a moving violation. they can ticket you however if you are driving in a parking lot that's adjacent to a public road or acts like a throughfare to the public (which is nearly every shopping center or store).

other than fire lanes and handicap spaces, i don't believe they have jurisdiction over the general parking spaces unless you are parked in a way that blocks the flow of traffic. (just like they can't arrest you if you are sitting in the drivers seat of a car with a suspended license and no proof of insurance if the car isn't on.)

Last edited by Noir; 12-01-2003 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:34 AM
No longer blue member

That's what I thought too, but I can't find any concrete proof besides people saying "They can't do that." Kelli, any help here?

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-01-2003, 09:09 AM

if you want concrete proof, go lookup the codes for your state and county. all of that information is public knowledge and is posted somewhere on the internet. i did so to find out about all types of traffic violations, city ordinances, etc.

if i'm not mistaken, some of these violations are slightly different for different states. i'm only stating the fact for the state of georgia. if your rich, then ask a lawyer. if you're poor either look it up yourself or take sometime and go to either your local dmv or to the traffic courthouse in your county and ask the DA (most likely you'll get their assistants).

if you're going to fight a war, might as well go all out. know what you can do and be armed with information to fight it. i doubt anyone here (no offense intended to people here who might be lawyers or judges for burgundybeast's county or state) would be able to lend you creditable information that can be used for your case. i mean are you going to tell the chief, 'kelli said on the svx network who's taking a criminal justice class that you can't give me a ticket in a private parking lot!' or quote facts or laws/codes from the state?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:21 AM

you could always wait 3 years and hope for the best

this was 5yrs ago, dunno if they changed it. i also found a pdf stating all the violations from the new jersey state website that lists traffic violations moving/stationary along with the codes and fines. you can use the codes from that to find out what each entails and what constitutes a violation.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/9899/Bi...00/1572_i1.pdf

Last edited by Noir; 12-01-2003 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:25 AM
No longer blue member

The three year thing still stands, wouldn't want to risk getting arrested for $25 though. Where on the site is the listing? I looked through it for about 30 mins the other day and couldn't find it.

Edit: Nevermind, just found it myself

01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 12-01-2003 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:38 AM
No longer blue member

"Failure to park between marked lines" is not listed as a violation in the pdf.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-01-2003, 11:44 AM

your right, i looked down that list of codes and didn't see any mentioned that fit your circumstance. you may want to look on the ticket and see if they write the violation code and then do a search. most all tickets that they write has the code section that you violated.

i wish you the best of luck in your struggle against the system.

i do it all the time
Old 12-01-2003, 12:03 PM

i really don't think a municpal cop can ticket you on private property. that is like a cop giving you a ticket for not parking straight in your driveway. is there anyway that you can talk to the owner of walmart and have him appear in court with you and talk to the procecutor/judge about the ticket??

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.