How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Unstoppable

Just wanted to post and say hi

I am in the market for an SVX now, or will be in a few months when the snow stops falling and melts. I currently drive a 1998 Dodge Avenger ES, which is a nice car, but way too slow. My plans are to get rid of it in the springtime, and find myself a nice 92-93 SVX to replace it. I wish I could do it now, but I cant afford the snow tires that I would need to make it through the rest of the winter, so for now I'm stuck without a SVX. Then all I have to do is find one, and that seems like its gonna be harder than I originally thought.....
Old 02-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: New Member

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp
Just wanted to post and say hi

I am in the market for an SVX now, or will be in a few months when the snow stops falling and melts. I currently drive a 1998 Dodge Avenger ES, which is a nice car, but way too slow. My plans are to get rid of it in the springtime, and find myself a nice 92-93 SVX to replace it. I wish I could do it now, but I cant afford the snow tires that I would need to make it through the rest of the winter, so for now I'm stuck without a SVX. Then all I have to do is find one, and that seems like its gonna be harder than I originally thought.....
Welcome, "gimp." You've come to the right place. If there's one to be found, it'll be here. You may notice that one of our long time members is selling his (he's in the NY area).

Take your time (looks like you've got a little bit of that) and make sure you choose "wisely." Finding an SVX is only half the battle. Finding one in good shape (especially in the 92/93 range) is the "kicker." Best of luck. Hang around and read some posts. Learn all you can about the car before you start your journey. Forewarned is forearmed.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-07-2003, 02:24 PM
hotshoe50

snow tires???

Hi Gimp,

Not to sound too discouraging either but if your reason not to get an svx is that you can't afford SNOW TIRES, please do yourself a favor and NOT buy an SVX.

These are wonderful but expensive to maintain cars. If your budget does not include snows, then it is light years away from not only owning but maintaining an SVX.

Buy and run a Honda until you can afford an SVX..
Hotshoe
Old 02-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Unstoppable

The problem lies in the fact that I have all my money tied up into the Avenger. If I sell that, I will have more than enough to afford a SVX and any parts I might need. I just dont have $1000 in cash right now at this moment for the tires and rims, and since I cant get a pair of steel takeoff rims, I'm gonna have to buy a nicer set, since its a pain to change over all 4 tires. And on top of that the stock tires are a larger size, so it would run me $120 for each tire alone.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:37 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I believe that not all SVX's are expensive to maintain. If you find a good one that hasn't been too abused or has recently had the main SVX issues taken care of (read: tranny) then it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to keep running.

It will definately cost you more for gas though.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:46 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Welcome to the world of SVX. If you are looking for a fast car, SVX is not it though. Cool looking but it sure is not a Camaro SS or a Stang muscle car. But a good ride overall.

Like EarthWorm said, if you find a good SVX, it will not cost you much. Just try to find a good SVX. Also, ask people here to help you when you find one. Many of us know SVXes and how they should handle and how they should feel. Many of us would also go out and look at the car for you before you get it. Use that. Get a second opinion of the car. My first SVX ran me a little more than 10k in the hole. Since then, I learnt very quickly and my two others that I've bought has cost me at most 2500 between the two of them.

Good luck. Ask any questions if you have.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-08-2003, 05:57 AM

hello and welcome to the network. an svx, most of the time is expensive to maintain...i am workin on a grand on it, and i have only had it for almost a year. i love the car to death, but even now my car is leaking oil among other things....i wish you luck with your search...try to find one that you can buy with a warr, especially on the tranny.. do a little research on here, you'll see some of the numbers and prices. good luck

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Welcome to the club, Gimp! Just take your time on locating an SVX and don't buy the first one you find (unless it is perfect). If you end up with the cash try to find one in good cosmetic shape and an excellent engine. If you can find one wiht a bad tranny, pick it up for a song and use the $ you save to install a 5-speed. That way, aside form rear wheel bearings, you will have next to nothing to worry about maintenance wise and will have a car that'll run for 200K miles easy.

Happy hunting and we all look forward to seeing you one day at a meet.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.