Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-08-2012, 07:49 PM

Registered SVX
Brake overhaul questions

The next step of straightening out my beloved svx,

I need to fix these brakes, I almost smashed a truck yesterday because I couldnt stop fast enough, the pads seem thick, but the car just dont stop, I assume theyre crap and the warped rotors and glazed pads, but hey I bought her for 300 bucks!

I have replaced all of my brake lines, (PITA) and replaced my master cylinder. but the rotors and pads suck!

What are your recommendations for brake pads? I am thinking Redstuff, or Hawk pads for the front, I may go with the Raybestos, I have not decided at this moment, any experiences with these?

next question, I know its extremely debated but are the drilled/cross slotted rotors any better? I understand that from a physics standpoint yes, they are. from a practical stand point I have my doubts that a daily driver could ever notice the difference, my cousin, a master ford tech insists they are for looks only ( he has Brembos front and back on his cougar, yes they are drilled) and suggests I should save my money and buy the Raybestos rotors and save the money for some good pads.

I am not as worried about my rear brakes at the moment. I really just wanna repair the fronts so I can at least get my car to slow down from eighty.

also, are parking brake shoes around?

thanks all for input!

Last edited by Jay Wrix; 02-08-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Brake overhaul questions

I've had cheap pads and rotors and never had a problem stopping safely in traffic. I would guess you need to bleed your brakes.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wrix View Post
The next step of straightening out my beloved svx,

I need to fix these brakes, I almost smashed a truck yesterday because I couldnt stop fast enough, the pads seem thick, but the car just dont stop, I assume theyre crap and the warped rotors and glazed pads, but hey I bought her for 300 bucks!

I have replaced all of my brake lines, (PITA) and replaced my master cylinder. but the rotors and pads suck!

What are your recommendations for brake pads? I am thinking Redstuff, or Hawk pads for the front, I may go with the Raybestos, I have not decided at this moment, any experiences with these?

next question, I know its extremely debated but are the drilled/cross slotted rotors any better? I understand that from a physics standpoint yes, they are. from a practical stand point I have my doubts that a daily driver could ever notice the difference, my cousin, a master ford tech insists they are for looks only ( he has Brembos front and back on his cougar, yes they are drilled) and suggests I should save my money and buy the Raybestos rotors and save the money for some good pads.

I am not as worried about my rear brakes at the moment. I really just wanna repair the fronts so I can at least get my car to slow down from eighty.

also, are parking brake shoes around?

thanks all for input!
I think you may find that the caliper slides are stuck tight.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Registered SVX

pretty sure the bleed jobs alrite, took me a long while to get it right, I never had a problem while living in the upper pennisula, just this damn city driving.

thanks for the suggestion Harvey, I cant say ive ever checked if they are froze up! I kinda just glanced at them, I did remove them for the front wheel bearing, but... cant say I even paid attention to the brakes past hanging them