How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Imagine...

ABS Removal

Has anyone removed the ABS parts and by-passed the brake lines? Any threads I can read or how-to info available. I appreciate your help.

I know you may ask why. Answer: I don't like the way it looks and I for one don't see a benefit from it. Plus it adds weight up front.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: ABS Removal

Well the ABS pretty much lets you preserve steering control under hard braking, so you can still swerve around obstacles instead of locking the brakes and skidding into it. For a snow car, ABS is pretty vital. As for removing it, the weight saved would be in the few pounds range....... and some secondary issues will arise, like the ABS light and the value of the car to prospective buyers (you never know). You also might want to check out any legal issues with modifying factory safety systems in your state.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Well the ABS pretty much lets you preserve steering control under hard braking, so you can still swerve around obstacles instead of locking the brakes and skidding into it. For a snow car, ABS is pretty vital. As for removing it, the weight saved would be in the few pounds range....... and some secondary issues will arise, like the ABS light and the value of the car to prospective buyers (you never know). You also might want to check out any legal issues with modifying factory safety systems in your state.
ABS can legally be removed as long as insurance companies are notified. You also lose a relatively substantial amount of weight considering its location from the front wheels. The pump weighs a good 10lbs at least, couple lbs for the extra lines used and then a couple for the controller. Gram or two for the bulb in the dash too. I have to agree that the system in the SVX is a rapid fire and works very well for keeping the car under control. Used it quite a few times in hard braking(120->40) at Pocono and may have very well saved me from going off the course. It also works well in bad weather. So unless you are making a car for race purposes where a good driver is an ABS unit, I would leave it in the car

Tom
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Ancient ABS is more dangerous than no ABS. I removed it from every 240 I had, my VR4, my old GC Impreza, and my old FC. You're better off without it. Way too unpredictable, both for safety and performance. I don't know if it got any better after 92, but if it didn't, I'd say we're all better off scrapping it.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
Ancient ABS is more dangerous than no ABS. I removed it from every 240 I had, my VR4, my old GC Impreza, and my old FC. You're better off without it. Way too unpredictable, both for safety and performance. I don't know if it got any better after 92, but if it didn't, I'd say we're all better off scrapping it.
read my above statements. The SVX ABS is quite on par with modern units and its functionality is great both for performance and safety as long as it is all working properly

tom
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

I saw it pop up after I posted mine. My ABS is still there since I've got a number of things to do before worrying about that, and I haven't tested its limits at all. I've become very familiar with the point before lockup and whatnot with the other cars, so it feels odd regardless (only real experience was icy roads in recent weeks.)

The ABS on my vr4 was particularly frightening, which is really bad for a car that weighs in a few hundered lbs more than the SVX does.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have to say that the abs system in the Svx is by far the best i've ever experienced and is ahead of some of the current systems. For instance, on our 02 Durango the brakes actually do lock up for a split second, then releases and then locks up again and will continue to do this. My dad spun it around one time and a few weeks ago I would have either rearended a plow or spun out on the freeway because of it had I not had plenty of experience with non-abs cars. The abs on my 95 cutlass was alright but it helped I had goodyear triple treads that were new and my 99 grand prix worked fine even with bald tires.
I was actually surprised at how well the abs system was in the svx the first couple times it engaged. Now, I don't even worry about weather or not it will kick in because it works as it should.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Yeah, my SVX did great in the snow with the ABS, my wife's car (Which has a very similar ABS unit, 91 Legacy Turbo) didn't do quite as well in stopping, but still did better than my truck, which just has ABS on the rear, so the front will still lock up (And it's useless in 4WD). I would leave it, if you have any problem with it, it will just shut down and work like normal brakes anyway. The weight savings is NOT worth it!
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta