How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-27-2002, 06:48 PM
fongangus

Oil Change

I am going to change the engine oil this week. I am planning to use Mobil Syn. Does anyone know can I use the Syn oil? And which should I use?(10W-30?5W-30?) And any tips of oil change? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
As I understand it really isn't the best thing to use synthetic, unless the car has always used it since the very first oil change, if this is the case I would go forward if not,stick with the non synethic mobil.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:57 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
It won't damage anything, it is superior in most respects. The one problem area you may notice is that the oil will seep past older seals and gaskets, where the regular oil did not.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Hater

you could go halfway and try a synthetic blend.

Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-01-2002, 07:28 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Mobil 1 is a true Hydro carbon. It is the puriest oil available without any impurities because it did not come out of the ground. It ws man made. Mobil has/had a patent on this. Any other syn-oils are something else. Unless the patent ran out. So..................
Old 07-01-2002, 07:36 AM
billisa

Synthetic or not?

I used Synthetic in my XT Turbo, but I wonder about how much better synthetic would be on a non-turbo SVX. If you use a quality product and change it every 3,000 miles, I wonder if there are any significant benefits. Mine is a '92 LSL with 142,000 miles and she uses almost no oil between changes, so thus far I've stayed with regular oil. Does anyone have an opinion as to the best regular oil? Castrol? Kendall? Havoline?
Old 07-01-2002, 08:24 AM
red95svx

oil

It is a myth that you can not use synthetic oil unless the car has been using it since new. You can start using it at anytime, and you could even switch back to regular oil if you wanted to. The biggest advantages of synthetic are less friction at startup (which is where a lot of your engine wear comes from), and superior resistance to breakdown. In fact (I've posted this elsewhere also) I just read an article about Mobile 1 synthetic oil that said that Mobile engineers stated that if vehicle manufacturers started recommending oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals, Mobile 1 would have no problems meeting the requirement. It's that good at resisting breakdown.

It is also a myth that you can not use synthetic oil in a new engine. Porsche, Lamborghini, Mercedes, Ferrari and Dodge (the Viper) are some examples of manufacturers that use synthetic oil in some (or all) of their cars right at the factory.

David
Old 07-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
This months hot rod magazine had a good article on synthetics - they even swapped the dino oil out of an old car with synthetic and made 10hp or so at the rear wheels. I have been running synthetic in mine for 60k and my wifes for 22k and have not seen a problem with more oil leaking. Both were run on dino oil up to 100k miles and made the switch then. I dont think I've seen 10hp at the wheels or even 1 hp but it does make me feel a little better each time I watch the tach wrap around to know I have some sort of added protection in there. My wagon, on the other hand, would leak even if it was full of straight 30 dino oil but after 270k hard miles it still can bark the tires into 3rd and when I last popped the valve covers it was nice and clean in there.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Hater

i agree that synthetic oil is vastly superior to "dino oil", but Beav is right---your seals had better be good because the synthetic oil will leak right through 'em. i used Mobil 1 in my 928 and it started leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez. back to regular Castrol, and it settled down a bit.

BTW, the UPC code on a case of Mobil 1 is apparently just for 1 quart. bought a case at a local dept. store and a spaced out teenager scanned it and proceded to charge me $4.xx for the case. heh heh.

Alan

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 07-01-2002, 10:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: Synthetic or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by billisa
I used Synthetic in my XT Turbo, but I wonder about how much better synthetic would be on a non-turbo SVX. If you use a quality product and change it every 3,000 miles, I wonder if there are any significant benefits. Mine is a '92 LSL with 142,000 miles and she uses almost no oil between changes, so thus far I've stayed with regular oil. Does anyone have an opinion as to the best regular oil? Castrol? Kendall? Havoline?
The fact of the matter is the oil still gets dirty from contaminants and needs to be changed. The peace of mind vs. perceived value vs. ROI will be argued to death and really isn't worth the effort. If you're not driving wide-open all the time, maintain your car to run well and change the oil on time regular multi-weight will work just fine.

It's been a few years but the last time we did a spinning load test Kendall GT1 came out on top by a significant margin. The other name brands were pretty well grouped together about 25% down scale and the off brands were trailing way back.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:48 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Re: Synthetic or not?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

It's been a few years but the last time we did a spinning load test Kendall GT1 came out on top by a significant margin.

OKAY This is good information but what is a spinning load test? How is it done?