How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to pipedream
i dunno, it seems pretty heavy to me.

Thanks to the guy down there who posted the subaru parts numbers... gonna order up new struts tomorrow!

I'll feel really manly installing those things too, you better believe.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipedream
I like to do reps with my heavy trunk lid. Ya know, keep in shape and the what not. Cheaper and quicker than going to the gym.
How many reps can you do before you need a spotter?...lol
Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM

How would one Install a remote Trunk release

Yes I agree the trunk is heavy.

There was some info. about a trunk release from Kuoh and a couple of pictures of the mechanical lever. Does anyone know what would be required to connect one. I had a Subaru after market starter, door lock opener and security sys. installed at the dealer several years ago and it works fine.

I would like to install the trunk opener myself. I think I need a solenoid, relay and a remote control. I would appreciate any help I could get for installing a remote trunk release on my 1992 SVX.

Thanks......... Bye for now.............Ralph
Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ralph, does your aftermarket system have a trunk release option built in?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM

Hi David, Yes there is a spot for trunk release

The problem is that The remote has no room for it. i.e. no exra button on the control. It,s Subaru's system but MPI would not give me an ins. dicoumt but if you have a dodge van it's free. You know that it's (Dodge)the most stollen vehicle in Wpg.

I looked at the diagram and there is a spot for the trunk. I saw your post and thought you might be interested. I went to Frontier to have it installed but take note, they could not install the remote door opener without 1st installing an acctuator to open both doors. They said I did not have power doors. That of course is incorrect but it seems that the conrol will not work because each door has its own lock so they sent it next door on regent to have the acctuator installed. I think the charge for the remote may have the acctuator price included but I don,t have that info available here.

Keep in touch...........Ralph
Old 08-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Actually the driver door doesn't have an actuator on our Canadian models. Since we don't have keyless entry there's no need for an actuator. The passenger door has one so it can follow the driver's door.

So when do we get together next for a mini meet? I'll be at the big Garden City car show on the 9th.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:39 PM

Garden City on Sept. 9/06 Is that correct ?

Hi David,
I did't know about the Garden City Car Show. I really enjoy walking around the lot looking at all the oldies/goodies. Are you entering again ?

I'm working on the SVX now. I repaired and replaced the rusted strip on the inner drivers side door. The strip that holds the bottom plastic panel on.

Marion Motors replaced the oxygen sensors in July and my milage improved.
I got 34 mi/gal. Highway.

So you know that an acctuator is required to install the remote door openers. I guess I forgot what door they put it in but when I had the panel off I thought that I saw one on the drivers side but it could have been the opener for that door.

I.ll see you at Garden City. Bye.....Ralph
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Meow!

I'm at that car show every year. It's the biggest show of the year.

Did you replace the rocker panel below the door or part of the door itself?

34MPG is awesome. That's about 28(US)MPG. My best ever is 35MPG. I have a new pair of O2 sensors ready to go but I'm planning on replacing the pre-cats and using the new sensors at that point.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM

Fiberglass Panel

Hi David,
The fiberglass panel pulled away from the bottom side of the door and let water inside the door. It was not a major problem but it was rusting upward on the door.

There is a metal strip with 3 bolts and some plastic fasteners that attaches to the metal part of the door. It slips under the plastic and snaps in place. You must also remove the inner door panel. I bought the parts from Frontier subaru and they were suprised that they were in stock in Mississauga. I had to cut the rust away big time and then add a metal strip to attach the one I bought, I fiberglassed the big holes.

This will more than answer your question but it may also be helpful to others who drive in the snow and salt.
bye for now...........Ralph
Old 09-04-2006, 09:56 PM

perfect struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvx95
Trust me it's heavy....the trunk wont pop up on it's own...just enough to release from the latch. My struts are perfect.
You just have to lightly close it, the weight will make sure it latches.
if your struts are perfect then your wing on the trunk is way... too... heavy! LOL the trunk is not even metal but a composit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LVMYSVXJPEG.jpg (124.5 KB, 147 views)