How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-03-2005, 09:06 AM
KCROGUEDOG

needed ball joint info

i need a little info on our ball joints. my left lower one is slit. no noise yet but i want to replace (before trip to lower 48). the replacement is easy but i can not find the part. napa nor schucks to two main auto places have no listings for this part. is it a dealer part? and this is the one on the a arm u have to disconnect for half shaft install. 4 bolts 3 on a arm and 1 crimp bolt for joint. another q. do they come with the metal pancake or have to be pressed? if i do the left shall i do the right to if not bad? do we have a top ball joint (i just did the gc koni install and i have no noalage of one being there at all)?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
- I think they're only available from the dealer. I have never found them elsewhere. iirc they are about $50???

- Yes, you're thinking of the right part. It will come as a complete part with the arm that takes 3 bolts to the control arm and the cup that gets held in place by the pinch bolt.

- Replacing the other side... That's your call, if the boot is good and you're not having any other handling problems, I wouldn't.

- There is no top ball joint on the SVX
Old 08-03-2005, 12:53 PM
KCROGUEDOG

cool im not going to replace the other side. i had an argument with the parts man about there was no top. i swore i didnt see one and was right. and its just a uninstall reinstall part. no popping out old one and pressing new one.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROGUEDOG
...and its just a uninstall reinstall part...
Sometimes the top will be seized/rusted in the cup of the steering knuckle, and then it can be a pain to get that out. But if you've recently had it out to replace the axle, you shuldn't have that problem. If I recall there is a hole that would give punch access from the top if it is siezed in there??

If there are no rusted/seized parts or bolts, I'd guess 30 minutes from wheel up to wheel down. With those three bolt holding it to the control arm, and the suspension geometry in general, the swap is much easier than the XT6 I swapped ball joints on.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:19 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I was able to replace the balljoints without having to remove the halfshafts. It was a little tricky though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:15 PM
KCROGUEDOG

i had the other side out. but just by impacting the 3 bolts and and wrenching the pinch bolt. i just had someone pull out the rotor ass. and i pulled down the springing a arm and wala.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:20 PM
KCROGUEDOG

man o man the it is only a dealer part and the dealer up here wanted 92 dollars plus to get it a little quicker 15 more just for 1. what a rip. i told them the price is lower on the suby parts site and they said i would be best ordering from there. they wanted 57 dollars for 1. but for the minimum shipping here ground i paid 28 bucks. so it cost around 85 bones for 1 and its ordered. booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 PM
KCROGUEDOG

the placement of these dont affect a alingment does it. im getting tires and a alignment done today and replacing the joint begining of next week.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
the placement of these dont affect a alingment does it. im getting tires and a alignment done today and replacing the joint begining of next week.
I would reschedule the alignment till afterwards...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
My suggestion is to have alignment done after the replacement.... thts always a good idea to make sure the things are done perfectly.

-Pavan.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:30 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If the balljoint you are replacing is worn and has mucho freeplay in the balljoint assembly itself, then it would be good to do the alignment after doing the balljoint. If the balljoint is still tight, then there will be a very minor affect on the alignment when you replace the balljoint. The only adjustability in position of the balljoint piece is the connection between the balljoint and the control arm. There is maybe 1 mm of total free play. It would have a negligible affect on camber, and a slight affect on toe.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:46 PM
KCROGUEDOG

that is the answer i was looking for. and the ball joint is still tight and doing its job. no ill affects on driving or sounds. it has a small slit on the out side.