How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-16-2004, 01:25 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original Mazda rotary engines suffered from "Acute Rotor Wear" and thats why they were discontinued for a while....They also had trouble making them meet smog regulations as far as I recall... But I always thought it was a cool concept.

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 11-16-2004, 01:29 PM

Upnygimp, Landshark and Pavanbabut, I certainly see your point and agree with it, a perfect example is the new Cobra which comes factory with high-300 horses (supercharged) and with a pulley, intake and exhaust will easily produce low-mid 400s. A force-induced 4-banger like the EVO, STi or SRT-4 will NOT make in excess of 400 horses with only a boost controller (similar to pulley for supercharger), intake and exhaust.

I guess that the point I was trying to make is that size of the engine alone won't determine the power of the powerplant, since a 2.0l 4-banger like the revised 4G63 that powers the EVO 8 can handle in excess of 500whp on its stock bottom end.

Regards,

Walter
1999 Ducati 748S (built 996 engine)
Old 11-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Unstoppable

Re: Re: Re: wht makes big difference between 1.5l and 3.3L

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

I'm not saying they are easier to blow up, but that thier sealing edges(as they don't have rings) wear out before a comparable set of rings on a piston engine will, or basicaly, you can get more miles out of a piston engine before it need to be overhauled....and it's harder to find anyone that will work on a Rotary engine to boot.....

I like the rotary engine, but was just bringing up some of the differences he was asking about...
Well, thats only half true. If his friend had a FB or FC RX7, those were pretty bulletproof having the same lifespan of a regular piston engine. It was the FDs that blow up every 60k miles, due to the stress put on the engine by the twin turbos.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 11-16-2004, 01:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally posted by Treppiede
Upnygimp, Landshark and Pavanbabut, I certainly see your point and agree with it, a perfect example is the new Cobra which comes factory with high-300 horses (supercharged) and with a pulley, intake and exhaust will easily produce low-mid 400s. A force-induced 4-banger like the EVO, STi or SRT-4 will NOT make in excess of 400 horses with only a boost controller (similar to pulley for supercharger), intake and exhaust.

I guess that the point I was trying to make is that size of the engine alone won't determine the power of the powerplant, since a 2.0l 4-banger like the revised 4G63 that powers the EVO 8 can handle in excess of 500whp on its stock bottom end.

Regards,

Walter
ok... i got ur point in the begining..... but atlast wht will u conclude ont he performance of those two types.... please tell me overall... dont tell me like "if we consider tht this will be better or if we consider tht tht will be better..." please gimme an exact overall answer.

Thanks,
Pavan.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: wht makes big difference between 1.5l and 3.3L

Quote:
Originally posted by upnygimp

Well, thats only half true. If his friend had a FB or FC RX7, those were pretty bulletproof having the same lifespan of a regular piston engine. It was the FDs that blow up every 60k miles, due to the stress put on the engine by the twin turbos.
yeah one of my friends is having eclipse and the other is having mazda MX-5

Pavan.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:45 PM

Hey guys,
U can call me as Pavan or by Babu (my pet name).....

pvanbabut is part of my name... anyway u can't call me with my full name,,, and i bet tht... if u want to try this is my full name...

Naga Siva Kesava Pavan Kumar Babu Tiruveedhula.

My SSN name is Pavan Kumar N Tiruveedhula.

Pavan.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally posted by Treppiede

Regards,

Walter
Well yes, it does have a lot to do with design what the engine can take. But no replacement for displacement does hold true. Thats just how it is. More displacement means more air and fuel and that means more power.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 11-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by huck369
The main differance between the RX-8's 1.5L and the SVX's 3.3L is the fact that the RX-8 has a rotary engine, NOT a piston engine like most cars, so in a rotary engine the 1.5, is more like a 4.5 piston engine....so that why they get more power from less liters....but they won't hold up near as well as a piston engine....
Actually the RX8 uses a 2 rotor design...not 3. The rotary would be comparable to a 3.0L engine.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:09 PM
no limitation as limitation

what i find intresting and sad is micro rotory engines. rotary engines on a microscopic level powered by hydrogen canpower a cell phone for its entire life at a size comparible to a watch batery. they have been experimenting with the application at mit for quite some time. however personaly i feel that the large scale rotary engine in the rx line is largly novelty. eventough the new genoration has made huge hp gains by modifying the placement of the intake exaust ports i dont think its a fiesable large scale application. turbines however are a nother story those things will run forever, are fuel efficent, compatible will most forms of combustible fuels and small enough for a bike powerful enough for a car. MTT makes some nice products as they are willing to put a turbine into anyhting
Old 11-16-2004, 03:23 PM

Re: Re: wht makes big difference between 1.5l and 3.3L

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotorflyr

Simple........1.8L
you are tooooooo smart.......

Pavan.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:18 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Actually I'm pretty sure a common misconception is that the 13B rotary engine has an actual displacement of 2.6L according to an article I read in Sport Compact car.

I always wanted an RX-7 with an LS1 engine.... *drool*....

Can you say haulin' ass? Hehehe
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-18-2004, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
[BI always wanted an RX-7 with an LS1 engine.... *drool*....

Can you say haulin' ass? Hehehe [/B]

Good Choice! Those damn things are fast w/ even just a stock Ls1. I'm putting and LS1/T56 into my 87 Formula 350. W/ a stock LS1 it will run high 12's.
-ECU Stage 1 Chip *
-Alluminum Drive Pulley *
-Stage 1 Shift Kit
-Small Car Clear Lenses and Corners
-1997 SVX Grill
-17" X 7" Enkei Shoguns
*Thanks Dayle! (SVX Motorsports)

1987 Pontiac Formula 350
-Enough (Once I put it back together again)
Old 11-18-2004, 09:53 AM
RobSVX

However, many of those Turbo 4 cyl's use N2O for getting up to speed.
The statement 'there is no replacment for displacement' does stand true for Low-End Torque'. Larger V motors do produce more torque...and that moves weight.

Personally, I think most are ridiculous. Most don't even work on their cars or even know how. Thinking a huge coffee can exhaust give them power, while the rest of the pipe is 1.5" ?
Or putting on a huge wing, that only causes drag...and if it does give downforce, it just pushes the front of the car up - where the drive wheels are ? ...and catches air ?
You've got to get both front and rear balanced, then do more then just 'slam' the car, to make it worthwhile in a curve.

Why not get a real car with rear wheel drive, that's starts with more HP anyway. Silly Craze that will hopefully die out.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
TorG0d

Rotary engines are by definition 2-cycle engines, so to compare displacement in a rotary with a 4-cycle engine you must double the rotary's displacement, so the 238bhp in the 1.5L RX-8 being compares to the ~230bhp of the EG33 is not 1.5L vs. 3.3L, it's actually 3.0L vs. 3.3L.

Or something to that affect.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: