SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-18-2004, 02:15 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Penny routinely gets 30mpg on freeway driving during warm months. 21-23 in town during warm months. That goes a bit lower during cold weather.

She's still cheaper to fill up with premium than my regular-gas-guzzling Bronco alternative.

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx

But you're comparing running a single bulb for twelve hours with running a whole car for ten hours! It just doesn't work! Do you have any idea how much power it takes to fire 6 coils thousands of times per minute?! Don't forget all of your sensors that need power, plus the ECU and TCU, plus your instruments!

And a brand new battery CAN be killed by leaving a dome light on overnight. All you need to do is run your battery down below 12 volts and your car won't start. That's not a tough thing to do.

Case in point: I used to work at an aftermarket parts store. To advertise a sale we were having, we took a brand new battery out of stock and connected it to a flashing light (the kind they use on a plow truck). The light lasted approx. 6 hours. Now you're going to tell me that the same battery could have powered my whole car for 10 hours!
All I can say is that I have driven with a dead alternator for about a total of 1 - 1.25 hours. There were at least three starts in there somewhere, maybe four. Once was at night for about 20 minutes (read: headlights were on, utilizing both high and low beams when necessary). The other times were during the day. I had my stereo bumping during all of it (read my sig for the components).

The car sat for about 4 hours before I tried to start it again.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:17 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonar
The site referred to is NOT correct, stating that I would have to pay $4.01 / Gallon of fuel, that's WRONG, I'll have to pay $5.20 !
"...The U.S. average for March 2000, self-serve unleaded regular gasoline, is $1.43...."

Heck, that link is for a page from several years ago. Imagine what it is now!

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
But you're comparing running a single bulb for twelve hours with running a whole car for ten hours! It just doesn't work! Do you have any idea how much power it takes to fire 6 coils thousands of times per minute?! Don't forget all of your sensors that need power, plus the ECU and TCU, plus your instruments!

And a brand new battery CAN be killed by leaving a dome light on overnight. All you need to do is run your battery down below 12 volts and your car won't start. That's not a tough thing to do.

Case in point: I used to work at an aftermarket parts store. To advertise a sale we were having, we took a brand new battery out of stock and connected it to a flashing light (the kind they use on a plow truck). The light lasted approx. 6 hours. Now you're going to tell me that the same battery could have powered my whole car for 10 hours!
Well, I drove my SVX for two hours without an alternator belt and I had my headlights on for half of that. I'm using the no-name battery that came with the car, and after two hours of use, it started effortlessly. While I never seem to leave my dome light on, I've seen them left on overnight on many occasions without consequence.

You case in point is not a good example of a 'good' battery. Batteries off the shelf frequently are very undercharged. One that gets used and charged regularly would be much healthier. Some experts even argue that a battery must be broken in, though I can't attest to that.

How much current do coils draw at thousands of firings per minute? (And do you think they draw more or less the faster they fire? ) Seems to me, six small coils could potentially draw much less than a single coil. All the solid-state devices should draw negligible amounts of current. Off the top of my head, the fuel pump is the only other necessary non-solid-state device aside from the instrument cluster, which should also be a fairly low draw unit.

Starting the car is indeed an enormous current draw, but if you only start it ten times (and it starts promptly,) you should be okay.

A healthy car battery is good for about 80 amp/hours. Over ten hours, that leaves you with eight amps to run everything. That's roughly the equivalent of having your low-beams on. If you shut everything down except the bare essentials, I think you should be able to draw less than eight amps. It wouldn't be hard to test.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:29 AM
red95svx

I still disagree. I've worked at garages too long to believe that you can drive for 10 hours after your alternator dies. I've never heard of anyone making it very far after a complete alternator failure... new battery, old battery, headlights on/off.....doesn't matter. Your electrical system NEEDS two things: an alternator and a battery. Take away either, and you don't have a complete system!

Dave
Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo

How much current do coils draw at thousands of firings per minute? (And do you think they draw more or less the faster they fire? )

I realize that the coils use the same amount of energy each time they fire, no matter how often they fire. But an increase in the rate of fire will increase the rate at which the battery discharges!

Dave
Old 05-22-2004, 03:55 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
This is the gas station across the street from my office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0125.jpg (315.9 KB, 110 views)

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 05-22-2004, 04:58 PM

I'll think I pass on that ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 05-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by thndrmtn92svx
This is the gas station across the street from my office.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)