Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2003, 12:50 PM
MarXVS

Any painting tips?

I'm considering a paint job, any advance tips before I do this.

I have heard and read comments (elsewhere) about things like:
* make sure it's just not a cheap tape and paint job
* they should take the windshield out for example, while others have said don't take the windshield out it never goes back in the same way as factory (and sometimes leaks afterward). In addition the windsheild is part of the overall integrity of the car. We do have lots of glass so this one concerns me.
* I've heard whispers of bad factory paint jobs and clearcoat flaking off. Any comments about hidden warranty issues?

My paint has chipped/flaked in places and the clearcoat is beginning to peel/flake mostly at edges and seams. I like to get to these things before they become too big so I have lots of time to do this. Probably in the spring.

Comments advice?
Old 11-22-2003, 01:20 PM
JLittell

Paint inside the lines!
Old 11-22-2003, 03:16 PM
larry

Painting your car

I used to run a body shop, I have painted "lots" of cars. Some good paint jobs, some bad. I have NEVER had to remove the windshield to paint a car. Where did you get such an idea? Yes, if you are doing a total restore job, it might be necessary, but just a paint job?

To insure a good paint job, preparation is everything. Proper wet sanding and a good primer will insure that the paint will adhere to the old surface. In some cases it may be necessary to use a primer/sealer (such as with moldy/mildewed paint). When wet sanding, be thorough. Not sanding the small areas and hard to reach areas will cause paint flaking or peeling later.

Lastly, use a good quality paint for the repaint. Preferable something compatible with the original paint. Most cars that vintage used a basecoat/clearcoat system. I am not sure which Subaru used on this car, but a good basecoat/clearcoat will last. If you are doing the bumpers or plastic parts (such as the mirrors) be sure to add flex additive to the paint, as it will chip and peel from the plastic if you don't.

Do not try to paint it yourself unless you have the experience and the proper equipment. Most modern paints have isocyanates in them, (ie cyanide) that builds up in the blood stream and NEVER goes away. A simple paint mask will not filter that out, but only a fresh air supply mask system.

Don't get the car done at a cheap repaint shop. Somebody did that to my SVX before I got it and butchered up a fantastic car. Good Luck.

Larry
Old 11-22-2003, 04:25 PM
MarXVS

Re: Painting your car

Quote:
Originally posted by larry
I have NEVER had to remove the windshield to paint a car. Where did you get such an idea?

Don't get the car done at a cheap repaint shop. Somebody did that to my SVX before I got it and butchered up a fantastic car.
Thanks Larry. Especially about the health/safety reminder. And I don't want a butchered job fer sure. I was planning on the prepwork but did not intend to do the painting myself (I'll stick to furniture finishing - that's bad enough).

A co-worker described details about painting and then referred me to three shops. A hi-end BMW/Subaru delership and an Acura dealer, and a restore shop. All four said the same thing to me. I didn't ask for a restore job just a paint job so I assume the quotes were for a vanilla paint job with one extremely minor rust spot. The restore shop described about some disassembly but their quote was a bit over the top. The other shops described similar activities before painting. The quotes were all between 26-3000 bucks a year ago. Seemed a bit high to me, but I never gave another thought to whether removing the windshield was necessary. My druther is not anyway.

Would you define a cheap paint shop by the price (ie 99 dollar pick your car up tomorrow)? I'd like to get a great job at a low price but I wouldn't know how to compare shops (except by some reference work) - never had a car painted before. Maybe my idea of the cost is a bit lower than reality but since 3 quotes were in the same ballpark I figured a couple thousand was the going rate these days for an SVX.

Just out of curiosity what's anybody else paid for a complete SVX painting.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:24 PM
boundsie

I had my Suby looked at during the "Fall Sale" at a Maaco shop and for what I wanted, they quoted $3200. Yikes! Some sale. Anyway, I have access to a decent shop and some experience painting so that is going to be my winter project. I hope I don't get into too much trouble cluttering up Grandpa's shop with a "Jap Job". (He's a little partial to American cars.)
Old 11-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

We've had many threads on paint jobs in here. Do a search. I paid $2,800.00 to a "paint & body shop only", over a year ago. Everything that could be unbolted & unclipped from the body, was. All glass stayed where it was. All paint was per Suby factory code (ebony mica). They didn't do the door jambs or under hood & trunk.
It still looks like new.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:04 PM
nnjsvx

Smile

Just had my 94 LSI Bordeuax Pearl completely repainted this past Aug / Sept. No glass removed. I have had a few cars done over the years and removing a window was never even thought about.

Job ran $2700. It did not include jambs or under hood or trunk lid.
It did include removal of all lower body cladding, door handle assemblies, rearview side mirrors, bumpers, cladding where "SUBARU SVX" side decals are, all these painted off car, removal of all rubber or gasket materials between body parts, including around sunroof, so no rubber would accidently get painted, stripping of hood and roof, removal of all lights and front grill, and repaint of wiper arms and reassembly. Dings and scratch repairs included.There are some pics in my locker.

Job came with a 7 year warranty on paint fade and delamination or peeling. It was Dupont 7500 I think and color matched to original of course.

Price included any touch up I might of found after hardening for at least 4 weeks and a wax glaze coat. I just picked it back up yesterday. No new pics yet.

I am very happy with the job and price.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

if i was gonna get mine painted id expect around 3K as a good price if you can get a little less than that you are doing good. I was doing some touchups on my NX this weekend in fact. always fun doing paint. get good paint i do agree with that....i like croma one it is a dupont paint and very nice. Just watch what they do along the way and make sure they do sand it down nice..fill the dents and fix the larger ones...and make sure they spray the clear coat right...iv seen many cars come outof a shop with clear coat that is not clear but rather fuzzy and needs to be buffed out smooth. good luck on what ya find
Old 11-24-2003, 01:17 PM
MarXVS

Thanks a lot for all the tips and comments.
Sounds like paint quotes are fairly similar for similar work (except for the one high one I got too). I don't know why anybody would remove the windshield either, unless there was some specific reason for it, my glass has no cracks or chips though.

I bet you had a day long smile after driving the new SVX home.