Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 10:33 AM
MarXVS

Anyone in the Ottawa region

I'm new here and although I've had my SVX for 6 years I never even thought to look for a group to discuss it. (my brain must have been loose) There aren't many people in my neck of the woods with one (an SVX not a loose brain) that I could chat with, so up until now I've kinda felt alone.

A question:
Is there anyone else here in the Ottawa (Ont/Que) region, and if so where have you been getting service? I can't seem to find a decent mechanic. Even the dealers that I can get to don't seem to do a very good job. Most have done more harm than good and are full of myths about the car.

Here's a new one I'd never heard before and just don't believe.
I was told the SVX engines are sought after by light plane enthusiasts for some reason. If I flew planes I'm not sure I would put an engine that might have come from a totalled car into it. I could be wrong but despite the wonderful engine it just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
[BrUn]

Hi!

Glad to see i'm not the only one in Qc on this board

My subaru dealer has a mechanic who own 2 SVX. The service I'm getting satisfy me, but it's far from Ottawa. When I'm going there I always ask to get my car repair by him. I talked to him about the site but he doesn't have a computer! He would have been a valuable ressource for the forum...

PM me if you want to know more about the dealer.

Question: Do you speak French?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Anyone in the Ottawa region

Quote:
Originally posted by MarXVS
Here's a new one I'd never heard before and just don't believe.
I was told the SVX engines are sought after by light plane enthusiasts for some reason. If I flew planes I'm not sure I would put an engine that might have come from a totalled car into it. I could be wrong but despite the wonderful engine it just doesn't make sense to me.
Welcome to the Network! I'm glad you joined us!

Yes, Subaru engines of all types are popular with the homebuilt crowd because of their layout and durability. Some EG33 engines have been put into aircraft, and some people have posted websites about their experiences. There are even a couple companies in the US which offer Subaru engines (including the EG33) converted for aircraft use.

Again, welcome - I hope you stick around!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-18-2003, 11:54 AM
MarXVS

Well wadya know ... an urban legend not. It is an awesome engine fer sure.

The only direct experience I have with the light aircraft crowd was a coworker whose plane crashed when the engine failed. It was not a good outcome. So when I hear things that involve potential life threatening issues, safety comes to my mind first. Maybe that's the reason the engines are considered for this purpose. That's cool.

Gee I almost forgot, (LBS - loose brain syndrome again) my brother in law owns a small specialty airline near Detroit - air ambulance and such. I think I will pose this to him see if he has a comment.

Thanks for the friendly input.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by MarXVS
Well wadya know ... an urban legend not. It is an awesome engine fer sure.

The only direct experience I have with the light aircraft crowd was a coworker whose plane crashed when the engine failed. It was not a good outcome. So when I hear things that involve potential life threatening issues, safety comes to my mind first. Maybe that's the reason the engines are considered for this purpose. That's cool.
Current small-aircraft engines from Lycoming and such are based on 40-50 year old technology. Subaru engines are basically the same format (flat) and use current technology. Still, converting any automobile engine to be used in an aircraft sounds risky, and it probably is.

Here's one guy's auto engine conversion manifesto:

http://www.geocities.com/plmjohnson/auto_engines.htm

Subaru engines in small aircraft are apparently common enough that there's an aftermarket industry for them:

http://www.rotorcraft.com/ads/nhc.html

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE