How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 02:05 PM
$VX

The SVX: Just a car, or more than just a car?

Maybe this is where I differ from the rest of you. To me, its more than just a car. If I wanted "Just a car" I'd be driving an early 90s civic witha billion miles on it. I think its more than just a car. Its rolling art. Its a personal extension of ones self. Its an investment. It means a LOT to me. Maybe thats why I took that whole truck thing so personally.

- Ca$h
Old 11-08-2002, 02:10 PM
Hater

cars are BAD investments, and SVX's may be one of the worst! i dig my SVX, though. i've always bought cars that were not too common, and ones that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling looking at them sitting in my driveway. they gotta be lookers. the SVX is far from perfect. i wish it was in production a little longer so it could have been developed further. i like to think of the design flaws as "character."

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-08-2002, 02:11 PM
$VX

Heh. Read "Calvin and Hobbes"? Everything 'builds character'.

- Ca$h
Old 11-08-2002, 02:32 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
This question, to me, is rhetorical. Probably, at least half of the number of posts I have here are about the SVX being more than a car.

I was watching a commercial last night. They had people adding to the phrase, "when I'm in my car . . ." If they had asked me, I would have said, "When I'm in my car, I am my car."

Now, here's the kicker. Yes, I think the SVX is MORE, much more than a car. But not just because of the car itself. It's because of the relationships it has helped me build through this network. It's the SVXer in New Jersey who offered me his SVX when mine was broken and I wasn't going to get to make it to the Vermont meet -- and this guy didn't know me from Adam's allfours. It's the SVXer in PA who, after learning there was a part I needed, after the Reading I meet, mailed me the part and didn't ask for a dime. It's the SVXer in WI who let me use his spare TCU for a month to make sure I didn't need a duty solenoid "A", and let me keep it until I could find a used one for a reasonable price. I could go on and on and on . . .

Yes, the SVX is much more than a car. I hurt with every little scrath, ding and divot. But I love it most because it's a condiuit for friendships and a community of people, many of whom would drive hundreds of miles just to help out a fellow SVXer in need. And THAT'S why I take trouble in these forums so personally.

Sorry for the long answer, but the SVX is an emotional thing to me, as well. It's helped me find a second family.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-08-2002, 02:32 PM
FifthElement

Talking

This is a tough call! The SVX is rare in today's world, so I'd say the SVX is more than just a car. I feel special just sitting in it
Old 11-08-2002, 03:55 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I believe anything you put your own sweat and effort into is more than just a..... The SVX is more than a car for sure, just as my last car was. The SVX itself is more than a car hell if it was just a car why is there over a thousand of us that will spend rediculous amounts of money to keep them on the road and running near perfect. Like when my tranny blows I will spend 5 grand and put a 5-speed in there and that may be two times as much money I as I payed for it but it will keep the car where it should be and it will be an improvement.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:46 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
SVX is definately more than a car but it can be replaced. I have in the past. Period. At the end of the day, it's just a well oiled machine (in most cases -- and pun intended).

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:54 PM

I fell for the SVX at a car show here in Toronto in the fall of 1991, as soon as I sat in it I new I had to have one. By May of 1992 I had my beloved 1992 Pearl White SVX, it almost cost me my marriage but I was willing to risk it as I had to have this car. Going on 12 years later I still can't get behind the wheel enough nor can I take my eyes off it sitting in my driveway or at the office. I can honestly say I will never sell this car. Right now both of my son's are begging to have it "when I'm finished with it" can't see me every being finished with it. I even worry about it more than my 18 year old when he takes it, "is that sick or what"? But what can I say, this is one very special car that makes me feel real good when I'm behind the wheel and very proud when ppl see me get out of it. regards dave
Old 11-08-2002, 05:42 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
SVX is definately more than a car but it can be replaced. I have in the past. Period. At the end of the day, it's just a well oiled machine (in most cases -- and pun intended).

Lwin
Some more 'well oiled' than others. <feeling sorry for whomever bought lwins red car>

Mike
Old 11-08-2002, 05:44 PM
Green1995SVX

The SVX *IS* more than just a car.

Mike
Old 11-08-2002, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Some more 'well oiled' than others. <feeling sorry for whomever bought lwins red car>

Mike
You mean the one with the continuously applied undercoating system. It made oil changes a thing of the past!

Was it worse than the leak Jake had Mike?
Old 11-08-2002, 10:57 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

You mean the one with the continuously applied undercoating system. It made oil changes a thing of the past!

Was it worse than the leak Jake had Mike?
Put it this way, on the trip from Ft. Wayne IN to NY and back to Chicago IL, I've used 2 gal. of oil -- all of them dripped out on that 2500 mile trip. I did not need an oilchange.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-08-2002, 11:46 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Aredub is right. FifthElement is right. Heck (dare I say it?), even Ca$h is right.

The SVX was just a car the first time I saw it at the dealership. It's status was elevated on the first test drive and has continued to climb ever since. Yes, I find myself looking out the living room window just to admire it in the driveway. I walk all around the plant at work to get the best view to the parking lot, just to get a little peek at it. I know every little nick and scratch on the outside, and every worn spot in the carpet and seats on the inside, better than I recognise my face in the mirror. Laugh if you will, but I honestly feel blessed by God to have been granted this ride, and for that reason I treat it with the respect that it deserves. (Well, for the most part. - I'm still just a warped human bean, right?)

The family that the car brought with it is more than icing on the cake, too. But it's a separate entity. The car is the car. The family is just as important, but it's quite different. I'd like to think that the car will be there for me forever, with or without the family. By the same token, I'd like to think that the family will be here for me forever, with or without the car. I grown accustomed to your, uhm, misspelling and lousy grammar, and I don't know what I'd do without it/them/whatever. <<fawn>> <<sigh>> <<blush>> <<other word eliciting heart-wrenching emotion but that I can't think of at the moment>>
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 11-09-2002, 12:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
An SVX is MORE than just a car to me. Look, what time it is! I just came out from my garage. I couldn't wait for tomorrow, I had my rear speakers replaced tonite and tested them over and over. I never thought it would be that much work but I didn't care. I enjoyed every minute of it. Then, I cleaned the back windows with a new product I brought from QVC. The next thing I know, I waxed my whole car because I was so amazed of the mirror-like finish of this product. I have never seen anything like it before. It made the color a lot richer. Now my baby has a showroom shine. I just hope nobody has seen me waxing my car at 12 midnight through my garage window. They gonna think I'm weird. I never thought I could be this crazy about a car. But I admit I am, because to me it is not just a car. I am a much happier person because of my SVX.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".

Last edited by vzSvx; 11-09-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
The SVX originally started out as a car. However, because of the owners (us) it has evolved into something more. I cll that something more, "The SVX Experience". People are the driving force behind any endeavor in life.
For me these people are the fellows that started Kinetic Concepts. I'm sorry that they could not make a big a sucess out of it. I'd like to thank the founders of the Yahoo SVX Club. I also applaud Preston & John Shotsky on the Yahoo Club site. These two gentlemen exude class and inteligence.

Finally what can I say about the ubiquitous Aredubjay.
Thanks Randy.

Finally, I offer my heartfelt thanks and gratitude to Chris. Without him we would not have the Network.

The car named SVX was the catalyst, but it is only metal & rubber. The people provide the "horsepower to make the SVX Experience go."

PS: Viv, please send me the name of the QVC car wax. Rosie watches QVC all the time. Unfortunately (or fortunately for me)they never sell jewlery better than her's. You know it's quite expensive having 2 SVXes and a woman whose best friends are named Tiffany and Van Cleef & Arpels. Dare I mention SVX jewlery.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 11-09-2002 at 04:42 AM.