How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-16-2002, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr
wasions-----The video did explain that the fuel that gets mixed goes to a seperate storage where it is sold to a market where it does not matter.

I wonder if this is true or if this is what the oil companies want you to believe??? I guess it would matter where the testing for octane occures. At the pump, or at the refinery.
oops I think I misunderstood your comment. I was speaking of the fuel traveling through the pipline. You know that all three grades and diesel all travel throught the same pipline.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 10-23-2002, 05:23 PM
greg

BAD GAS!

You know there is one of those "foriener" owned store very convient to my home. As I first moved there I thought I am out of gas I think I will stop there instead of pushing. BIG MISTAKE. I would have been better off pushing the car to a real station. I finally understood what terrorism is really about. Nont only did the car spudder and get all together mad at me but it was also sticking its tongue out at me (Check engine light). After adding water stuff and octane boost and some other very expensive crap the baby finally forgave me. NEVER AGAIN. Call me racist but I will never go to another station that there is a forein person behind the counter.

-G
Old 10-23-2002, 08:06 PM

I live near an Ashland refinery (Ashland Oil, Ashland Ky) they supply every gas stations gas, minus one, in a three state area. You would be hard pressed to find an Exxon station in Eastern KY, or Ohio.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 10-23-2002, 09:02 PM
cjoffe

Re: BAD GAS!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX'in
You know there is one of those "foriener" owned store very convient to my home. As I first moved there I thought I am out of gas I think I will stop there instead of pushing. BIG MISTAKE. I would have been better off pushing the car to a real station. I finally understood what terrorism is really about. Nont only did the car spudder and get all together mad at me but it was also sticking its tongue out at me (Check engine light). After adding water stuff and octane boost and some other very expensive crap the baby finally forgave me. NEVER AGAIN. Call me racist but I will never go to another station that there is a forein person behind the counter.

-G
Since the "foreigner" didn't actually fill the tanks at his own station, he may have gotten ripped off for a whole lot more than you did... and possibly just because he was a "foreigner".

CJ
Old 10-24-2002, 06:47 AM

Re: BAD GAS!

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX'in

-G
Other than Native Americans, all of us have a bit of "foreigner" in us. I actually find most "foreigners" are quite friendly, hard working and grateful to be here. I almost always purchase gas from a "foreigner", he always says "hello" and "thank you", and I have never had any problems with his gas. I once bought gas from a local station owned by a town "good ol' boy" and my van started to run like crap. I pulled the fuel filter and the stuff that came out looked like coffe.

I am also a "foreigner" and a naturalized US citizen, and very proud of having made that choice.

Have a nice day,

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Hitchhikin'

Re: Re: BAD GAS!

Quote:
Originally posted by mattski

Other than Native Americans, all of us have a bit of "foreigner" in us. I actually find most "foreigners" are quite friendly, hard working and grateful to be here. I almost always purchase gas from a "foreigner", he always says "hello" and "thank you", and I have never had any problems with his gas. I once bought gas from a local station owned by a town "good ol' boy" and my van started to run like crap. I pulled the fuel filter and the stuff that came out looked like coffe.

I am also a "foreigner" and a naturalized US citizen, and very proud of having made that choice.

Have a nice day,

Matt
Ditto. How exactly did you know it was owned by a "foreigner" anyways? I never thought that the guy behind the counter was the owner of the whole place, and that's the only person I see around most gas stations. In that case, I guess most gas stations around here are owned by middle easterns.

Hmm... maybe that would be the truly patriotic thing to do... not to buy gas from those goddamn "foreigners", especially those arabian muslim bastards. Even better, we should just minimize our use of gasoline altogether, since we get most of our gas from the Middle East, which of course everyone knows is completely Muslim, which in turn means that everyone there is an evil terrorist. Thus, by that logic, by filling up less and using more fuel efficient cars, we will be striking a blow against terrorism and all those evil Muslims! *rolls eyes*

Of course, that logic followed the same concept used in anti-drug ads, where innocent-looking, middle-class teens admit the deadly consequences of their drug use by saying "I helped blow up a building", "I helped kill American citizens", and the like. But, that's a whole other story, and I don't feel like geting into that.

It's really funny, me and a very strong Christian friend of mine were talking about the sniper attacks today. We were talking about how the two suspects were arrested, and she said "Yeah, I heard that they were black", insinuating that only blacks would stoop so low as to commit such a horrible deed (i could tell by the tone of condescendence she used when she said it). Then she asked "what religion were they", and I told her that one of them had converted to Islam a year or two ago. She just groaned and said "That figures. No wonder." Seems that while Christians don't believe in killing others, or coveting other people's wives, they obviously don't have a problem with stereotyping and racism, not to mention an implicit arrogance and condescendence towards non-Christians. This girl lacks the ability to open her mind to any other opinions and outlooks on life, and I wouldn't be surprised if she felt justified in personally killing gays, since they go against her concept of what the Word of God means. *sigh*
Old 10-26-2002, 02:51 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: Re: Re: BAD GAS!

Quote:
Originally posted by Red SVX 92

It's really funny, me and a very strong Christian friend of mine were talking about the sniper attacks today. We were talking about how the two suspects were arrested, and she said "Yeah, I heard that they were black", insinuating that only blacks would stoop so low as to commit such a horrible deed (i could tell by the tone of condescendence she used when she said it). Then she asked "what religion were they", and I told her that one of them had converted to Islam a year or two ago. She just groaned and said "That figures. No wonder." Seems that while Christians don't believe in killing others, or coveting other people's wives, they obviously don't have a problem with stereotyping and racism, not to mention an implicit arrogance and condescendence towards non-Christians. This girl lacks the ability to open her mind to any other opinions and outlooks on life, and I wouldn't be surprised if she felt justified in personally killing gays, since they go against her concept of what the Word of God means. *sigh*
I'm thinking that you're probably already embarrassed by what you did here, but for the benefit of others who might just read the post and go on . . .

Mr. Red SVX 92 just made a very common compositional error. After pointing out the danger of overgeneralization, and the virtue and nobility of tolerance towards lifestyles/races/religions/and points of view not our own, he proceeds to state categorically that this should NOT extend to one particular group - Christians. (See quote above, beginning with, "Seems that while . . .".) It looks like he's put them into his nice little box and snugged the lid down tight.

As one who finds himself suddenly 'in' the box, I hope you don't mind if I add a couple of thoughts of my own. (Hey, you started it.)

First, as you go through life, you won't find very many card-carrying Christians. By that I mean that anyone who finds himself/herself remotely attracted to, or gives mental assent to Christendom, Christianity, Christians, etc. can call himself a Christian. One doesn't necessarily have to BE a Christian to call oneself, or be called, a Christian. (Constantine, after his 'conversion', commanded that all the members of his army become followers of Christ, under penalty of death. Seems he didn't quite 'get it'.) I know a great many people who, because of the fact that they were raised in a Christian environment or gravitate to Christian teachings, call themselves Christians while knowing very little about the actual teachings of Christ. Ask if they know where they're headed when they die. If they say, "Only God knows for sure", they probably haven't done the research.

Second, having said the above, I don't mean to imply that your friend (and I'm pleased that you at least continue to call her your friend) is not a committed Christian. See, we were raised in the same world as you. Before we were 'saved', we lived our lives outside of the knowledge of Christ, many of us being raised among folks with pretty radical biases. For many, being 'saved' is truly a life-altering event. They really do become totally different people - overnight. It's those people who scare others into thinking that conversion is some kind of mind-warp, brainwashing thing. For others, this conversion is more of an on-going process of correcting behavior as it comes to their attention. If you had pointed out the inconsistencies in your friends' attitudes (and I hope you did), she might have been convicted of her bias and begun a process of change. Though she might not have said so at the time, there's a chance she would later come to you and thank you for your candor.

Thirdly, as Christians, we're still trapped in this 'Mortal Coil', being subject to saying or doing things which are totally out of character for 'righteous' people. It's a curse. (It really is.) Like anyone else, we speak up at the wrong time, say the wrong thing - or the right thing in the wrong way, and basically mess things up something awful. If we were perfect, we wouldn't need Christ.

In short - please don't use Christians as any kind of 'Holy example of perfection of character'. You'll be sorely disappointed. Use Christ.

By the way, a lot of people, even true Christians, think they know all about Christ but haven't really bothered to find out. I did. (Or rather, I still am.) It was/is well worth it. You've probably got a Bible around somewhere. Give it a shot. What have you got to lose?
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-26-2002, 06:46 AM
cjoffe

I read it differently. I read it as highlighting the danger and absurdity of separating out others to be looked down on as "Them". This is significantly enhanced if you've found an "Us" to belong to. We should all ALWAYS remember that we're the same stuff... only our thoughts and actions differ.

Putting words in his mouth, I don't think he was using the rhetorical device of Christians as 'Holy example of perfection of character'. I think he was making reference to something I see on a daily basis, which is Christians who THINK they're a 'Holy example of perfection of character' just because they call themselves Christians. This gives some of them license to look down on anyone else who doesn't live up to the standard that they claim to. You can't generalize this to all of them, of course, but I do see it on a daily basis.

Most "Christians" (note emphasis) I've met in the south don't seek to emulate Christ, so much as use him as a pedestal from which to look down on others. Most of the haven't read the book, they just seek out someone who will tell them what to think and confirm their status as a member of the right group.

I think we're now into the "Argument that Can't/Shouldn't be Won" and may want to consider whether to drag this topic back on topic.

"Discrimination" is BAD. We must identify, segregate, and exterminate all bigots... who wants to go first?

CJ
Old 10-26-2002, 07:24 PM
greg

Sorry

I just want to say that I am sorry for my before post and let everyone know that I am not in anyway racist. Although I did say that I was more specifically noting that my car was the one that was trully wronged. As for me I always shop in the store I above mentioned. I buy milk, bread, colas, chips, and all my other emergency conveint store supplies from there. I guess i also need to mention that the gentle men that are definatly forein do own the store, not only own it but there are only two men that are there 24 hours every day. No exceptions. I guess another point I should make is that being that and let me re-phrase a local own store seems to have a lower quality of gasoline. Oh yes and the point made that they did not fill the tank was a good one but they did purchase the fuel that went into the tank, first. Second there are methods of testing and keeping up with the amount of water that is in the tanks which they are not doing. And last, the owners know if the price of gasoline is cheap and also should know why. I guess the same could apply to the local redneck owned store too but in my situation there are three stores apparently owned by the same family and all of the store seem to have the same problem with the gas.
I meant for my post to be more humerous and I would like to appologize to everone for my apparent bad taste...I am sorry.
I was justified in my complaint and knowing the owners I do still hold them responsible. And yes I guess it does not matter what color, size, shape, or nationality the gas was still bad and that had a direct reflection on the people that run and own the store.

Sorry,
-G
Old 10-26-2002, 10:43 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by cjoffe
Putting words in his mouth, I don't think he was using the rhetorical device of Christians as 'Holy example of perfection of character'. I think he was making reference to something I see on a daily basis, which is Christians who THINK they're a 'Holy example of perfection of character' just because they call themselves Christians. This gives some of them license to look down on anyone else who doesn't live up to the standard that they claim to. You can't generalize this to all of them, of course, but I do see it on a daily basis.

"Discrimination" is BAD. We must identify, segregate, and exterminate all bigots... who wants to go first?

CJ
Point taken. But in respose, I'd like to add that many of us, Christians included, see something in others that's quite different than intended.

For example: Before our eldest daughter was married, we arranged to meet his parents, and found what we thought were somewhat kindred spirits. We really liked them. They were bright, clean, not exactly what we expected by his description of his upbringing. (His real father had been a faux biker/genuine drunk - by his own admission, and had nothing of worth to give to his son's lives. He recently died in his early forties of liver failure. Our son-in-laws brother is on a fast track to the same end.) Being pleasantly surprised by meeting people of character and real 'worth', we were later amazed to find that his (our son-in-law's) mother felt that we hated them and felt superior to them. We never even hinted at anything like that. He (son-in-law again) explained that his parents were put off because we had stability, that is: a loving relationship, a nice home, long-term employment, things that they had never really had, and that we were church-goers, which pretty much automatically meant that we thought we were above everyone we met.

I'd like to tell them that this 'stability' is something that came pretty much by accident. We're not educated, or in any way better than anyone else. The problem is; when I try to say anything, they just take it totally wrong.

This attitude is fairly prevalent in our society, and not the least bit preventable. Misunderstandings are a part of life. That's about it.

Some of my friends even own Neons.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 10-27-2002, 01:23 AM
FifthElement

Judge people based on their character and judge their character based on their actions, not their appearance.

If a dude sells you bad gas, then you have every right to dislike him.

If a dude shoots a bunch of people, then you have every right to dislike him.

What I'd like to gripe about are those 'foreigners' who work in a job where they have to deal with the English speaking public daily, yet hardly know a lick of English, or their accent is so heavy that I can't figure out what they are saying. But I suppose I would much prefer to buy my chinese food from an actual chinese, so you gotta take the good with the bad.

I'm happy they can come to the States in pursuit of a better life, as long as they're honest. If they're good people, they're welcome, no matter what their origin.