Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

View Poll Results: How much horsepower can an aftermarket intake make?
Less than the stock hp setup 13 24.53%
1 - 5hp 20 37.74%
5 - 10hp 9 16.98%
10hp + 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Aftermarket Intake Horsepower Guess Poll

I just wanted to get a head count on opinions on how much horsepower a fully custom made intake could yield on an SVX with the exhaust already done. When I say exhaust, I mean with a custom made exhaust from the exhaust port back. Pick the exhaust configuration that you think is perfect for the SVX. Once this is installed, how much hp do you think a custom (Meaning that all the piping before the throttle body has been modified) can make. It does not matter what the intake setup is (for those that don't think it matters), just assume with the best made intake possible (besides the stock one).

1) Less than the stock intake,

2) 1 - 5hp,

3) 5 - 10hp,

4) 10hp +
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 06-29-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I just wanted to get a head count on opinions on how much horsepower a fully custom made intake could yield on an SVX with the exhaust already done.
fixed. <added content for short-ass reply>

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
You and your intakes

Is this poll for the intake AND exhaust hp gains compared to stock, or is it the intake gains after custom exhaust. If its the first, ill say 5-10, if it's the second...1-5. Numbers id put my money on are 10 and 2

now...remembeing that chike's car has had the cams, and presumebly fuel pump, injectors, and an ecu chip done...an intake and exhaust could possibly yeild more on his engine that a stock one, due to the increased time the valves are open, ect. But once again, I dont think the intake and exhaust are overly restrictive

When you say no paricular exhaust configuration, please specify weather the car will be street legal or not...Seems to me straight pipes with MABEY a muffler would be "the best", but it'd probly have a hard time passing inspection
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
You and your intakes

Is this poll for the intake AND exhaust hp gains compared to stock, or is it the intake gains after custom exhaust.
After custom exhaust....any exhaust...of your choice that you think is best fitted for the SVX.

And thanks for your responses so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
When you say no paricular exhaust configuration, please specify weather the car will be street legal or not
Street legal!!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Its a Classic!

i think you will loose power with any intake setup other than maybe a true ram air setup if you were to create it.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
How can an unrestricted straight piped intake make you LOSE power over a curvy thin plastic box contraption?
Old 06-29-2007, 04:09 PM

Registered SVX
Unless your running a feed from outside of the engine bay your going to lose power due to high inlet temp,
I put an HKS induction kit on my type r impreza and it lost power and torque & much higher inlet temp on the before and after rolling road sessions.

With the boxer engine any filter/induction is going to sit above the manifolds and as we all know hot air rises and the svx has no ventilation or cold air feed other than the small front grill.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:30 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren
With the boxer engine any filter/induction is going to sit above the manifolds and as we all know hot air rises and the svx has no ventilation or cold air feed other than the small front grill.
...............what? Just buy the stage 2 or 3 or whatever intake from dayle's warehouse page, they go into the bumper.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
...............what? Just buy the stage 2 or 3 or whatever intake from dayle's warehouse page, they go into the bumper.
i take it you have an aftermarket intake and want to justify why you bought it. The svx isnt the only car that responds best to the stock airbox. Go over the the 350z forums and you will find the same thing.
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I brought some ham.

............what? You were saying something about air being fed from under the hood, above the manifolds or something. I was just saying the air is fed from under the bumper.. and I don't need to justify anything, I just wanted some noise. My svx, nor anyone's svx, will ever be fast so I'm not going to even try.

Can you justify your ubercoolsuperexpensive magnaflow exhaust mod? I bet you're beating all the corvettes in the world now. And by corvettes I mean 4 cylinder accords.

Last edited by Ricochet; 06-30-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
After exhaust work, I say an intake will yeild no gains, unless somehow your intake forces a bit more air in.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Its a Classic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
............what? You were saying something about air being fed from under the hood, above the manifolds or something. I was just saying the air is fed from under the bumper.. and I don't need to justify anything, I just wanted some noise. My svx, nor anyone's svx, will ever be fast so I'm not going to even try.

Can you justify your ubercoolsuperexpensive magnaflow exhaust mod? I bet you're beating all the corvettes in the world now. And by corvettes I mean 4 cylinder accords.
I NEVER said anything about air being fed from under the hood or anything about manifolds. I was just stating what i have seen as fact and that no intake will show gains over the stock intake unless its some sort or ram air (which i have not seen dyno runs of so i cant comment on the power increase or decrease) and dayles kit does not feed from under the bumper it feeds from the fender just like the stock intake.

yes i can justify my magnaflow because my stock muffler had a hole in it and it was cheaper to go aftermarket and it will be justified even more when i put on a 75 shot. And dont you think you are kinda jumping the gun and insulting many of the people in the svx community that have made 5spd/6spd, superchargers, cams, forged internals possible by saying no ones svx will never be fast. Maybe you should just stick to what you know and say "My svx will never be fast."
Old 06-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Registered SVX
I dont want to open a whole can of worms but basically induction kits/filters are an aftermarket item that is not of much value per ££ spent on most cars, more so subaru because they actually do a good job on R&R from the factory!

Its not all about the amount of air you can force into an engine when you are looing at anything producing over 150 BHP air temp is a major factor, hense why virtually every Turbo vehicle runs and intercooler, the cooler the air the denser is it there forfore more O2, my Impreza runs a spray onto the intercooler to keep temp down and my Evo had water injection to do both.

All the (mushroom) filters are doing is taking large particles from the air that is HOT from the engine bay, the factory air box will be fed from outside of the engine bay and as it act like a storage unit will actually cool the air by 1 to 2 degrees.

The only way and after market set up will work is if as mentioned if it can produce either a ram air effect ( forced induction from air speed) or by supplying the engine with cool air, IE from out side of the HOT engine bay.

Have a look at the induction on any evo or high performance motorsport homologated road car and you will see an inlet system from outside of the engine bay and not the inner wheel arch in most cases.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I brought some ham.

They probably add maybe 1-2hp but that's why I said I got one just for the neato sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
I NEVER said anything about air being fed from under the hood or anything about manifolds. I was just stating what i have seen as fact and that no intake will show gains over the stock intake unless its some sort or ram air (which i have not seen dyno runs of so i cant comment on the power increase or decrease) and dayles kit does not feed from under the bumper it feeds from the fender just like the stock intake.

yes i can justify my magnaflow because my stock muffler had a hole in it and it was cheaper to go aftermarket and it will be justified even more when i put on a 75 shot. And dont you think you are kinda jumping the gun and insulting many of the people in the svx community that have made 5spd/6spd, superchargers, cams, forged internals possible by saying no ones svx will never be fast. Maybe you should just stick to what you know and say "My svx will never be fast."
Show me an svx that runs 10's and I'll edit my post
Old 06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
I tend to agree with Ricochet on this one, I got an air intake for two reasons, one being the look it adds under the hood, and also the life span and quality of the filter. On the other hand, if you remove the under carriage (plastic cover sealing the right fender compartment) one can argue that the air temperature is going to decrease and the flow increase, thus perhaps being better than the stock air box.

As it has been stated over and over on this network, our cars are designed for luxurious/style aspect rather than speed. And then yet again, there are a few members on here that are pushing the limits of these cars and redefining their performance capabilities (talking about Toms, dynomatt, and a few others (sorry I fail to remember nicknames as easily as names)).

My two cents on this subject,
-Sov13t.