Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-16-2002, 04:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Wink This should stir things up...

An idle mind is a dangerous thing... Just thinking about an 'L', 5spd gutted of its front diff, transfer welded up, with a 4.11 rear diff, maybe even lsd.... whaddya think? The front end would be lighter w/o axles and diff (or automatic, for that matter.) Should bring weight closer to center...

Beav
Old 01-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Brian Steel

Re: This should stir things up...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
An idle mind is a dangerous thing... Just thinking about an 'L', 5spd gutted of its front diff, transfer welded up, with a 4.11 rear diff, maybe even lsd.... whaddya think? The front end would be lighter w/o axles and diff (or automatic, for that matter.) Should bring weight closer to center...

Beav
Sounds like a Nissan, or maybe a Mazda. How about fixing the windows so it looks like a Mitsubishi or a Saturn?
Old 01-16-2002, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

I remember reading about a Mits 3000 GT VR-4 where the owner not only changed his car as Beav stated above, but rotated his engine (transverse to longitudinal) then had to put in a different transmission. Very cool, but an amazing amount of work. He got tired of replacing transmissions, halfshafts, and front diffs.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: This should stir things up...

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Beav
I've considered that very thing; it'd make a fun car, but would suck in the snow (a very ANTI-Subaru like quality)

As I have already made mine a 5-speed, it would just take some tranny work, and removing some parts, and wal-la a car that'd hang the rear end out in the corners, like my old Firebirds did
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-16-2002, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Too late

A member here did a RWD conversion. Can't remember the name now, but it can be done. Involved some welding I believe

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 01-17-2002, 09:30 AM
I look like Gordon

Huck-

What do you have planned for the 95 Impreza "project car" you have listed in your profile? I have a 95 Impreza L fwd. I am currently working on the suspension, and then maybe swapping in a JDM EJ20T. Just curious.

-Mike
Old 01-17-2002, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Huck-

What do you have planned for the 95 Impreza "project car" you have listed in your profile? I have a 95 Impreza L fwd. I am currently working on the suspension, and then maybe swapping in a JDM EJ20T. Just curious.

-Mike
I'm planning on making a mock RS out of it, mine is an "L FWD" also, but at least it is a 5-speed, I think I'll paint it orange like the B-4 Legacy pic that was floating around here a while back (at least it'll LOOK fast )

I'll probally leave the 1.8 stock as I'll use it as a daily driver, and I like the gas milage , maybe a K/N Filter, but thats probably all.

I'm hoping to have less than $1500 in it when it's done.

Need to save my money for SVX stuff...he...he...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 01-17-2002, 04:12 PM
I look like Gordon

Where did you get the bumper covers and side skirts from? I bought a set of brand new WRX wheels off of a friend of mine and they look great on the car, but now it appears to sit really high off the ground, at least in the front. I kind of like the mock RS idea, come to think of it.

If you have a good contact for a second set of bumpers covers and skirts (its a four door), I'd be interested.

Mine is also a five speed, and my normal daily driver. The 1.8 is pretty frugal, and no matter how I drive it, I always seem to get right around 32 mpg. Even with the aircon running. It sure could use a little more pop though. I have heard of people bolting on a turbo off an old XT, very low pressure (like 5 psi I think). Any thoughts on this? Seems like it would be pretty easy, cheap, and relatively safe. Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to picking your brain on this subject in the future.

-Mike
Old 01-17-2002, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Where did you get the bumper covers and side skirts from? I bought a set of brand new WRX wheels off of a friend of mine and they look great on the car, but now it appears to sit really high off the ground, at least in the front. I kind of like the mock RS idea, come to think of it.

If you have a good contact for a second set of bumpers covers and skirts (its a four door), I'd be interested.

Mine is also a five speed, and my normal daily driver. The 1.8 is pretty frugal, and no matter how I drive it, I always seem to get right around 32 mpg. Even with the aircon running. It sure could use a little more pop though. I have heard of people bolting on a turbo off an old XT, very low pressure (like 5 psi I think). Any thoughts on this? Seems like it would be pretty easy, cheap, and relatively safe. Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to picking your brain on this subject in the future.

-Mike
I haven't gotten the bumper yet, and will probably use a stock Impreza one with the Factory Driving lights, to keep cost down, but subaruparts.com has the version V bumper complete with inner bumper and driving lights for about $500 (I'm still considering this.)

I've got the hood scoops off an Outback Sport, so I have to mount them to the hood.
The side skirts I hadn't even thought about, but subaruparts.com has a rear skirt for $100, not to bad.

Using a turbo off an old Subie probably would work really well, but add headaches to maintenance.
I might change my mind after I start driving it, but for 32 MPG I can probably live with it being a little slow (I do have the SVX’s for when I’m in a hurry)

What color is your's?
Mine is a light Green (Hence painting it orange).

Was going to go pick up some parts for it this Sat. but now they're calling for snow, and my buddy's truck is 2WD, so it might be awile before I get them. , and probally spring before I get it done.

Keep me posted on your ,ods, as I might have to try some on mine.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed