SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Question

I see that 'cloth' is the term used for the '94 and up L &LS models. Is that really cloth, the Ecsain (sp?) faux suede of the '92 & '93 models or some sort of velour? If the latter sre there any pics around here to give me an idea of what it looks like before I decide to drive xxxx miles to look at a car?

Beav
Old 01-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I see that 'cloth' is the term used for the '94 and up L &LS models. Is that really cloth, the Ecsain (sp?) faux suede of the '92 & '93 models or some sort of velour? If the latter sre there any pics around here to give me an idea of what it looks like before I decide to drive xxxx miles to look at a car?

Beav
Beav, it's actually *cloth* not Ecsain. It's kind of a woven looking cloth. I'll see if I can't locate some pics for you.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Not as old as Randy

Tanx, that might help. BTW, I forget what thread it was on but did Dart say that he actually went to A*** Emp*** (now you've got me doing it *s*) to look at the black '92? I'd rather not have to travel so far if I don't have to, available free time being the factor.

Beav
Old 01-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

some pics

Hey Beav,

Here's some pics from my 95 L model. It has the grey cloth seats. The seats are vinyl with cloth inserts. The pictures really don't do justice to how ugly the fabric of the cloth is. There are flecks of blue and red in there. Ugh. I am looking for grey leather seats from a 94 or 95 model. I have already replaced the standard rubber steering wheel, gear shift and parking brake with leather versions. Also note that the inserts on the door and above the glove box are also vinyl instead of the fake suede I think the higher trim models have.

The only good news is that the L versions don't have fake wood, but have nice matching grey plastic covers. At least that's my opinion.

Here's the fron seats:
http://community.webshots.com/storag...Dzeqrzi_ph.jpg

Here's the rear seats:
http://community.webshots.com/storag...ZVKoUeW_ph.jpg

Cheers,
Matt
Old 01-10-2002, 04:51 PM
Not as old as Randy

Well I guess if I go that direction the first upgrade will come from here (or someplace similar) : http://www.leatherseats.com/

Thanx for the pics.

Randy: Ooops, I didn't mean to step on any toes if you were still interested in that car. Let me know.

Beav
Old 01-11-2002, 09:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Well I guess if I go that direction the first upgrade will come from here (or someplace similar) : http://www.leatherseats.com/

Thanx for the pics.

Randy: Ooops, I didn't mean to step on any toes if you were still interested in that car. Let me know.

Beav
I was considering driving up to "Cling Peaches" to check it out, but, if you're interested, I'll acquiesce. It's a three hour drive for me, so, I'm also having a bit of a time crunch to be able to check it out. Besides, I already have one -- I was considering making it my second. So, if you're interested, check it out. For the price they're asking, it'll probably need a little work and you'd be a much better candidate for a car that may need work.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-12-2002, 10:55 AM
dart

Quote:
Tanx, that might help. BTW, I forget what thread it was on but did Dart say that he actually went to A*** Emp*** (now you've got me doing it *s*) to look at the black '92? I'd rather not have to travel so far if I don't have to, available free time being the factor.

Beav
Beav, I went up to the A E to look at a DSM about a year ago. I have not been up to see the black '92. Its about an hour's drive from Luavull. Up in Brown county IN. To get to Nashville IN you have to drive thru a little burg called Gnawbone. They dropped the price a grand so if you could get it for $3995-$4500 may be worth looking at. I won't issue my past warning about this lot because from reading some of your posts I'm sure if anybody would get a fair shake out of those guys it will probably be you.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by dart
To get to Nashville IN you have to drive thru a little burg called Gnawbone.
Well, as long as you don't have to drive through Big Bone Lick.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
<Well, as long as you don't have to drive through Big Bone Lick>

West Virginia is also full of interesting place names....like "Big Ugly". Banner in a newspaper:

"Local man marries Big Ugly woman"

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 01-12-2002, 05:52 PM
Not as old as Randy

I was in and out in less than two minutes. Not that the car was that horrible, but I got turned off as soon as I saw the car. Un-washed, un-waxed, etc., broken lug on LF all caught my eye on the 15 foot walk from my car. The car's been listed for over a month and the inside is still dirty. The new tires were a set of Road Buggers (I didn't really expect much though) and the four or five full length key scratches on the RF fender were impressive. Every single lens on the car was holding water/condensation and a large patch of paint was missing from the left corner of the rear bumper, where it had obviously had taken a shot. I walked around the car twice and by that time the proprietor (giving all the respect that I can muster when I use that term) walked directly past me and to another guy standing near a Geo. It would have least been nice of him to acknowledge my existence. I didn't see the need to antagonize myself any further so I packed it in and headed back.

I also went to Lexington and looked at another, a claret '92. Recent female graduate owned, about ten or twelve good-sized dings on the right side and stress cracked paint on both ends of the rear bumper. ATF a bit stinky, engine seals leaking, front-end rattling on bumps. The leather on the seats is beginning to crack pretty bad, replacement would be inevitable, for my liking anyway. Somewhere along the way someone has placed a double pinstripe on each side that now looks like splllttt. Oh well...

Does it sound as though I'm expecting too much for the money? I think $5-$6k should be a reasonable amount for a '92 or '93 in decent shape. I've been driving new cars for the past 15-16 years and may have lost contact with the reality of how much one should expect for that kind of money. What do you think?

Beav
Old 01-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Does it sound as though I'm expecting too much for the money? I think $5-$6k should be a reasonable amount for a '92 or '93 in decent shape. I've been driving new cars for the past 15-16 years and may have lost contact with the reality of how much one should expect for that kind of money. What do you think?

Beav [/B][/QUOTE]

Dunno, Beav, I guess it depends on what part of the country, how desperate the owner, phase of the moon, etc. I paid 6.5k almost a year ago for a respectable looking '92 with 76K. A few dings & scratches, & needed rear brakes/rotors to pass inspection, but all else worked & still does. I haven't bought a car from a dealer since 1972. As I've said here before, an inspection of the driver is as helpful as an inspection of the car, & I'd rather bargain with an owner than a clueless sleazebag on a lot. Prior to the purchase I just said 7K is my limit, & then went shopping.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:57 PM
sith

I think your price range sounds pretty reasonable Beav. My 92 with 52k miles was around there, and that seems to be what the KBB estimates. Autotrader shows quite a few in that range. There are some sellers who think that because its a great car, it should really have a higher resale value (IE, the 94 on autotrader with 56k miles, asking $17,950), but I think you should be able to find a nice one within your range.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:19 PM
deadeye95

Don't buy yet.....

If I win the lottery, I am going to give my SVX away rather than sell it to some used car loser in trade for my Ferrari. Remember that before you buy............
Old 01-12-2002, 10:25 PM
Not as old as Randy

I appreciate the thought but hopefully you'll understand if you catch me not holding my breath...

Beav
Old 01-13-2002, 01:16 AM

Registered SVX
Beav, the "in and out in two minutes," was that the "Cling Peaches" place? The black one? If so, I'd have been highly irked to have driven three hours to see it.

5-6K is very much in line for a good 92/93. Of course, I grossly overpaid for mine (8,990) in '99 with 109K and a (unbeknownced to me) Legacy tranny. But, I didn't have this great group of people to bounce things off of.
Subaru Ambassador