Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-03-2002, 02:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
'Look, but don't drive...'

Well, after driving the Justy 1,200 miles home and now to work for a few days, it looks increasingly more like this little car will get me through the winter without major problems. The GL did not prove to be the permanent solution that the Justy may provide.

Which means that the 21st of December, the last time I drove my SVX, was hopefully the last time it had to do commuting duty.

Now, when I go out to warm up the Justy, I lift open my garage door and walk around the SVX slowly. My gloves leave prints and lines in the dust it gathers while sleeping. A couple days ago I had to get the parking pass out of the SVX, so I stole a chance to sit in my seat.

I miss driving it. I want to so badly, but I see the thick coating of salt on the roads and I know some of it will find its way onto the car.

The landlord gave me permission to move the SVX to his empty garage spot. So this weekend I'll get some tire cradles and fuel stabilizer and park the car for its hibernation. That total of 50ft or so will be the farthest I'll drive the car until probably April or May. I'll go out and run it once a week or so for a few minutes - and I know I'll spend all week looking forward to feeling that car come alive again.

At least I can tolerate - even enjoy - driving the Justy daily. But I know that I will always long to make 120mph feel like 60 again.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Smile Isn't it great

I am with you Nick. I agree with you on leaving the SVX in the garage for the winter.These beautiful cars are made to be driven,but I just can't stand to see mine with those snow and ice stalactites hanging from the wheel wells. So as long as I can afford to get a winter beater, I will.

Glad you like your Justy, I had a 4WD one as a beater last winter. 145,000 miles when I sold it. It was a fun little car to drive.
Mine was in pretty bad shape,but man did it ever go in the snow.

This year I found a cherry Loyale SW. I think this one is a keeper for awhile.

I still drive the SVX once in a while, until the first snow, then that will probably be it for the winter. I will miss driving it but not trying to keep it clean.

I seem to have a problem with cleanliness.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:05 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Nick, that is one of the sadest stories I've ever heard.

Of course, that, to me would be like putting Angilina Jolie in a glass case, just to have to walk by her to get to Joan Cusak. It would be very difficult to give Angilina up for my nightly "deed" in favor of Joanie. (Notice I used "nightly" -- remember this is "fantacy"). To each his own, I reckon. Of course, I don't have to deal with as much salt as you do. BTW, how are the rust bubbles on your wheel well?

Hey, Mike. Can you say "obsessive/compulsive?" I knew you could.

At any rate, I can just see myself as one of those guys who only drove my wonderful car on the weekends -- then, on about the third freakin' weekend -- WHAM! A damned Excursion runs a red light and totals the sucker. And there, I've wasted three weeks of being able to drive my dear car before its demise.

Nope. I'm a driver -- not a looker.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-04-2002, 04:16 AM
One teal and One yellow

Talking life isn't long, just drive it.

poor guys, you can l@@k but can't drive such a wonderful machine. i understand that's your love to the car but you've my many sympathies.

my SVX now is dirty as ****. it still has its own beauty i enjoyed having fun on the snow. since x'mas, the new year's eve, have been driving the ~X daily till today. frankly, i still have other 3 good beaters, they're pretty nice but may not be as nice as the ~X. i thought 3 of 'em will be my beaters and the SVX is a keeper. but wrong, i just can't resist to drive my SVX out especially when it's wet and snow. although i don't like auto and like the stick shift in the other sport car more, i still drive the ~X out.

just my 2 cents don't worry, i waxed the SVX before the winter, it'd be fine. i'll give it a good wash after the winter or when the weather is warmer. maybe i shld let the ~X rest for a couple days, keep the mileage low, no, no, not reach 58k yet and drive the rest.(my love is coming?? will see tomorrow what key to take) i figure i need to use the portable battery to jump start one of the babies. no longer driving y not sell 'em but...

Just can't resist to drive it.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 01-04-2002, 04:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Randy,

Who's Joan Cusak?

Larry III
I've led such a sheltered life.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:24 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Nick, that is one of the sadest stories I've ever heard.

Of course, that, to me would be like putting Angilina Jolie in a glass case, just to have to walk by her to get to Joan Cusak. It would be very difficult to give Angilina up for my nightly "deed" in favor of Joanie. (Notice I used "nightly" -- remember this is "fantacy"). To each his own, I reckon. Of course, I don't have to deal with as much salt as you do. BTW, how are the rust bubbles on your wheel well?

Hey, Mike. Can you say "obsessive/compulsive?" I knew you could.

At any rate, I can just see myself as one of those guys who only drove my wonderful car on the weekends -- then, on about the third freakin' weekend -- WHAM! A damned Excursion runs a red light and totals the sucker. And there, I've wasted three weeks of being able to drive my dear car before its demise.

Nope. I'm a driver -- not a looker.
I can relate, Randy. But here's how I look at it. I have a limited number of miles left on the car before it is no longer driveable. At some point, it will cease to be economical or even feasible to drive my SVX. So I want to make sure I can have the experience of driving it well into the future. I can't control whether or not a garbage truck driver runs a red light and totals my car. But what I can control is how much salt gets on my car, only to rot the suspension and brake components, chassis, engine, etc.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-04-2002, 07:44 AM
Lowered SVX

i can understand the salt concern.

we almost never get snow here so winter driving for me is not too much different than any other time of the year as far as road conditions go. lucky for me i get to drive my SVX all year round. woke up this morning with a sheet of ice on the windshield!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-04-2002, 08:32 AM

Registered SVX
Re: i can understand the salt concern.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
we almost never get snow here so winter driving for me is not too much different than any other time of the year as far as road conditions go. lucky for me i get to drive my SVX all year round. woke up this morning with a sheet of ice on the windshield!
It's not just the salt, but the overall condition of the roads. I have never seen anything like it. The potholes and such have beaten the crap out of my car for a little over a year - and I'm simply not going to allow that to happen on a daily basis any more.

And let's not even get into the subject of MI drivers, whose ineptitude is topped only by drivers in FL.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-04-2002, 09:22 AM

Registered SVX
Nick, at the risk of alienating another whole group of people......
Oh what the h*ll.

New Yorkers and Philadelphians only agree on one thing:

People from New Jersey should NEVER be allowed to drive in either NYC or Phila.

How's that for political correctness !!!
The truth will out.

Larry III
Old 01-04-2002, 10:17 AM
sk8ing19

Nick

Sorry to hear you have to park her, but I can relate. The salt in Mich is hell to cars. My parents had this old suby they bought out there (Albion) and only drove it there for about 4 years before we moved to Colo, and in that short time the salt did its damage. By the time I got it when I turned 16 she was full of rust spots.

It nice to not have to deal with that out here. Anyways hope you get to drive again soon.

Later
Chris
Old 01-04-2002, 10:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
Driver as well, though I can't help but LOOK!

I only have two spots in my garage. One for each Suby. As much as I hate to beat up my car in the winter I love driving it. Hell I can get it repainted in a few years. I'm putting the bra on (yuck) this weekend. The oil undercoating definitely goes in/on next year.

Driving the SVX is like chocolate. You've got to eat it to enjoy it. It will be gone someday. So will I. And that's the key. I prefer to spend each and everyday driving my baby.

There's one exception. If the snow on the road get's over 6 inches deep I'll take the Forester. Either way I have a BLAST!

Cube 'err Mr. Pockets, I'm glad you can find enjoyment in driving the Justy and that you have a place to keep your SVX out of the elements. But, for me the SVX is the only way to commute.

It truly is the best all around car, for the price, for ME on the planet. But that's just preaching to the ....
Old 01-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
On the subject of rust...

As a mechanic I've always hated working on cars from the snowbelt, namely IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, MI. They have to be the worst states for salt abuse. I know there are more states that use salt, but I think their cars must disintegrate before they can stray too far from home.

Funny how it's illegal in Colorado to use salt on the roads (except for a portion of I-25 in Denver) and they seem to get around just fine. Anyway, my biggest asking of a favor and a bit of advice together would be to leave your car in those states if you ever move away from them. Your car won't be worth a flip dollar-wise and nobody will want to work on them. Better for me to tell you than to find out on your own...

Beav
Old 01-04-2002, 06:17 PM

Registered SVX
Beav,

If you live in CO (Denver area) please see the message that I posted in the tech. question formum about helping a young lady.

Thanks,

Larry III
Old 01-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
No longer there Boy I miss the mountains! I was supposed to go there for vacation and do all the fun stuff but my ticker decided otherwise (and just two weeks before I was set to go.) I just graduated cardiac rehab today and all the docs gave a me a clean bill of health so I guess I'll be there next summer.

I guess to some this will seem to be a silly thing but I've found in the past to wait things out a bit. I'm soooo busy at work and have soooo little time to do the things I want that I've grown careful over the years when it comes to divulging my location. I hate to turn someone down when they need help but in order to have any semblance of a normal life (now more than ever) I simply can't do side work. Now that I'm familiar with those here that live near me I feel comfortable that they're not the kind to take advantage of anyone, let alone me. Unfortunately just the opposite has happened in the past, elsewhere, and that's why I initially refrained.

With that said, my travels have taken me from Cincinnati, OH (birthplace) to Fort Lauderdale, FL (my 'formative' years ), Denver and Evergreen, CO, Vero Beach, FL, Springfield, MO. and finally to Louisville, KY. I think I'll be hanging aorund here for a while unless I move back to the mountains.

Beav
Old 01-04-2002, 11:49 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
No longer there Boy I miss the mountains! I was supposed to go there for vacation and do all the fun stuff but my ticker decided otherwise (and just two weeks before I was set to go.) I just graduated cardiac rehab today and all the docs gave a me a clean bill of health so I guess I'll be there next summer.

I guess to some this will seem to be a silly thing but I've found in the past to wait things out a bit. I'm soooo busy at work and have soooo little time to do the things I want that I've grown careful over the years when it comes to divulging my location. I hate to turn someone down when they need help but in order to have any semblance of a normal life (now more than ever) I simply can't do side work. Now that I'm familiar with those here that live near me I feel comfortable that they're not the kind to take advantage of anyone, let alone me. Unfortunately just the opposite has happened in the past, elsewhere, and that's why I initially refrained.

With that said, my travels have taken me from Cincinnati, OH (birthplace) to Fort Lauderdale, FL (my 'formative' years ), Denver and Evergreen, CO, Vero Beach, FL, Springfield, MO. and finally to Louisville, KY. I think I'll be hanging aorund here for a while unless I move back to the mountains.

Beav
This place is getting thick with Kentuckians. I suppose you know that this means that you, dart, huck and me have got to get together now . . . when you're feeling up to it and the weather gets better.

By the way, I've got this little thing that needs fixin', do you think . . . JUST KIDDING. Hope we can get together.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI