SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Post Transmission

For those unfortunate to have tranny troubles you might consider Jasper Engines ( www.jasperengines.com ), they recently upgraded their nationwide warranty to three years / 75,000 miles. I've had pretty good luck with them, however, as always, YMMV.

Beav
Old 01-21-2002, 08:43 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
For those unfortunate to have tranny troubles you might consider Jasper Engines ( www.jasperengines.com ), they recently upgraded their nationwide warranty to three years / 75,000 miles. I've had pretty good luck with them, however, as always, YMMV.

Beav
Beav, thanks for that post. If this one truly goes south, I'll probably go visit. They're only 45 minutes away. The last time I lost my tranny, it was a "time issue" as well as a money issue. 4,600.00 was too much to pay for a suby reman, and two weeks was too long to wait for them to get it in and install it. I was only a week away from the Vermont meet and the rebuilder that I finally settled on said he could get it done in a week. I wound up driving straight from the shop to Vermont. Hopefully, I'll have a little more notice this time around.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-21-2002, 09:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Beav, thanks for that post. If this one truly goes south, I'll probably go visit. They're only 45 minutes away. The last time I lost my tranny, it was a "time issue" as well as a money issue. 4,600.00 was too much to pay for a suby reman, and two weeks was too long to wait for them to get it in and install it. I was only a week away from the Vermont meet and the rebuilder that I finally settled on said he could get it done in a week. I wound up driving straight from the shop to Vermont. Hopefully, I'll have a little more notice this time around.
Off, topic, but...

I'm still blown away by the response I got to that meet. The distance that people drove and the time they committed to my silly little meet was amazing.

I miss VT, but I'm glad I got to do that meet before I left.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-21-2002, 09:28 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Nick, I don't consider that "off topic" at all -- at least, in my case. "Tranny Adventure" and "Vermont Meet" go hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.

It was a GREAT meet. Shari and I enjoyed ourselves a lot.

In staying with the on/off topic thought, I've tried contacting Brian Chaplinski within the past couple of weeks (Never2phat). If you recall, his last and quick post here had said that he was battling cancer. Haven't heard from him since. I'd sure like to know how his fight is going. If anyone else knows how to get in touch with him, let me know. Alls I know is that he lives in Carlisle, PA, and, at last check, with his mother. I don't know her name, so, I'm having trouble tracking him down.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-21-2002, 02:41 PM
Lowered SVX

beav.....

i didnt know the did trannies. hmmmmm....i have got a jasper right here local myself. good info.....
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-21-2002, 03:24 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Angry Gearing Down

for more expense!!!

Hi guys, been off the Network for a while, but I am back with problems. My recent refurbishment, '96 tranny into '91 SVX has gone gaga over the weekend.

The car had been showing very occasional gear-misses, whizzing to redline, then driving OK, but on a long trip Saturday, this turned nasty. Started to rev out while overtaking under kick-down.

Today, I seem to have only two forward gears, first and third. My mechanic/engineer is perplexed, the car is only back on road three months.[Three months of good fun though!] The diagnosis is worn brake band, same band does 2nd and 4th.

Strangely, this time the car is able to rev through from 1st to 3rd, so is quite driveable. However, I am p'd off and di$$appointed. The box has to come out, and we suspect there may be seals gone internally.

In the interest of research for the network, I have checked out how the car drives with many gear combinations, but there are still one or two variations untested.
Have done about 50 miles, 1st gear only. No, I don't recommend that one.
Currently done 150+ with 1st and 3rd. OK . Don't race anybody from the lights.
Have done 12,000+ with 3rd gear only. Advice as above. Interesting at motorway speeds. No lazy-assed top gear, so storm trooper from 80 up.
However, I'm missing 2nd gear already. That punch as you join the motorway, shoot across two/three lanes, and are 10 car lengths away and dissappearing before they hit the flashers! Guess I will have to buy a thicker brake band this time around!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-21-2002, 03:36 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Tranny warnings....

Could one of the wise please let me know what I might experience when (and if) the tranny starts south... I haven't had an automatic since my 59 chevy wagon. (broke that one too)
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 01-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Lowered SVX

jesus......

you are in some serious dire straights my friend. i would wish you luck but.......sounds like you need the lottery.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-21-2002, 04:21 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Tranny warnings....

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
Could one of the wise please let me know what I might experience when (and if) the tranny starts south... I haven't had an automatic since my 59 chevy wagon. (broke that one too)
Mitch

"wise" is an ill fitting adjective here. See my post above. I too, like you, am an innocent abroad. Really abroad. I had read many posts about 2-3 "flares". I thought they were talking about 1960's bell-bottoms, there are lots of old geezers on this site.

Too late, I found out otherwise. I used to hum Paul Simon's "Slip sliding away" to myself as I drove when I had manual gearbox cars, it was a nice approximation of my driving style around corners. Now, alas, I can hum it going forwards also, thanks to the nice Mr Fuji and his chocolate autobox.

When I get this car fixed and saleable, I may well do the unthinkable, and look for a dull-as-ditchwater totally reliable German Audi/BMW/Merc/VW. Maybe the rest of the world are not as stupid and unimaginative as I take them to be.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-22-2002, 09:09 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Transmission

Hey Beav,

Do you know if Jasper does SVX Trans? I went on their site and they listed nuttin for Subaru...

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

Beav
Old 01-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I've never run into a problem where they couldn't supply anything we've asked for, but I'll try to contact our sales rep in the next day or so and double check.

Beav