How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-09-2001, 08:46 AM
ehyde111

Question cell phone holder

Does anyone have a cell phone holder that you are happy with? I've been looking for one for the SVX but haven't had any luck. I have a small Motorola flip phone that I would like to mount open (so I can see the display) while I am driving so I can see an incomming call. Otherwise, I never hear the phone ring--keep the cd player up too loud.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2001, 12:54 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Re: cell phone holder

Quote:
Originally posted by ehyde111
Otherwise, I never hear the phone ring--keep the cd player up too loud.

Thanks
kids

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 12-09-2001, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: cell phone holder

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions

kids

Steve
I happen to think that increasing the volume of my stereo is a wonderful way to drown out the noise of a screaming child

I don't have any, is it obvious?
Old 12-09-2001, 01:11 PM
ehyde111

Re: Re: Re: cell phone holder

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

I happen to think that increasing the volume of my stereo is a wonderful way to drown out the noise of a screaming child

I don't have any, is it obvious?
I knew someone would understand.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:47 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<Does anyone have a cell phone holder that you are happy with?>>

I have the Cellport 3000 Voice Activated Hands Free Kit and I am VERY happy with the performance. I also have a StarTac.

I mounted the kit myself, I placed the mic on the headliner between the overhead console and the driver's visor and have the speaker sitting under the driver's seat facing forward.

The cradle itself is mounted on the center console just left of the shifter. I removed the shifter faceplate and mounted it in existing holes from the previous owner's cellphone. I put a few washers under the right side so it angles a little toward me and not straight up.

It works great. I have a 3db external antenna which really helps in the Titanium coated SVX.

The voice activation is great. I simply say "Cellport, dial, 555-1212 and it responds "dialing 5,5,5,1,2,1,2" and it dials the phone. You can also answer the phone with voice commands and teach it to recall your phone's address book by voice.

The Cellport system is a two part product. The universal base, then the cradle for your particular phone. It has been universally adopted by car manufactures (except GM who is still trying to nurse the Onstar system) for factory installed standard equipment for 2003.

Basically, Your 2003 Ford, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, etc. will have the Cellport dock in it. You simply go to Best Buy and buy the cellport cradle for your model of phone and snap it in. when you buy a new phone, simply change the cradle and use your new phone hands free.

Man, I sound like an infomercial, but I really do like this product. If you have different phones between you and your wife (or girlfriend), simply keep the other cradle in the glove box and whoever uses the car just snaps in their cradle and then their phone.

I'll snap some digital pictures of my install tonight and post them for you to see.

I bought my system for about $275 with anatenna and cradle from www.powercallsirens.com and installed it myself.

I also put on in our truck but, I disabled the Onstar and hooked the Cellport to use the built in mic and play the speaker through the stereo like the Onstar did. It sounds 1000 times better than the Cellport speaker.

If you have an aftermarket stereo, it may have a phone input on it as many new stereos do. Then it will soften the music and play the phone through the stereo whenever the phone rings.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-13-2001, 09:11 AM

Update -

I went to take pictures and my camera's batteries were dead. I'm going to pick some up during lunch and I'll get the pictures up tonight.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 12-15-2001, 05:35 AM
ehyde111

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
<<Does anyone have a cell phone holder that you are happy with?>>

I have the Cellport 3000 Voice Activated Hands Free Kit and I am VERY happy with the performance. I also have a StarTac.

. . .

Doug
Doug, sounds like a great setup. I'll check it out. We don't have best buy around here, but I'm sure I can fine it at Circuit City or somewhere on the web. I'll look forward to the pics.

THanks
Old 12-15-2001, 12:42 PM

I finally placed the photos in my locker

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mohrds

The speaker under the seat is temporary. I am going to wire it into the radio so the sound plays through all speakers. I just need to build an adapter to the stock harness to allow for it.

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker
Old 12-17-2001, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
For those of you who don't mind looking like Captain Kirk or Lara Croft, check out the AVANT http://www.axyys.com/axyys/avant/avant_overview.htm

Uses infrared signals (like your TV remote) for wireless communication. No static or other electrical interference

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-17-2001, 09:05 AM

Its cute, but the Startac already has a headset jack. I bought a $29 headset from Hello-direct.com and I can use it with the hands free kit I have.

I plug in the headset, set it on the console and drive off because the incoming ring comes through the speakerphone when docked, not the headset. If it rings, I just place the headset on my head and say "cellport, answer".

Doug
1994 LSi (4/93)

1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion

My Locker