Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-16-2003, 06:53 AM

Now, it's a "tranny buzz" . . .

i've been chasing down buzzing noises for a couple of years, now. first, it was tearing off heatshields, then the ante went up and i sprung for a new main catalytic. wait, there's more! recently, i found small holes in the header pipes where they fasten to the converter flange (this, about a year after the cat replacement) so i raked over some more cash to replace those.

meantime, this rasping, buzzing noise persisted at approximately 2,500 to 4,000 RPM or so; i began to search on this board and found many SVXers had cut out the resonator or put in a glass pack. so i replaced it, also, to the consternation of the guys in the shop who insisted the old resonator was OK.

they (the dealer) are telling me the buzzing sound is coming from the transmission. HOW CAN THIS BE? i've had my tranny overhauled (new pumps, clutches, torque converter, etc.) about three years ago.

I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! the car is a 92 w/120K on it; all major service has been performed. (i've spent thousands keeping this thing up.) it pulls strongly all the way up to 6,000 and everything works. everything i've ever had to fix on this car has held up under use; not like some other cars where you have to fix the same thing twice.

everything, that is, except for THIS DAMN BUZZING RACKET that really intrudes on the enjoyment of this fine car.

TIA,
rB
Old 05-16-2003, 07:08 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
WOW!!! I think we have the same problem. Mine does that too. About 2500-4000 just like yours. Sounds like a heat shield, but no exhasut work has fixed it. Does yours seem to really buzz most on a shift from 1st to 2nd? Mine does. I was hoping it was just exhaust stuff, but apparently it could be transmission. What would buzz on the tranny though? It makes me so mad because my KC exhaust sounds beautiful, but it's overshadowed by that buzz...makes it sound like I have a nice exhaust sytem that was installed wrong or something. Yea...I'd love to have some help on this topic. Should I bother replacing my 3rd cat? I already cut the first 2, and the buzz is still there. The heat shields have been taken off the pipes leading to the 3rd cat (except for the 3 into 1 "header" heat shields) and that didn't get rid of it. It drives me crazy. Some of you really smart SVX guys...give us some help!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-16-2003, 08:24 AM

no, SVX10, i'd leave that third cat alone. changed mine ($350 plus labor) a few years ago, and it didn't do a thing.

a Mustang GT i had once went through two sets of cats that used to rattle, but this was not the problem with the Subie.

we do need help with this i think.

rB