IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 09:08 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

I ordered 10 prototypes of the new boards with the nitrous control. It'll take a lil more than a week to get them and I'll do the final tuning for the base code as well as the n20 code at mastro right away. The prototypes will be green instead of yellow but they will make you go just as fast. If anyone in here is too anxious to wait the extra month for the production run memory adaptors I'll be happy to put together anywhere up to 8 nitrous kits with prototypes. I won't take any orders untill I post the dyno plots but expect 100 hp at the wheels.
Can i ask what your expecting the chip to make with intake and exhuast? Also will i be running into any big problems running your chip with a 100shot dry?
phil
Old 02-21-2004, 12:23 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

too tell you the truth right now all i REALLY need is for my pesky 6500 rpm fuel cut to be changed to 7400, allowing me to retard th exhaust cam a few degrees and shift the powerband up more usuable and,shift at 7 or alittle higher....how much would you charge for a rom that did that?
phil

Last edited by Phast SVX; 02-21-2004 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'm not sure I'd recomend it but if you did it you'd want the fuel and timing tables expanded too so that they cover up to 7400 rpm's. I'll look at it and see if I think you'll be ok with either the guesses the ecu will make without the expanded tables or if I interpolated (guess) from the existing tables to expand the rpms a little higher. If either is the case I can move the rpm threshold. You'll have to wait for the production run though. I'm going to reserver the prototype boards people who want nitrous kits.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:02 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
I'm not sure I'd recomend it but if you did it you'd want the fuel and timing tables expanded too so that they cover up to 7400 rpm's. I'll look at it and see if I think you'll be ok with either the guesses the ecu will make without the expanded tables or if I interpolated (guess) from the existing tables to expand the rpms a little higher. If either is the case I can move the rpm threshold. You'll have to wait for the production run though. I'm going to reserver the prototype boards people who want nitrous kits.
That would be great! Just a little FYI, our engines are used in dune biggues and airplanes in stock form up to 7400 rpms consistntly( in air planes that means long periods of time over seven!) by pantera perormance. He simply moves to power band higher slightly.
phil
Old 02-21-2004, 12:16 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX

Can i ask what your expecting the chip to make with intake and exhuast? Also will i be running into any big problems running your chip with a 100shot dry?
phil
I just saw your previous post about running the chip with your 100 hp dry shot. It's obviously not tuned for that system. Still it might be better than running your kit with no chip since at least then the timing is backed off while the nitrous is on. Have you run on a dyno with a gas analyzer? I assume your system puts n20 to the fuel pressure regulator thus boosting the fuel pressure...even so I'm guessing you are running dangerously lean. I'd be skeptical that you are getting 100 hp out if too. That's a lot of fuel to get out of our injectors.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:29 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

i have full access to a dynojet here, so i might as well make it RWD while i get all this sorted out. Quite a few people are running 100 dry, and i do suspect as you suggest it is running near the duty of the injectors. What has been your analysis as of far. Most of the time im running a 50 dry. If your going to be selling packages maybe i could get the injectors/ecu remap and use my nitrous kit, with the new injectors allowing for plenty of flow when called upon by the fpr(your correct, it merely bumps up fuel pressure) ?
phil
Old 02-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
i have full access to a dynojet here, so i might as well make it RWD while i get all this sorted out. Quite a few people are running 100 dry, and i do suspect as you suggest it is running near the duty of the injectors. What has been your analysis as of far. Most of the time im running a 50 dry. If your going to be selling packages maybe i could get the injectors/ecu remap and use my nitrous kit, with the new injectors allowing for plenty of flow when called upon by the fpr(your correct, it merely bumps up fuel pressure) ?
phil
The 1st kit i'm going to sell is a wet kit so that most of the fuel is sprayed through the fogger nozles. The memory adaptor has a plug on it for a single wire which you will hook up to the throttle switch from your nitrous oxide system. When that switch activates your nitrous it will also send a voltage to the memory adaptor telling it to switch to a second set of code. The code located at that second location will fine tune the air fuel mixture and use a much less advanced timing map. Both giving more power and making the system much much safer. You're pretty ballsy to be running nitrous on a 10:1 compression engine with as much timing advance as the svx has (our ignition advance goes as high as 50 degrees). I chose to offer this kit first in order to keep entry level price down as it doesn't require new fuel injectors.

I will be offer a 2nd kit later which includes NISMO 555cc injectors and a dry nitrous system. Because of the injectors though, that kit will cost twice as much. Nismo injectors are expensive and lesser injectors just aren't good enough to consider.

The problem with trying to go half and half with the stuff I'm offering and with your kit is that it bumps up the fuel pressure alot and will completely screw up the fuel tuning. I hate to tell you to scrap what you've got but the best thing to do might be ebay your current kit then get the complete set up from us.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:36 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:

That would be great! Just a little FYI, our engines are used in dune biggues and airplanes in stock form up to 7400 rpms consistntly( in air planes that means long periods of time over seven!) by pantera perormance. He simply moves to power band higher slightly.
phil
Does everyone with a 5spd agree on 7400 rpms as the magic # you would like? I'm looking at the stock ecucode now (well the 92 tsb code) and the stock rpm limit looks to start at 6600 with a final cut at 6700. A couple of keystrokes and it's raised let's ge a consensus on what to raise it to.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Superbeast

Sure why not, blowing stuff up is cool.

I'm not sure I understand 100%. So I can buy a chip that will provide correct fuel and ign maps to run 100shot of nitrous to 7,400 RPM's?

If so what exactly is going to be included with the chip as far as the nitrous kit, and what kinda price and time table are we looking at?

Also I assume the maps will have to be based on fuel octain rating right? I run on 93 anyway (used to be 94 but they don't carry it anymore ) so will that be considered?

I was very close to getting a Zex kit, like really, really soon. But if this set up is anywhere near compleation or price comparability, I might hold out for a little wile.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-21-2004, 08:20 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I can't race ya man if ya have Nitrous... that would be an unfair advantage... If ya get that then I'll just forfit

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking why not an even 7500?

All kidding aside, has anyone done any research into what kind of factor of safety the Subaru engineers built into the engine? If the code shows 6700 now, bumping up to 7500 is only a 12% increase. I'm guessing that those of us with automatics will have a little more safety margin due to the dampening effect of the torque convertor (vs the 5spd's clutch).
I'm still sorting out the suspension on my '92, so I'm looking at a couple of months before I'm ready to get into the engine. That said, I'm very interested in the stage 2 system. Any thought of going with the Impreza (?) fpr that Mychailo is running now to go with the NISMO injectors?
-Bill (once a Mechanical Engineer, always a Mechanical Engineer - though this ECU stuff has me thinking I should have taken more EE courses! )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-21-2004, 08:34 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I have heard that the Valve system of a relativly new engine (10,000miles ish...) should be good to about 8,000 and maybe even 8,500rpm.... However I would feel better replacing my springs and possibly valves first before I turned over 7,500rpm...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Sure why not, blowing stuff up is cool.

I'm not sure I understand 100%. So I can buy a chip that will provide correct fuel and ign maps to run 100shot of nitrous to 7,400 RPM's?

If so what exactly is going to be included with the chip as far as the nitrous kit, and what kinda price and time table are we looking at?

Also I assume the maps will have to be based on fuel octain rating right? I run on 93 anyway (used to be 94 but they don't carry it anymore ) so will that be considered?

I was very close to getting a Zex kit, like really, really soon. But if this set up is anywhere near compleation or price comparability, I might hold out for a little wile.
The kit will include everything. Edelbrock is making us custom kits to our specs specifically for the svx. We then add in a memory adaptor with two sets of code which switches to the second set of code when the nitrous is engaged. That allows us to fine tune one set of code for more horse power daily driving and another set of code with both the ignition advance retard it so there is no detonation and the air fuel ratio for optimal horsepower under nitrous (a lower afr than without). Well be putting approximately an additional 100 hp to the wheels. We expect to charge $1049 for the whole works.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:03 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

maybe you should contact the guys at pantera, im sure they could give you a better idea of what would be best?
phil
Old 02-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Just some dude.

Re: why not an even 7500?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
All kidding aside, has anyone done any research into what kind of factor of safety the Subaru engineers built into the engine? If the code shows 6700 now, bumping up to 7500 is only a 12% increase. I'm guessing that those of us with automatics will have a little more safety margin due to the dampening effect of the torque convertor (vs the 5spd's clutch).
I'm still sorting out the suspension on my '92, so I'm looking at a couple of months before I'm ready to get into the engine. That said, I'm very interested in the stage 2 system. Any thought of going with the Impreza (?) fpr that Mychailo is running now to go with the NISMO injectors?
-Bill (once a Mechanical Engineer, always a Mechanical Engineer - though this ECU stuff has me thinking I should have taken more EE courses! )
Those of us with automatics will never see those higher rpms. Our shift points won't change so we'll still be shifting below even the stock rpm limit. The increase in the rpm limit is only for those running manuals because they switched to a lower gearing moving away from the svx's optimal powerband.

As far as switching the fuel pressure regulator it is uneccasary and a lil contrary to the point. The svx runs at 33 psi which is a good pressure to run the larger NISMO fuel injectors at. Switching to the larger fuel injector is the correct way to get more fuel. Bumping up the fuel pressure is just a bandaid people use to avoid paying for the fuel injectors.