Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-23-2014, 05:54 PM

In dash cup holders..

So... We all know that SVX cup holders are.. shall we say ummm "less than exemplary" LOL..

I was splashing around on FleaBay, and found this.. If you have the basic 1 din stereo ( no cd player), it goes right in to the second bay. If you want to ditch the cd player, it should work too, for the premium stereo system.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191068933810?...84.m1438.l2649

Yeah... but what do you want for less than $15.00?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: In dash cup holders..

this has already been explored/looked into. Search is your friend

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...+holder&page=2

Last edited by 1986nate; 03-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM

Search would be my friend if it would let me search for something less than three letters long

I was just so overwhelmed with boyish enthusiasm that it never occurred to me to check lol..

My bubble is burst... sigh..

But you are absolutely right..
Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM
#lolsvx

Registered SVX

Plot twist: I have a double din. What do I do?
STi Airlift Performance air suspension
2005 WRX manual swap
Rear wheel drive
K-Staff front bumper
Delta Speed side skirts
JDM clear corners
Smallcar grille
Subaru XT steering wheel
Subaru XT shift knob

First bagged SVX in the world
Worlds first SVX on air suspension.
Custom made (by myself) spare tire subwoofer.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 PM

This is such a busy forum now, God forbid we have a secondary post on a cup holder.

92 SVX LSL - 231k (SOLD!)
97 Legacy Outback - 227k
04 Porsche Cayenne S - 99k
95 Ford Ranger - 220k
Old 03-26-2014, 07:30 PM

@ B 4 You.. Do you mean you have a double DIN aftermarket stereo installed? Or, you have the factory " premium stereo" installed? If it's the latter, I guess the question could be, can you live without the factory CD player, and can it be amputated from the head unit?

The 1 DIN cup holder would seem to work best with the 1 DIN head on the bottom and the cup holder on top ( that's the way it is from the factory in my WRX ), the cup holders pop out of the dash, and the bottoms of the cups hang over the front of the stereo). If you put the cup holder insert in the bottom, it'd block the stereo anyway, and have nowhere for the bottom of the cups to settle into, as they would ( by the looks of the pics) hit the access door. SVXs' also came with 1 DIN "regular" stereos... no CD player and I think, wired for only four speakers. I didn't really look into it that much. I'm sure there are members on this site that have a LOT more experience with that aspect of SVX stereo wiring.

I've never actually used my CD player, I don't even know if it works. But, I have been using "Tune in Radio" . 100,000 stations , 2,000,000 podcasts. From my phone to a cassette adapter, the sound is as good or better than FM, so I can't really see using my CD player .. ever..
Old 03-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM977 View Post
This is such a busy forum now, God forbid we have a secondary post on a cup holder.

just yesterday my coffee lid was loose and slopped all over the inside of my center console cupholders. easy cleanup, contained in the cupholder (in my car, a big plastic "tub" that holds two cups).

would you really want your stereo and climate controls covered in the beverage of your choice? i think the DIN-mount cupholder is just a very bad idea.

i'm thinking about this for the 928 (also no cupholders :angry: )

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 03-27-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Alan,

wow - what a cool idea, where do you get that from....
1995 LSI, Added the following - Gear Firm-Up unit (that I sell) together with Power TCU ROM & Power switch, K&N air filter, SVX side badges (USA type), Rear Deck Blower (JDM type), Side front markers (USA type), Side rear markers (USA type), Middle rear light (USA type), USA OEM Fog Lights fitted into NZ OEM glass (NZ OEM headlights had only reflectors fitted) Full set of yellow (90SH) Polish bushes includes 15 min mod, R1 Concepts drilled/slotted/gold finish rotors & Red covered braided brake lines (both from Dayle at Motorsport warehouse), EBC Redstuff brake pads. Full SVX bra (only used for shows). Koni adjustable inserts fitted inside OEM strut body, Zoom lowering springs (2" lower), OEM headlight washers fitted.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post

just yesterday my coffee lid was loose and slopped all over the inside of my center console cupholders. easy cleanup, contained in the cupholder (in my car, a big plastic "tub" that holds two cups).

would you really want your stereo and climate controls covered in the beverage of your choice? i think the DIN-mount cupholder is just a very bad idea.

i'm thinking about this for the 928 (also no cupholders :angry: )
I have done just that. In the 97 (gen) Legacy, the cup holder is right above the stereo. When I replaced my old one, I noticed all kinds of sticky crap on it. Most likely soda, coffee and god knows what else. I'm surprised it even worked.

92 SVX LSL - 231k (SOLD!)
97 Legacy Outback - 227k
04 Porsche Cayenne S - 99k
95 Ford Ranger - 220k
Old 03-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Alan,

wow - what a cool idea, where do you get that from....

I forget.

I think a VW Vanagon accessory site was selling them. Google image search it I guess. I thought I had it bookmarked, but apparently I didn't.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-29-2014, 08:35 PM

Well, the only thing I can say about stuff getting slopped onto the stereo controls is ... It's all about proper orifice orientation! The worst offenders? The "Fold Back" POS plastic lids that never stay folded back! IMHO the "Fold Back", should be aligned in the holder so that a line drawn from your finger tips across the lid and passing the edge of your thumb should terminate at your left nipple. This ensures several important aspects of both utilization and functional physics! When positioned as described, normal human physiology dictates that the simple act of drawing the cup to the mouth will result in proper mouth / drink container orifice alignment without having to risk a potentially embarrassing / dangerous situation that may result from having to look down to see where the opening is! Distracted driving is dangerous driving! There's a reason Subaru engineers went through the trouble and expense of including " One touch up", "One touch down" driver's window switch functionality. It's all about staying focused on enjoying the "SVX" experience without detraction or distraction! The EXACT same reason why proper orifice positioning is crucial! Additional benefits to proper orifice orientation? The only "Dribble point" is now predictable and more easily controlled! It won't leak on braking unless the braking is severe and the drink is almost full, as the correct orientation of the drink in the holder leaves the closed part of the opening closest to the dash / radio controls. Left hand lateral acceleration, whether it be of an emergency nature, or, simply due to a certain amount of "boyish ( or girlish, as the case may be),enthusiasm", also leaves you reasonably well protected against an unplanned discharge. The only maneuver left to consider is right hand lateral acceleration, and it's evil cousin... right hand lateral acceleration combined with acceleration! Although sometimes unavoidable, you can rest assured that simply moving your right knee towards the driver's door will result in any unavoidable discharge simply landing on the rubber floor mats that protect your pristine, untouched by anything but a vacuum cleaner, factory carpeting! Because, sometimes, "lifting"... just isn't an option! You can carry on, without worry, secure in the knowledge that your pants aren't stained and your "baby" is unblemished!

"Where do you get those"... "I forget".. ..

Hmmmm... What to do now? I can't "Google" my way outta a wet paper bag.. I never seem to use the right words to get the results i want. I definitely know I'm out of my depth when the site search engine rejects words with three letters or less.. or, words that it arbitrarily considers "common".. But wait! Google doesn't have those constraints! I have a chance to atone for not being a search Guru.

Here's some of the results from splashing around with ..

Enjoy!

It's on a gimbal.. so it can do double duty as an accellerometer.

"Jeez, dude.. how fast did you take that ramp at?"

" I don't know, but the straw was pointing at my door handle"

http://www.westmarine.com/boatmates-...+Redirect+Link

Clean and crisp..

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

Fold up.. fold away.. single holder.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fischer-cup-holder

The fold up one for the Westfallia.. I couldn't find... anywhere, but this one was from a Wesfallia site.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_detai...ory_parent_id=

Wedges between the seats, so it could be removed when not needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336118867-20

A bit pricey, but an interesting mount system.

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product...&commsource=al

Don't laugh.. Your kids would love it, it'd work. No holes to drill. Hide it when not in use.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Car-Various-M...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Absolutely insensitive, inappropriate, and politically incorrect. I appreciate the practicality and aesthetic value, but it looks kinda high maintenance, may interfere with radio reception and, could cause a premature raise in beverage temperature on longer trips

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...719-post2.html

I tried.. If your Google mojo is better than mine .. post it up!

Let's make this the best "cup holder " thread ever.. Let's try for a "Sticky"
Old 03-31-2014, 05:18 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62059

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 AM

So..

I go to Walmart and grab a cheapie ($10.00 ) cup holder.. I figure I can mount it to the "in car cell phone" mount that the PO left for me..

Sunday, I got delivery on a '96 "donor car".. It has a cup holder in it! I could have sworn that I remembered there being cup holders in an SVX when I test drove that one last October. Then I couldn't figure out why there were none in mine. LOL..

I'll see if it has a part number on it, or if not, I'll ask the previous owner where he got it.

I'll be posting the donor car up here for spare parts available... but the cup holder won't be on the list..