Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 11:56 PM
ThetaReactor

It's not just the volume of air that the blower can push, but the pressures at which it can do so. A traditional supercharger has the torque of the engine spinning it, the leaf blower might be 2hp...
Old 05-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Agreed, but it is better than nothing and especially better than spending $300 on a starter motor driven fan (about 1hp.), octane boosters, cone filters, fuel line magnets, grapefruit shooter mufflers, gutting/removing cats, etc. If you want more pressure place a second one in the other fender and tee in with PVC. It would still be half the price of e-ram and no parasitic losses.

I realize it sounds ludicrous, that's the whole point. People spend so much time and effort for so little return on investment. $300+ for nitrous plus another $35 for three shots of gas with the potential of frying the engine. $50+ for cone filters that allow more garbage to enter the intake and don't even give you any feeling of extra power. Yeah, "the dyno says..." but that is high-end power that HAS to be measured to be detected. $250+ exhaust mods that I'll wager are more detrimental than beneficial. Bigger isn't always better, the more air standing in the pipe, the harder it is to push it out. The bigger the pipe, the lower the velocity. If you like the rush of acceleration the gear ratio changes are probably the most cost effective and rewarding.

But they still cost more than $79.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Btw

I hope y'all know I'm joking around. However...

http://www.boosthead.com/faq.php
Old 05-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Registered SVX
Your SVX gained 5 mph?, from 94 to 99 mph in the quarter? That's more than 12 horsepower. Who has their calculator programmed for these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredx2
Well the eRAM is a little high powered fan that forces extra air into the engine at WOT.I've known about this product for years but I HAD MY DOUBTS.But I must say it does work judging by the mph I gained,I don't have a scanner to post timeslips,its a waste of money to me.I am not telling no one to buy one,but this little gadget actually works fairly well.I'm still not purchasing one because 300 dollars is too steep for say 10-12 hp.I guess if your car is already modded for extra airflow it will work fairly well and vice versa.Anyway I wouldn't even post a low 15,thats below the standards of this fwd bullet.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 05-09-2005, 05:40 PM
SnowPlow

Quote:
I hope y'all know I'm joking around. However...

http://www.boosthead.com/faq.php
This one sounds like it could be possibly real, maybe not as impressive as they make it, but it could work. (or am I being dazzled by their "boosted" claims).

I just wondered what kind of drawbacks it would have on your airflow when this system is not working/recharging.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:42 PM
SnowPlow

has anyone seen the Knight echarger in action... on any vehicle?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
I got my car back from ammco with my new tranny.I ran a few passes at the track but I didn't manage a single 14 second pass I hit about 15.0-15.3 at around 94 mph.Which is due to my tires are very slick.I met a kid with a civic that had that e ram supercharger,he swore this thing was awesome,well he did run 15.7 at 88mph with the eram on and16.2 at 85mph with it off,well I paid him 40 bucks to test it out.We had it on the svx in about 20 minutes.My times were still 15.1-3 but at about 99mph,I must say that this thing really pulls hard the faster you go.I like this gadget but truly won't pay 300 dollars for it,maybe two,also I notice that my voltmeter would lose nearly half a volt when the eram is on.Any thoughts
This is really good info and I thank you poweredx2 for posting it. You can expect the jokes and cracks on the product. I've read about this product for years as well and I never believed it would work. Had I had connections or a friend that had it, I would've happily tested it out and posted the results.

You gained 5mph with this unit on. That's a SIGNIFICANT hp gain for $300 in a heavy SVX. I'm interested. If you have a used unit I may test out, I'd happily test it out at the track on either of my XT6s or my Outback Sport. I'll also dyno before and after test results as well on another board. Again, thanks for testing and sharing your results. I'm still weary of paying that kind of money for it though.

I'll go about looking for a used unit now. I'm not looking for quicker 1/4 mile times. 5mph is a nice gain though. With fuel adjustments, a mph or two may be able to be had on top of this.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 05-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
Why pay $300 when you can buy the Turbonator for >100 dollars, my buddy has one it kicks.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:10 PM

I Bought The Tornato About A Year Ago. And I Notice A Slight Difference In Performance, Not Bad For $70 Dollars At Napa... I Still Have It In The Svx... I Guess It Kind Of Work Like The Iris System. I Creates High Pressure In The Intake.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Why not wire in one of the(electric) remote controled plane engines in with a blade on it some of those are capeable of 3-4 psi in the intake?
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 05-25-2005, 03:59 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
they showed a comparisson and that sucked
Well it looks like it "Blows".... literally

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
Why not wire in one of the(electric) remote controled plane engines in with a blade on it some of those are capeable of 3-4 psi in the intake?
The question is, would it flow more than the intake already does? It can create all the pressure it wants but will it be more than the vaccum that is already there? thats why these electric blowers are useless in my humble opinion. I think the leaf blower mod is a better idea

Tom
Old 05-25-2005, 06:11 PM
RASchemel

Such a waste money. It is a cheese ball part, for cheese ball users.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:04 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
The question is, would it flow more than the intake already does? It can create all the pressure it wants but will it be more than the vaccum that is already there? thats why these electric blowers are useless in my humble opinion. I think the leaf blower mod is a better idea

Tom
I don't get it! Question should be, why does it generate a higher trap speed than an intake without it. How could it flow equal or less flow than then stock intake and get a higher trap speed?
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 05-26-2005, 05:52 PM
SEA Sleeper

Question Trap Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
I don't get it! Question should be, why does it generate a higher trap speed than an intake without it. How could it flow equal or less flow than then stock intake and get a higher trap speed?
Now, I may be exposing some ignorance in the world of drag racing but how is it that his car reached a higher trap speed but had no improvement on his 1/4 mi time?

Quote:
....(BEFORE).... I hit about 15.0-15.3 at around 94 mph....... (AFTER)....My times were still 15.1-3 but at about 99mph...
Could it be because the electric fan was actually restricting flow as well? I'm confused by the fact that he was going faster through the end gate but obtained the same timeslip...