Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Certified Porschephile

Wrc

Does anyone else here follow the WRC? That's World Rally Championship. Subaru is doing fairly well. 3rd in points and Petter Solberg will be world champ with a win in Wales. Petter and former Suby driver Richard Burns (The RB in the Impreza RB5) will be the drivers in 2004. He is currently 4th in points. 2004 could be a big year for Subaru. It's nice to see our parent company do well.

Dan
Old 11-04-2003, 03:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I like Petter a lot and seeign him win the title (if he does) will be thrilling after watching him for a few years. His performance on the final day of last year's Rally GB was the stuff of legends.

I hope Petter wins it. At the same time, seeing Sainz win it again would be interesting.

You're right - with two excellent, fast drivers next year, Subaru could be much closer to the top in points. Could be. We'll see. The 2004 season is really long and not that far away! WOOHOO!

Not to bring such a positive thread (so far) down, but I wouldn't consider Subaru my 'parent' company. I don't work for them, I just like the products they make. If their products dip in quality or no longer fit what I'm looking for in a car, I'll start to wave a different flag.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-04-2003, 05:29 PM
Recluse

Send a message via MSN to Darksied-X Send a message via Yahoo to Darksied-X
I followed it for a while until last year, when my wife got rid of Speed Channel on me.

I'm quite happy that Burns is returning to Subaru, though. Him and Soldberg are my favorite drivers (bug surprise, huh?). Whatever happens, though, I just glad that Makinan (sp) is gone. I can't stand that guy. Even when he wins, he's still an @$$hole.

'03 WRX Wagon, World Rally Blue
'94 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red
'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
(and legally, an '01 Outback VDC skankmobile)
Old 11-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Certified Porschephile

Parent wasn't to imply loyalty or lineage, just the maker of the cars we all love. I sold my SVX, but still have a Forester. I hope to get a Legacy Turbo in the future. They should be back in 2005. As for WRC, as long as we can agree that the Ford is junk. They are the most recalled vehicles in America. I also own a Nissan. It'd be nice to see them enter the WRC with a Sentra SE-R Spec-V rally car. I have a Pathfinder now, and I love it.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:52 AM

I love the WRC!

The last challenge is live on TV in Europe
I hope Petter goes for the title!

Maybe it's raining in Wales, cause Petter is unbeatable in the rain.

Wish him all the best!

mfg hrc
Old 11-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Recluse

Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
Parent wasn't to imply loyalty or lineage, just the maker of the cars we all love. I sold my SVX, but still have a Forester. I hope to get a Legacy Turbo in the future. They should be back in 2005. As for WRC, as long as we can agree that the Ford is junk. They are the most recalled vehicles in America. I also own a Nissan. It'd be nice to see them enter the WRC with a Sentra SE-R Spec-V rally car. I have a Pathfinder now, and I love it.
Of course Fords suck. And Nissan would be a nice addition. But if there is any car that I'd like to see in WRC, though, it'd have to be the Mini. I just think it's be cool to see that little thing tearing up the courses.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 11-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Certified Porschephile

I gotta give you props for the Mini. I never thought of that one. Has anyone been to a SCCA Pro Rally here in the US? Dodge races in the US but not the WRC. GM should prepare a WRC or at least a SCCA Saturn ION if they want to get something positive out of that car. It's not that bad looking, but PLEASE no more center gauge clusters. They are so LAME!!!! I'd also like to see an Audi A3 in the WRC. Perfect shape, and Audi has killer AWD history.

Dan
Old 11-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Recluse

Quote:
I gotta give you props for the Mini. I never thought of that one. Has anyone been to a SCCA Pro Rally here in the US? Dodge races in the US but not the WRC. GM should prepare a WRC or at least a SCCA Saturn ION if they want to get something positive out of that car. It's not that bad looking, but PLEASE no more center gauge clusters. They are so LAME!!!! I'd also like to see an Audi A3 in the WRC. Perfect shape, and Audi has killer AWD history.

Dan
I really wanted to go to the Maine Forest Rally this year, but I missed out. I really wish I had, too, it was the last race before Oregon.

If GM did enter a car, it would probably end up being one of the European cars, Opel, Vauxhall, or Saab (maybe the Saabaru?), or possibly Holden. It just makes sense because the rallies are more popular and are actually run in those countries. As for the Audi, VAG's current rally car is the Skoda Octavia. And considering it's luck in rallies (READ: None), I doubt Audi is gonna venture much out of LeMans for the time being. I didn't know that the SCCA Rally Dodge's were factory supported, though. Thats pretty cool, hopefully others will follow.

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 11-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Recluse

Just curious, did anyone see that wild crash at the end of the '02 season? I can't remember the exact race, it was one were one of the Subarus and one of the Peugots were trading the lead throughout the event. The last stage came up, and the Subaru would win the event if it won that stage. The stage was really twisty, which gave the Subaru the advantage. The Subaru was winning, too, but on one of the final turns, it went in too fast, went off-course, and started rolling right toward a spectator. The spectator pulled the old deer-in-headlights manuver, but at the last second the Subaru actually JUMPED over the guy. How lucky was he? Just one of those hard to forget moments.

Also, there is something I wonder if anyone else has ever noticed. In one of the biggest racing series in the world, you have talented driver named Markko Martin driving a blue #6 Ford. In the most popular racing series in the US, you have a talented driver named Mark Martin driving a formerly blue #6 Ford. Coincidence, or just plain weird?

'89 XT6 4WD, Grey & Rust
Old 11-06-2003, 08:14 AM
Certified Porschephile

That would be wierd, but as I hate Fords, no big deal!!!!!!! Markko used to drive for Subaru, as did some other great drivers. I have a dark liking for the Skoda. I have WRC for the PS2 and after the Impreza, the Octavia is my next favorite. I would love to drive the Fabia as it appears more 206-like. Is there a WRC2 out for the PS2?? V-Rally 3 was a good game, but I'm hoping if there is a V-Rally 4 it has better control and possibly some more cars. I agree that a Saab 9-2 or a Vauxhall or Opel would be a GREAT addition to the WRC. I also wonder why Hyundai races the Accent in the WRC, but the Tiberon in SCCA.

Dan
Old 11-06-2003, 09:05 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
That would be wierd, but as I hate Fords, no big deal!!!!!!! Markko used to drive for Subaru, as did some other great drivers. I have a dark liking for the Skoda. I have WRC for the PS2 and after the Impreza, the Octavia is my next favorite. I would love to drive the Fabia as it appears more 206-like. Is there a WRC2 out for the PS2?? V-Rally 3 was a good game, but I'm hoping if there is a V-Rally 4 it has better control and possibly some more cars. I agree that a Saab 9-2 or a Vauxhall or Opel would be a GREAT addition to the WRC. I also wonder why Hyundai races the Accent in the WRC, but the Tiberon in SCCA.

Dan
Hyundai doesn't race the Accent any more - they pulled out of the WRC. As for why they race different cars in different series around the world, remember that motorsport is primarily a marketing venture for manufacturers. Also remember that Hyundai in the US may be a totally different company - like Subaru of America.

The officially licensed WRC title for the PS2 is very, very cool. But I have to say that Colin McRae 3 is awesome. I was hesitant to try it, since I knew that you can only drive the Focus in the career mode, but I really like the game. I think, better than any other rallying game, it provides a real sense of what it's like.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-06-2003, 09:53 AM

Rallye-Games on PS2

I have got WRC II Extreme + Colin McRae Rallye 4 for the PS2!

Both are great Games. In Colin 4 you can drive all cars, not only the Ford Focus

WRC III will be release in December 2004. I already played a demo-version and it's going to be great!

Haven't you got WRC II and Colin 4 over there?

mfg hrc
Old 11-06-2003, 09:58 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Rallye-Games on PS2

Quote:
Originally posted by MartyMcFly
I have got WRC II Extreme + Colin McRae Rallye 4 for the PS2!

Both are great Games. In Colin 4 you can drive all cars, not only the Ford Focus

WRC III will be release in December 2004. I already played a demo-version and it's going to be great!

Haven't you got WRC II and Colin 4 over there?

mfg hrc
Colin 4 was supposed to be released in late September, but I haven't seen any reviews yet. WRC II is apprently here, but I haven't seen it in any stores yet.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 11-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Certified Porschephile

I haven't seen WRC2 yet. If you can drive other cars I might try Colin McRae, but it might have that Ford super-cheat mode where it always runs the best. Anyone try V-Rally 3??? I liked it. The career progression mode from 1.6L FWD to 2.0L AWD cars was a great idea. It just needs more cars next time. I won't drive a Ford or anything french. No real american should. Especially a veteran, especially with what they have done to us.

Dan
Old 11-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I haven't seen WRC2 yet. If you can drive other cars I might try Colin McRae, but it might have that Ford super-cheat mode where it always runs the best. Anyone try V-Rally 3??? I liked it. The career progression mode from 1.6L FWD to 2.0L AWD cars was a great idea. It just needs more cars next time. I won't drive a Ford or anything french. No real american should. Especially a veteran, especially with what they have done to us.

Dan
I don't think that the car I choose to drive reflects my patriotism (we are, after all, members of a forum about a foreign car) one bit. Racing cars are tools, and presented with them in a game I'm just going to choose the one that best fits my needs at the time. And if I can only drive a Focus in Colin's game because they developed the physics and damage model to such a degree for that one car, so be it.

It really bothers me when people say things like, 'a real American drives insert make/model.' Or, 'you don't love your country if you drive a Japanese car.'

What a load. If the car that fit my needs (or wants) came from freaking Mars, I'd buy one, even if I had to wait until they were done invading us.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE