Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-14-2014, 01:50 AM

Alternator External Bridge Rectifier

Due to the development of the new Quicktifier Remote Rectifier System, upgraded import alternators are now available. Previously, import alternators, such as Mazda (right), Mitsubishi and Nippondenso, could only be upgraded at a stator level, leaving the bridge rectifier dangerously under-rated and unable to handle the increase in output. Such tactics lead to alternators that either won't last or won't charge at the rated output. With the new Quicktifier, a secondary bridge rectifier unit handles the upgraded stator's high output so your new high output alternator will not only last, but will outperform any of the competition. Upgrade to the high output unit that lasts.

• Attaches to your Alternator making them last longer and gives you more of the power that you paid for!
• Reduces "Noise" in car audio systems and two way radios because of the greater number of diodes.
• Bridge rectifier failure is the #1 cause of alternator failure in higher electrical demand situations.
• External Bridge Rectifier helps get heat away from your alternator.
• Greater number of diodes reduces thermal falloff, which is the reduction in power transfer as the alternator heats up (Improves Cold/Hot rating).
• For Trucks, Big Rigs, Heavy Duty, Industrial, Farm, Off-Road and other applications
• Works with Permanent Magnet Alternators (PMA). Quicktifier Diodes are rated at 12V/70 Amps, up to 300 volts AC
• Great if: ◦ Your alternator has failed one too many times (Saves you time and money).
◦ You've added equipment and are concerned about your alternator holding up (Makes your alternator tougher).
◦ Your running an alternative energy or other constant electrical draw type system
◦ You've increased the amperage of your existing alternator and it still has a single bridge rectifier.

http://alternatorparts.com/quicktifi...ier.html#order

Last edited by kjoyes; 02-14-2014 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:29 AM

Re: Alternator External Bridge Rectifier

Have you tracked down the "General Install Instructions" to see what is involved with gaining access to the stator wiring on our SVX alternators ? Edit: Scrolled down and saw the Instructions..no alternator shown like ours and not electrical savvy enough to figure out diagrams completely. Miswired and the alternator is cooked was stressed though.

Last edited by fasteract7; 02-14-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

This is quite large and bulky and takes up a lot of room. The tiny fan doesn't seem like it makes much sense inside a hot, cramped engine compartment.

Doesn't increase voltage or amperage output

They also offer this, in case you have any room left over

http://alternatorparts.com/Remote_Al...ing_System.htm

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 02-14-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM

this is the closest alternator to ours that has it installed.
In the video, he said you can relocate where needed.

Last edited by kjoyes; 02-14-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Why do you think you need this? Is your alternator giving you problems?

I sent this to Christian at Maniac. I'll get her take on this. I guarantee this would void any sort of warranty on the rebuild.

I guess you could mount it inside the front fender to protect it from moisture and engine heat and just run the 3 wires into the engine bay.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

After reading the first post again and their website and their claims, I have made the following observations, and discussed them with someone more technically proficient in this area. These are just my opinions

The Quicktifier circuitry simply connects a second bank of diodes directly in parallel with the existing internal set-up. Provided that the external diode bank has a lower resistance than the existing internal set-up, it should carry the majority of the load.

It states "...The lower amperage, or more worn-out the diodes are in the alternator, the more noise they will make in the electrical lines which comes out your speakers."

Solid state diodes do not wear out or become more worn-out, like moving parts these items either work or fail. The suggestion of significant wasted power is again BS.

"The greater number of diodes offered by adding the Quicktifier opens up the pathway of AC to DC conversion." (It was always open without them)

"The average alternator has 6 diodes in the alternator. The Quicktifier 420 has 12 diodes so if you add that to an alternator that already has 6 diodes you end with a total of 18 diodes. You can imagine current will pass through 18 diodes much easier than it can 6 diodes. The easier pathway increases power conversion and reduces noise in your speakers."

This "product" in fact adds extra unwanted conductors, connections and components, all providing additional opportunities for faults to occur and component pieces to fail.

As it should run at a lower temperature this is a likely scenario, but this is not mentioned in the sales pitch and needs to be proven. As always with this sort of product, the definitive facts are not provided. I would like to see hard, proven data and figures showing increased performance. Before and after measurements of power, temperature reduction, etc.

Having searched various sources, I have not found one person who has reviewed this product. Surely such a device should have testimonials. This has been around for quite some time, over 8 years.

There is absolutely no protection against a short-circuited internal diode which, remaining in parallel, could still impose alternating current on the DC output and cause the "Christmas Tree" effect. In fact, a second set of diodes is included, thus providing twice the opportunity for this fault and scenario.

There cannot be any improvement in maximum alternator output as output remains solely under the control of the voltage regulator. The sole benefit is in reducing the current passed by the OEM diode bank. The argument hangs on the OEM being defective, in both design and manufacture. Any such advantage will be confined to periods when the alternator is running at close to maximum

I believe this idea is pitched to appeal to the gullible audiophile market, more inclined towards spending money on any extras that they can brag about. The key to the product is the I did-it-myself ingredient and the look-at-me factor.

As I said, any OEM or rebuilt guarantees will most certainly be compromised due to modifications and the possibility of faulty connections and the opportunity for external short circuits.

Last edited by svxcess; 02-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

There is nothing special about these. They are just a normal rectifier mounted outboard. It's common sense to take the parts away from the heat, but this is only needed in a SEVERE application. Not worth the time and hassle for a daily vehicle, nor really much for a competition vehicle either as you are mostly dependent upon the battery bank. The funny part is, they are running it in parallel with the rectifier already on the alternator which is doing nothing.

If you're really concerned about this problem, you'd invest in an alternator that is designed for external rectification and voltage regulation in the first place. This is what you will find in emergency vehicles like ambulances, fire trucks large tow trucks and the like.