Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 09-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: If you like this exhaust,

Quote:
Originally posted by NeedForSpeed
Then take a look in mbtoloczko's locker!
Wow! His finished custom exhaust looks amazing...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-23-2005, 12:33 AM
SilVerXtc

wow just found this post. I really like your ideas. What have you done so far? I see you live in Eugene. I live in Springfield and bought a SVX 3 months ago and just recently got a 5-speed with 4:11 gears swaped in. Would love to meet you and check out what you've got done. Keep us updated on your progress.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Engine:
1) Contact Cobb tuning for a stroker kit (custom made)
2) ECU Stage 3 (ask for custom kit for higher boost.)
Or take to Mike and he may be willing to do a stage 4 with a complete engine build. But he would want all the money up front.

Driveline: STI 6speed built for rally, custom made axles and stronger rear diff.

Brakes: Go with a custom made kit that includes both front and rear breaks (many people put large breaks on the front with out doing the rear which can decrease stopping ability)

Can you tell I've thought about this alot. I'm doing a little at a time. Started with the stage 3. next is spoiler, hood w/ scoop, front spitters and paint.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Engine:
1) Contact Cobb tuning for a stroker kit (custom made)
2) ECU Stage 3 (ask for custom kit for higher boost.)
Or take to Mike and he may be willing to do a stage 4 with a complete engine build. But he would want all the money up front.

Driveline: STI 6speed built for rally, custom made axles and stronger rear diff.

Brakes: Go with a custom made kit that includes both front and rear breaks (many people put large breaks on the front with out doing the rear which can decrease stopping ability)

Can you tell I've thought about this alot. I'm doing a little at a time. Started with the stage 3. next is spoiler, hood w/ scoop, front spitters and paint.
I think you're post about brakes is a little uhh... wrong. Putting larger brakes on the front will 99 out of 100 times make the car stop quicker. now, the better your suspension is, the more the rear brakes do (but the variance between work done by the rear brakes with a tight suspension vs a stock suspension is small) upgrading the front brakes with larger rotors, new calipers, better pads etc, while keeping the rears the same size with better pads would be a very good combination. however, depending on the calipers, you may or may not need a proportioning valve, but most likely not.

Almost never would putting better brakes on the front decrease stopping ability.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker

Last edited by drivemusicnow; 05-24-2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:24 PM

stg III and a 6mt would be damn sweet

but you cannot forget a shlumpin stereo too

i say carputer... you could use that to manage your engine as well

i cannot wait to see the results of this
Keep it up!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
I think you're post about brakes is a little uhh... wrong. Putting larger brakes on the front will 99 out of 100 times make the car stop quicker. now, the better your suspension is, the more the rear brakes do (but the variance between work done by the rear brakes with a tight suspension vs a stock suspension is small) upgrading the front brakes with larger rotors, new calipers, better pads etc, while keeping the rears the same size with better pads would be a very good combination. however, depending on the calipers, you may or may not need a proportioning valve, but most likely not.

Almost never would putting better brakes on the front decrease stopping ability.

I'll have to find the tech article I read again. They did eather an EVO or WRX. I dont remember which, but it accually caused a couple ft increase. I believe it was because of inproper valving like you said. They said it could be corected by revalving, however they opted to replace the rear breaks with a set that would match the front. Basiclly what was happening was the front brakes were fully ingaged before the rears could engage enough to do anything. The front were the only tires stopping the vehicle.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:23 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
I hate you, no not really I am just so damn jelous. I have $0 and you have $15,000. You lucky dog. Hey try running all the exotic crap, that we all want to run but don't have the money to, and in that sense you could also be a test. Try www.flatt-racing.com they have some cool stuff, although alot of the other guys disagree.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:59 PM
no limitation as limitation

tranny cooler. with that hp you will need it.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
I think you should get all of this stuff done by july 15 and come to WCSS7 so I can see it.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:03 PM

just curious, so far what all have you done to your car? i've done a lot of research on the svx's for a while now, if you have any questions about what to do with the internals i think i may be able to help you out. also i personally wouldn't go the s/c route. i just sold my mustang about 2 months ago, i had a procharger pushing 14lbs with a front mount intercooler, well i only put down 378hp and 402 lbs of tq. stock internals in the car still with 75k on the motor. about a month before i sold the car i switched to a single turbo setup. put down 409 hp and 471 lbs of tq. on only 8-9 lbs. turbo motors deliever a lot more tq then a s/c. the only benefit i saw with using a twin screw setup such as in the ecu stage 3 is you can get peak boost slightly quicker. but depending on what you want to do you can size a turbo out right and get peak boost around 2800-3000 rpms. the whipple to my knowledge hit's peak boost around 2500-2600 rpms. while the s/c takes 40-55hp to drive compared to the 5 or 10 of a turbo. another thing about a s/c is that it ALWAYS puts a strain on the engine, boost or none. as for the engine itself the bottom end is suprisingly strong stock. only thing i would recommend doing is all new bearings, seals, and custom billet pistons to drop the c/r and handle a higher level of boost. i'll stop now, i can go on all night

Last edited by dieingSVX; 06-05-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 PM

maybe svxfiles would be the one to ask. he supercharged his svx the hard way, by building it himself.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
maybe svxfiles would be the one to ask. he supercharged his svx the hard way, by building it himself.

well hard way for me, fun way for him. the last car i wrenched on had weber carbs.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM

i'm just curious, everybody has an opinion so i figured i'd share mine. but there's always an exception to everything.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 PM

i just wish we had some more room in the bay.... intercooled stage three would be sweet. with side pipes, and a big sticker that says "gimp juice inside" or "gimpin aint easy" with the handicap parking sticker guy on it.